Brown is the new Black

Discussion in 'Members Capris' started by Elliot, 25 April 2019.

1. Elliot

Elliot Big Fabrication Guru Capri Power Member

My passion for Capri's has gone from a hobby to something that now nearly pays the bills. Apart from my own never ending build, I have also been working on several other Capris at the same time. I think it's probably as good a time as any to start a thread on a few of them. I'm going to start with a 3 litre Mk1 that is a current project because hopefully the car is here from rust to roadworthy.

The car is an early Australian Mk1. It had a custom colour ordered by its original first owner which is noted on its tags and I think makes it a little special.

Its an original V6, has had a restoration at some point in its past. We thought it was a reasonable restoration until we started to peal back the layers......

ADB likes this.
  2. Elliot

The car has been with me for a few months already, work has been done on the sills, A posts and front scuttle, so I'll hopefully find time to bring the thread on here up to speed.

First job on the list was to take care of the drivers side sills.

[​IMG]
    Worrying signs someone has been here before

[​IMG]
    Outer sill main section removed. Anyone know Brian from Ararat ?

[​IMG]
    Dodgy patch up repair to the sill !

[​IMG]
    Pretty rotten. Time for a bit of a Birthday.

[​IMG]
    Front section of inner sill looking lovely

[​IMG]
    Most of the front floor although ugly is fairly structurally sound so just going to fit new metal where required.

[​IMG]
    Pretty clean metal under here too

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Initial floor area redone. Replicated factory spot welds

ADB likes this.
  3. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    That rot looks alive! All the nice work we've come to expect from your posts, and good to know Capri owners there are devoted enough to hav you do such work -- but won't these customers wait until you finish your own car?

4. Elliot

[​IMG]
    Cut away the bulhead to A post rotten weld lip.

[​IMG]
    Starting to make up a bit of a thing.

[​IMG]
    Love the shrinker stretcher.

[​IMG]
    Fits there. have also repaired the floor to sill lip at this stage too.

[​IMG]
    I would prefer not to cut and shut inner sills but when most of the original sill steel is good it's a shame to not keep it so decided to just make up a new front section. Hammered and dollied out the S curve, done a few of them over the years and getting not too bad at them now.

[​IMG]
    Looks good.

[​IMG]
    Someones been playing with their mig !
    [​IMG]
    Starting to find a patchwork of previous botch ups under the paint. The inner wheel house behind the sill is also rotted out.

[​IMG]
    Starting to remove all the old repairs
    [​IMG]
    Oof !

[​IMG]
    Made up a new section. Lots of shrinking required. Id like a higher quality shrinker that doesnt mark but they are expensive. Thinking about making one... on my todo list...

[​IMG]
    Have now cut away the rest of the rotten metal in the area.

[​IMG]
    Making up a new corner piece.

[​IMG]
    Im happy with that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Made up a new lower quarter section. Just welded it in. panelbeating at the rear part of thew weld near the arch is problematic, but not stressing too much at this stage as I will likely fit a new arch anyway as its been previously patched (beleive it or not).

[​IMG]
    Photos are out of order, sorry. This was test fitting with the sill and working on the door gap.

[​IMG]
    Panelbeating the weld back to flush.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sill after taking back to bare metal, chemical treatment and then some black epoxy.

[​IMG]
    Outer sill going in.

[​IMG]
    The lower sill edge, I weld in after. Lots of checking and double checking with spriti levels and straight edges as the sills can be hard to get right and keep their shape.

[​IMG]
    Laying on some primer.

[​IMG]
    Primer is still wet, so should show up any issues in the reflections.

ADB likes this.
  5. Elliot

The drivers side A post was worked on at the same time as doing the sills, so some of the photos are out of order, but youll get the idea.... hopefully.

[​IMG]
    Initial inspection of the A post. Not the best ive seen, and not the worst either.

[​IMG]
    Signs this is not the original A post. Definately not factory welds there !

At this point, we organised a new A post from expressed steel panels. There are rust issues with the front scuttle, so that was also removed to access both that and the areas underneath.

[​IMG]
    Rusty, but hopefully saveable.

[​IMG]
    I think it'll be ok.

[​IMG]
    Main section of the A post removed. For the more observant amongst you... this is exactly how the A post came off, I did NOT modify or cut the upper door hinge panel.... this is how it was...

[​IMG]
    A close up. The upper hinge panel is actually a continuation of the A pillar which goes up the front corner of the window. It is a highly structural part of the car.

[​IMG]
    This should have been attached to the A pillar.

[​IMG]
    Roughly holding the upper hinge in position. All the area between the green X's is missing ! The welding between the A post and the hinge top looks factory. What I assume has happened is that at some point the car has had a minor accident in this area and whoever repaired it cut the A post and upper hinge from another car and welded it to this one without repairing the A pillar whatsoever !!! Pretty amazing what some people think is a safe thing to do !

[​IMG]
    I still think "WOW" when I look back at these photos.

[​IMG]
    The pictures are out of order, sorry. Some bracing done while the inner sill front section was worked on.

We did look to see if we could find a donor A pillar to use, had no luck and what we did find was rusted also, so decided to repair what we have.

[​IMG]
    Cutting it back to some useable steel.

[​IMG]
    Tek screwed the hinge panel in position and starting to fill in the gap. Welding it HOT with the tig.

[​IMG]
    Looking a lot healthier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rescuing the original lower hinge mount.

[​IMG]
    Starting to test fit up the new A post. Note... the express A posts come with the top lip bent inwards as per Mk3. You have to reverse that lip to make them Mk1 style.

[​IMG]
    Some stretching required here where ive marked it in green to bring the top into line correctly.

[​IMG]
    That's better...

[​IMG]

Lower hinge mount being welded in. Welds will be dressed out after.

[​IMG]
    Test fitting...

[​IMG]
    This is the door catch bracket. Should be welded to the inner A post, but wasnt welded on at all and fell off when the A post was removed lol. Have a look at the finish... doesnt look like it has ever had a weld ??? not sure if the previous repairer bought this new from Ford. Would be my guess.

[​IMG]
    Fitting off the door catch bracket.

[​IMG]
    Making a hole in the A post for the catch.

[​IMG]
    Fitting off the A post finally.

[​IMG]
    All dressed up.

[​IMG]
    Neatening up the fit with the sill.

[​IMG]
    Nearly ready for a lick of primer. Note the large flat section of steel sticking up at the rear of the inner wing drip rail. This is a plate I have welded in as the original was rotten. Still need to form it over into the rail.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 25 April 2019
    1970 sean, ADB, BigJ and 1 other person like this.
  6. Elliot

They would have a long wait... lol.

I have been working on other peoples cars now full time for a few years, hence why my own project is so slow to progress.

Elliot

Mikem likes this.
  7. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    another amazing (re)fabrication story begins ...
    your work, and your ability to show the results is like a proper 'how to' manual..

8. Lord Flasheart

Lord Flasheart Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Panzer, Jeep, CBR600, 3.0 Ghia
    Excellent write up & importantly the explanations behind the photos ;)

9. Zwien22

Zwien22 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk3
    Excellent work!

10. andy

andy Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Ford Mustang
    yep amazing stuff. Keep up the good work.

11. 302Capri

302Capri Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '79 Mk3 BOA, '69 Mk1 GT V8
    Hey Elliot,

Amazing work as always. And what a brilliant record of repairs to give to an owner. These days with so many bodges being uncovered, being able to show such detailed records of quality restoration is worth its weight in gold.
    Keep up the good work.

Steve

12. Elliot

Thanks for the positive comments, still got plenty more photos to upload.

13. Elliot

Passenger side A post and sills.

The front wings have already been removed, I'll cover those in depth when I get to them.

[​IMG]
    A post lower looking suspiciously made of expanding foam ! lol.

[​IMG]
    Some digging ....

[​IMG]
    A descent sized hole. Time for a new A post !

[​IMG]
    A post mostly removed and and pretty solid condition underneath.

[​IMG]
    Bit of a hole in the inner sill.

[​IMG]
    Save the lower door hinge panel and give it a birthday.

[​IMG]
    Lower hinge welded in, door strap hole cut and a few locating tek screws and thats as progressed as the A post is at this stage. Reason is that there is evidence of corrosion in the front scuttle corner and the bulkhead top/underscuttle area. So these will be addressed first.

14. Elliot

[​IMG]
    The whole floor of the car has been painted in thick black stuff at some point. But a little scratching and the inner sill needs a bit of love up the front end.

[​IMG]
    Seen worse inner sills, but could do with a new front end patch up.

[​IMG]
    Centre section looks untidy but saveable.

[​IMG]
    No holes in the rear end either.

[​IMG]
    Tack in some support while the inner sill section is removed.

[​IMG]
    Starting to rough out a new repair section. Lots of shrinking going on.

[​IMG]
    There's a bit more going on than first appears... that top plate area has an S shape going through it which you can see here.

[​IMG]
    Made up a new box section. I use copper weld through primer and black epoxy for protection.

[​IMG]
    Spot welding it together. Leaving plenty of extra metal on the lower edge of the sill for trimming after fitting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Important the sill stays nice and straight along it length.

Last edited: 28 April 2019
    ADB likes this.
  15. Elliot

[​IMG]
    Sill taken bak to bare steel and chemically treated.

[​IMG]
    Weld thru primer and epoxy laid up. I treat the new outer sill the same way.

[​IMG]
    An area easily overlooked ! temporarily refitted the A post and hung the door. Spent some time to gap the door especially at the rear to the quarter panel door shut. Ive highlighted the bodyline in the sill. This line must line up with the front end of the door.

[​IMG]
    With the front line correct, this is how short it is at the back.

[​IMG]
    Flattened out the lip and reformed it further back.

[​IMG]
    Looking better.

[​IMG]
    Starting to weld it off

Mikem and ADB like this.
  16. Elliot

Photos slightly out of order again sorry. Repairs to the rear quarter panel to sill bottom corner.

[​IMG]
    Found this lovely little effort under the paint.

[​IMG]
    View from underneath. Previous repair is just a piece of plate laid over the rust hole and mig'd to death.

[​IMG]
    Cut it all out back to some useable steel.

[​IMG]
    Make up a new section.

[​IMG]
    Check the fit and tack it in.

[​IMG]
    Weld her in and dress it up.

Mikem and ADB like this.
  17. blue74

blue74 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    ST24 Mondeo, Mk1 Capri (maybe one day)
    Got to love the shrinker stretcher, it was one of my most useful purchases also.
    I like your method of replicating the spot welds, do you tig the pre drilled hole only using a small amount of filler rod?
    Nice work as always, love the detail.

18. Elliot

I use a spot welder where I can to keep it as factory as possible but there always areas where they cant reach or I dont have arms to suit. In those cases I either mig or tig weld a thru hole in the upper piece. Just have to be careful when using the tig as it puts a lot of heat in a small area and can cause too much shrinkage.

19. gixergene

gixergene Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    BMW M3
    WOW you have been busy.

Start yourself a YouTube channel and before you know it you'll be earning some extra cash from it :)

20. WimC

WimC Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Ford Capri MK1 '71
    I probably will need to do all the work you do as my sills and A pillars are also shot, but I'll never be able to do it as professional and clean as you!
    What a great job!

21. Nick

Nick A human. Being. Staff Member Forum Tech

Drives:
    BMW
    This is a good call. Lovely work mate as always

22. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    wow that is fantastic work there, mine was shot in all those places, hope you find an end to it soon, i thought i had utill i found a pin hole in the roof :(, keep at it mate, look forward to updates

Clockwork Orange likes this.
  23. Harvey mk1 v8

Harvey mk1 v8 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri and stag
    lovely work

24. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    my thoughts exactly .. about 9/10 thru my rebuild I was thinking - well at least th roof is OK .. and then my man rubbed thru th roof skin in front of that damn sun roof .. urgh..
    having gone thru what I have now to secure a solid tub... I wish now I had stripped that sunroof top for a solid top, especially when there was a solid roof section available at the time.

25. caprimk3

caprimk3 Richard Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mondeo Mk3, 78' Capri 2.3S
    Brilliant work as per usual Ellitot!

My sills were looking just like the foam filled one, on both sides!
    Mine is looking better now, but the quality of the work is about 10% of yours, if that!

26. Lord Flasheart

Drives:
    Great work, great pics, keep em coming mate ;)

27. Elliot

Thanks for the feedback. I find it really uncomfortable being in front of any camera, not sure I could do a proper youtube channel, I have thought about it a few times, I think it would chew up a lot of time editing etc.

Continuing on with the passengers rear quarter panel. Surprisingly, the arch is is fine fettle and doesnt need any work doing to it, however, there was minimal signs of some rust in the rear lower corner. Nothing bad visually, but as with everything else, you always find more issues behind so decided to replace the entire rear lower corner with an expressed steel panel.

[​IMG]
    The lower corner tucks under the rear valence at the back, you can peel them away and work inbetween, but its a pain in the arse and just as easy to remove a small section of the rear panel to gain proper access.

[​IMG]
    Rear end of outer wheelhouse made of filler.

[​IMG]
    Weld lip pretty rotten.

[​IMG]
    Its usually easier to make a bigger section than a small one so cut out the rusted area beyond the rot that could be seen.

[​IMG]
    Made up a repair section using the original as a pattern. Made the new piece in two halves as there is too much metal to try and stretch without hammering for a few hours.

[​IMG]
    Looks like a bought one :)

[​IMG]
    Repair section welded in and dressed up a little.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rear lower drop panel apart from some surface rust is in really good shape.

[​IMG]
    The new expressed panels dont come with the little punched hole in the back like the originals.

[​IMG]
    Using the original hole as a guide, i drilled a small hole, then sharpened a steel rod like a pencil and punched it through the hole with a suitable supportive tube on the back.

[​IMG]
    Looks about right.

[​IMG]
    Starting to tack the repair panel in place. Note the damage to the original quarter panel just above the weld near the arch. This was pre existing. The metal there is stretched. I'm hoping that the weld will shrink some of the stretched metal out and i'll be able to panel beat it back nice again after.

[​IMG]
    Had to flatten out the weld lip at the back and move it to get it to align vertically with the panel above.

[​IMG]
    Getting ready to weld it off

[​IMG]
    Welded off and started to panel beat and file finish it. The damaged area was shrunk during welding and hammer and dollied out quite quickly. There is limited access behind the profiled area near the arch, so important to align these areas as good as possible when tacking up.

[​IMG]
    This is the section of rear valence that was removed.

[​IMG]
    Pretty rusty on the back and problematic to repair with the weld thru holes broken through to the edge so easier to use it as a template and make up a new one.

[​IMG]
    I put a few shrinks down the outside edge to help it pull round the corner into the quarter panel when its welded.

[​IMG]
    Really came out quite nicely.

[​IMG]
    Another job ticked off the list.

Elliot

Mikem and ADB like this.
  28. WimC

Drives:
    Ford Capri MK1 '71
    You can do it in the style like this guy:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/stevieabz
    Then there's no need to come in front of any camera.
    I really like this guy's videos just because there is no talking, just silence, some noise of tools, but nothing else. (and his work is also really nice).
    And again, nice work on the back of the Capri!

29. Elliot

Im still on the fence about youtubing... see what happens with time. I also have the issue where I am charging customers good money to repair their cars, it would be unfair make them pay for video time so to speak if the process slowed things down.

Back to the Capri... A previous owner has at some point cut into the rear door card panels to fit speakers I'm assuming. The current owner wanted it returned to factory. Luckily we had some donor panels to cut and shut into place.

[​IMG]
    Heres how it was when the car came to me.

[​IMG]
    First step...... cut a bigger hole obviously ! I chose to cut further into the top part as it will be easier to panel beat afterwards.

[​IMG]
    Thats the top section done. Unfortunately the lower arm rest support was also cut and we had no donor panels, so decided to make up a patch panel. Easier to do on the bench so, drilled out the spot welds and removed it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looks like they cut it with a pick axe !

[​IMG]
    Made up a repair section. Welded a steel ball bearing to a bit of round bar to act as a dolly.

[​IMG]
    Not super perfect but certainly better than it was before.

[​IMG]
    Back in the car.

Mikem, 1970 sean and ADB like this.
  30. Laser

Laser Laser Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
    Blimey your Good ! Very Good ! that standard of welding and fabrication is amazing ...

31. Elliot

Getting on with the passener side A post.

[​IMG]
    Little bit more rust than I'd like to see in the bulkhead end.

[​IMG]
    With the bulkhead end removed, exposed the condition of the a pillar/hinge panel.

[​IMG]
    Not recommending anyone go cutting an A pillar unless you are confident you can either Tig or oxy weld it back in.
    Finally found some clean metal on the car... nice looking inner A post.

[​IMG]
    Cut this junk out of the hinge panel. Used the parts to make patterns from new steel.

[​IMG]
    One remade hinge panel. Making the 3 indent section gave me a headache but got there in the end.

[​IMG]
    Finally on to a bit of re-assembly.

[​IMG]
    Cut out the original lower hinge bracket

[​IMG]
    Starting to test fit and tweek the A post. Note the top lip is facing inbound as per Mk3. This lip has to be flattened out and then folded outbound to suit Mk1 Capris.

32. Elliot

[​IMG]
    Now to fix this hole.....

[​IMG]
    Beater bag getting a work out.

[​IMG]
    Pretty happy this was made in a single piece of steel.

[​IMG]
    Test fit... getting pretty close to fitting.

[​IMG]
    Fits nice at last. Note A post top lip now facing outwards !

[​IMG]
    Came out pretty good.

Repairs to the scuttle next on the to do list.

Mikem, ADB and barnfind like this.
  33. 302Capri

302Capri Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '79 Mk3 BOA, '69 Mk1 GT V8
    Amazing work as always Elliot.

34. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    :D AGAIN GREAT WORK

35. WimC

Drives:
    Ford Capri MK1 '71
    Indeed, amazing as always. I'm really amazed how you can reproduce this panels so good.

36. Elliot

If your passionate about something and you keep trying, eventually you work out how to do it.

37. Elliot

[​IMG]
    Finished off welding the A post in and releaving all the welds.

[​IMG]
    Dressed out all the mig weld thru's that I couldnt do with the spot welder.

[​IMG]
    Bit of a clean up

[​IMG]
    Lick of primer to protect the metal. The car is going for bead blasting after the panelwork has been done but I still dont like leaving metal bare for any length of time.

[​IMG]
    Discussion with the owner, it has been decided to do a bare metal repaint of this area prior to the scuttle going back on, then it will be masked off so that the end result will be fresh clean new paint when you look through the slots in the scuttle... factory fresh !

So to do that, I've removed the heater plenum to access the metalwork. Not a bad decision all round as there are signs of rust starting to set in where the two seams met.
    [​IMG]
    I'm going to attack it in small sections at a time as there is way too much shape going on to be able to make it in one piece.
    First section outlined in green.

[​IMG]
    This was my 2nd attempt at making this small section. Trickier than it looks, shape going in all directions.

[​IMG]
    Tacked in. Bit more gap than I would have liked, nothing that a big hammer wont fix afterwards :)

[​IMG]
    Done

ADB likes this.
  38. caprinerd

Drives:
    Again top work Elliot

39. anturvey

anturvey Registered Capri Power Member

You have amazing skills, I cannot even cut a straight line with a hacksaw! Keep up the great work, the car will be way better than when it rolled out of the factory :)

40. blue74

Drives:
    Love your work as always. It only gets better!

41. Elliot

Thanks

Dont worry, that makes two of us lol

Thankyou

[​IMG]
    Cut the next small section of rusted bulkhead.

[​IMG]
    Flattened down the lip to get a grinder cutting disk in there without damaging the lip itself. Metal underneath looks perfect.

[​IMG]
    As simple as it looks, still took a little time to replicate.

[​IMG]
    Put the spot welds back in where they were originally, reformed the lip back up and thats this side of the bulkhead top repaired.

ADB likes this.
  42. caprinerd

Drives:
    and the quality continues

43. Whooligan

Whooligan Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk1 V6 Capri
    Top work, Elliot.
    I remember John gave me a little drive of this car last year before heading to the UK.
    Are you going to be working on John's V8 one as well?

44. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK3 STRATOS SILVER 3.0 GHIA
    Just gone through this thread start to finish a couple of times, you excel at fabrication, after all it is only metal, (much easier to work with than wood IMO) l have been working with steel all my life which does help and I'm restoring way too many cars and sometimes a simple repair can consume so many man hours, which l am sure a lot of people do not realise, l hope your customers reward you as much as you deserve.

45. caprinerd

Drives:
    Keep going Elliot loving your work

46. Elliot

Possibly, we need to sit down with an engineer at some point to work out some direction with it. Quite looking forward to it if the project ends up in my hands, right up my street making up a whole new rear end for it.

47. Elliot

It constantly amazes me that a few small patch panels can take up as much time as a full panel repair. I just work on hourly rate. I try to update the owner with each step with plenty of photos so they can see how its all coming along. I need to update this thread too, will try and load up some progress pictures this week at some point. Currently have the entire rear panel off of the car for repairs.

Elliot

48. caprinerd

Drives:
    quality has no time limit ;)

49. Elliot

Ive recently drilled out all the welds and removed the entire rear panel and valence in one piece from the car. It had some niggly areas of damage to it which would be hard to access on the car. Also at some point, a previous owner has welded up the exhaust cutout so with discussion with the owner decided to remove the whole panel and fix it properly rather than attempt a patch up job with it still fitted.

[​IMG]
    The rear panel off the car. Someone has previously tried to do repairs by brazing up some holes. There is heavy rust on the other side of the panel so quicker and easier to just make up a new section.

[​IMG]
    Welded in and starting to planish and file finish the weld areas.

[​IMG]
    Top corner torn out and rusted.

[​IMG]
    Welded in some new steel and filled all the weld holes and damage to the side lip.

[​IMG]
    This is the passenger side. where the exhaust cutout usually is. Someone decided it wasnt required and has plated it up. probably also shrunk and damaged the metal in that area so will be making the whole section again.

[​IMG]
    View from the underside... can see the original exhaust cutout profile. I used this as a template.

[​IMG]
    making new exhaust cutouts on both sides of the car.... cant have a v6 with a single exhaust!!!

[​IMG]
    Both sides now repaired.

[​IMG]
    Quick test fit on the car to make sure the chassis rail end plates all line up.

Elliot

ADB, 2.8jonny and my928s4 like this.
  50. caprinerd

Drives:
    top work still coming out of you good man

51. mick

mick Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri 2.8i
    After looking at this, i really dont ever want to put any of my repairs on again.
    what top class job, and skillful job .

52. Lord Flasheart

Drives:
    Just caught up with this again, fantastic, just fantastic mate ;)

53. Elliot

Dont put yourself down, no-one was born with metal shaping skills, but its something everyone can learn, youtube is a good source if you want to improve your work.

Ta muchly.

54. Elliot

[​IMG]
    Filling in the spot weld holes.

[​IMG]
    Cleaning up and chemically prepping the lower half of the panel.

[​IMG]
    Rear bumper plate is missing one of the captive nuts but also doesnt look well attached and after taking a closer look, found 3 of the spot welds had failed, so decided to remove it.

[​IMG]
    1 out of 4 welds aint bad..... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Welding in a new nut.

[​IMG]
    Mig welded back in position with some copper weld thru primer.

[​IMG]
    The other plate also looking like it needs similar treatment.

[​IMG]
    Boot lock upright panel support needing a little love.

[​IMG]
    After removing the upright, noticed tell tale signs of rust under the reinforcement panel, so that came off also.

[​IMG]
    And found a small rust hole in the boot floor.

[​IMG]
    Cleaned up the area and drilled out the rust hole with a step drill.

[​IMG]
    Welded in a patch piece.

[​IMG]
    After weighing up the time it would take to weld up all the spot weld holes and taking the quality of the metal into consideration, decided to knock up a new panel instead. Only took an hour so well worth going that route.

[​IMG]
    Spot welded in place.

[​IMG]
    End of the upright looking ugly.

[​IMG]
    Patched up and looking dandy again.

Elliot

ADB likes this.
  55. caprinerd

Drives:
    i love your fabrication work and as said on others threads its the inspiration i need to get my arse in gear

56. Elliot

Cheers.

Bit more progress...

[​IMG]
    Boot lock and rear panel support welded back in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Drivers side chassis rail end plate was removed, repaired and rewelded back on.

Cant quite tell from this angle, but the rear lower corner of the drivers quarter panel has had some very minor damage and a few rust holes around the lower and rear weld lips. Very hard to panel beat low down in that area so much better option to remove a bigger area and replace with a new repair panel as access to the weld areas are much better. That was removed and then found the inside lower drop / boot floor side panel wasnt the best either, so removed that for repairs at the same time.

[​IMG]
    Heres the inner drop panel. Heavy ugly surface corrosion.

[​IMG]
    Seen better days.

[​IMG]
    Could have made an entire new panel but the time to make up jigs/tooling for the profiles in the middle wouldn't have made it a cost effective repair. This panel is available from expressed steel panels in the UK but none in stock here in Oz at the moment, so to keep the project moving, just replaced as much of the corroded areas in one hit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hammer, chisel, a couple of clamps and some deafened neighbours is all thats needed to reproduce the stepped lip.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ready to go back on the car.

ADB likes this.
  57. blue74

Drives:
    Love your attention to detail Elliot.

58. caprinerd

Drives:
    Dont worry about the neighbours ive give them all ear plugs so hammer a way

59. Elliot

Cheers.
    I really need a factory !

[​IMG]
    Weld lip on the side of the boot floor is wasted.

[​IMG]
    Knocked up a repair section.

[​IMG]
    Nearly ready for some rearend assembly at last.... nearly.....

60. caprinerd

Drives:
    again great work loving your builds

61. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    fech me!
    this really is every panel, every individual wee sheet .. just getting stripped out, rebuilt, improved ..
    Fords were never built either this good or with this level of investigation in mind ..

mine is toast compared to this..

62. caprinerd

Drives:
    i just wish my welding was upto this standard, but i had to learn it on my own, and havent really done any for a loooonnnnnnggggggg time now, better than ford did, this is such a true statement

63. Elliot

Just making decisions based on the owners expectations and budget (hopefully).

I'm also a self taught welder. Saying that, Ive worked in a lot of industrial places and watch/learn from as many people as possible.

[​IMG]
    Rear inner wheel well a bit crusty

[​IMG]
    Grinder cut marks from a previous owners efforts.

[​IMG]
    Urghhhh. Wheres me grinder ?

[​IMG]
    Bit the bullet and made a new section.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Better than it was before.

[​IMG]
    Inner drop going back in with the spot welder.

[​IMG]
    Alignment looks good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sadly, it looks like a lot of the inner wheel well is in the same condition.

[​IMG]
    Dont want to cut the entire arch out at this stage as I dont want to remove any more support for the rear quarter panel, so I'll just patch this area so the lower corner section can be repaired.

[​IMG]
    New lower corner panel tacked in place and ready for welding. Green outlined area will all be replaced at a later stage.

[​IMG]
    Panel welded off. Cant see from this angle but it pulled in by about 5mm along its entire length apart from the rear where the corner helps hold it in shape.

[​IMG]
    Layout blue, dolly and flipper action.

ADB likes this.
  64. Elliot

[​IMG]
    Back end of the car being made ready for the rear panel.

[​IMG]
    And the back panel.

[​IMG]
    Starting to weld her off.

[​IMG]
    Using some silicon bronze tig wire to replicate the factory braze. Trying to not do it too neat.

ADB and pas28i like this.
  65. caprinerd

Drives:
    not to neat dont want to spoil what Ford did
    i really do bow to your workmanship and its all self taught

66. Elliot

Ive been needing to make up a proper over engineered chassis rottisserie for a while. One that has a very rigid frame that the car is mounted to. Made up a frame using 150 x 50 x 7mm wall. Spent a lot of time making sure it is dead level.

[​IMG]
    The wheels are welded to some square shs that slides in the end frame and can be removed. My idea for this is so that the car can be mounted to the frame and then easily moved around on level concrete. When the jig is mounted to the rottisserie, these can be removed. I'm also planning on making some skiis for the wheels so that it can be dragged up onto a trailer as well... heence the adjustable slide mechanism.. It works in my head.. time will tell if that will be a reality....lol

[​IMG]
    Making up a framework to pickup the leaf spring front mounting points.

[​IMG]
    Decided to bolt the frame to the jig so that it isnt distorted by any welding.

[​IMG]
    Another bracketty thing was made up to pick up the crossmember mounting points.

[​IMG]
    One capri on a frame.

[​IMG]
    A good friend of mine has lent me a pair of his spare rottisserie ends. My plan is to copy it in time, but borrowing them now keeps the project moving. This one is designed to pick up chassis rail ends and I didnt want to modify it as it's not mine, so just for now will remake the rotating assembly to suit my setup.

[​IMG]
    Machined up a new centre boss bushing and making up a new frame.

[​IMG]
    Had some round plates lasercut from 10mm sheet. The holes allow a locking pin to secure the jog at various angles.

ADB likes this.
  67. Elliot

Back on continuing with repairing the drivers side rear arch....

[​IMG]
    Cut away some of the original outer arch to insect the condition of the wheel house. Actually not as bad as I was expecting but decided to replace the areas outlined in green in 2 separate sections.

[​IMG]
    Took a paper pattern of the original metal and made up a repair section. The bend lip is very rounded at this stage as it lets me move it much easier if it needs tweeking.

[​IMG]
    Panelbeating the weld.

[​IMG]
    Next section coming along

[​IMG]
    Finalising the shape and getting ready to weld in the arch repair section.

[​IMG]
    Things took a turn for the worse.... Had lots of issues with the express steel panels supplied arch. The height of the hockeystick profile was way too low, the radius of the top of the hockeystick section too shallow, the distance between the arch and the hockeystick was about 5mm too much. Had to move the entire arch all the way round which was not an easy task to do without distorting the rest of the panel. The front section forward of the arch was way way over shrunk and very rounded in shape whereas it should be nearly flat, and lastly, the fake vent profile was only half as deep as it should be. I have been in discussion with Expressed steel panels regarding this matter, they have promised to get back to me with a response...

I didnt think to take any pictures of the issues until afterwards but did then dig out the vent section to compare to the other side of the car which is untouched and bare steel. Pic above is taking a profile of the express panel.

[​IMG]
    Comparing the profile to the other side of the car which is genuine and untouched.

[​IMG]
    Hmmmm.......

[​IMG]
    New arch going in.

[​IMG]

Thats all for now

ADB and Crash & Burn like this.
  68. caprinerd

Drives:
    nice work still going on Elliot

69. Elliot

[​IMG]
    Made up some L shaped frames to mount to the chassis Jig. (Hadn't been to the nut and bolt shop at this point so could only use what I could find....). I will put in some kind of triangulation strengthener to take the stress off of the weld, Just not sure on the centre of gravity when rolling the car so dont know how big a strengthener I can make yet.

[​IMG]
    Might have to shorten them uprights....

[​IMG]
    First test.....

[​IMG]

Elliot

ADB likes this.
  70. mgentry90

mgentry90 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Does that frame work not get in the way when going for under body repairs?

71. Elliot

The frame is about 150mm or so lower than the bottom for the car, it's not ideal but there is access to eveything. Bit of a best case compromise type thing. The idea of using a jig is so that you can safely remove A posts, sills, floor sections, chassis rails etc etc whilst still maintaining the dimensional accuracy of the shell. This car is now obviously not needing that, but I have a bunch of other capris waiting in the wings to come in, so it will pay for itself a few times over in years to come. I'll probably also be putting my own Mk3 up on it when it gets closer to paint.

Elliot

ADB likes this.
  72. Elliot

First job for the new rottisserie jig, fix up some damage to the chassis rails....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    If the damage was deeper into the rail, the whole rail might have had to come off, I decided just to cut the minimum damaged area away as well as the small reinforcement.

[​IMG]
    By not cutting deep into the rail means that it retains a lot of its form and the heat from welding will be far enough away from the floor to do any damage. The rail is made of thicker material than the rest of the car so used some steel of the same thickness and formed up a new section and did my best to match the bend radius.

[​IMG]
    Plenty of weld prep was ground into all panels and some practice on the bench to make sure I got full penetration. Welded it on with the Mig and cleaned it up after with a flap disk.

[​IMG]

Elliot

ADB, PenelopesMaster and WimC like this.
  73. WimC

Drives:
    Ford Capri MK1 '71
    That's done very clean!

74. Elliot

[​IMG]
    Chassis outrigger has the usual damage to it. I could have possibly straightened it up without removing it, but decided to remove it and repalce it with something a little prettier.

[​IMG]
    With it removed from the car made it much easier to straiten out on the bench and take measurements for a template to make a new one.

[​IMG]
    Did a quick autocad file and printed off a template, cut in steel, folded and bashed around a bit. Looks more accurate than some of the other copies out there that you can buy.

[​IMG]

Refitted and ready to rock and roll.

Elliot

75. caprimk3

Drives:
    Awesome work!

76. caprinerd

Drives:
    always the same damage on the outrigger like you say easier to replace than straighten

77. Elliot

Similar repairs required to the drivers side floor rails.

[​IMG]
    Damage cut out, area cleaned and primed, ready for welding in a new piece.

[​IMG]
    Another job ticked off the list.

I also need to replace the chassis outrigger on this side, but instead of fabricating it on the bench, ive invested a little time and money and designed some pressing jigs as ive had a few requests for the same part.

Next job I wanted to attend to is the front scuttle panel. both passenger and driver side ends require new metal to fix the rust. I was going to fabricate new sections but after doing the maths, I think it will be cheaper to just cut and shut in new express steel panel ends as they are in stock here in Australia. Ordered and received the new panels and am beginning to wonder if expressed panels are really dropping the ball. The vertical side part that makes up the gap around the curved section at the wing is 5mm not tall emough. Ive moved the line but now I feel I need to do a dry assemble of the surrounding panels to make sure the gaps and levels are all correct. The owner supplied a pair of genuine Ford front wings for the project but as is always with 50 year old steel, they need some love...

[​IMG]
    Passenger side front wing scuttle area disolved..

[​IMG]
    Cut the corner area away and fabricated up a new piece. Took a bit of time as the top plate isnt flat and has some shape to it.

[​IMG]
    Welded in and starting to panel beat it into submission.

Elliot

ADB and Clockwork Orange like this.
  78. caprinerd

Drives:
    and still the quality is outstanding buddy

79. Elliot

[​IMG]
    Making up a new reinforcement for the wing. This goes up near the scuttle.

[​IMG]
    Ready to fit.

[​IMG]
    And she's in.

[​IMG]
    Was hoping to save the wing drip rail, but after closer inspection of the underside, decided just to remake the whole thing. Will give a better more factory look once welded to the car again so worth the effort.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not repairable, needs replacing for sure...

Folded up a new section, then used the shrinker to form it to shape, then measured twice and cut once to make sure the wing ends up the right height when it goes back on the car.

[​IMG]
    Many tacks later

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Really important to get the panels to mate together snugly with no gaps.

[​IMG]
    Fuse welded together with the tig, no filler wire.

[​IMG]
    Quick dress up and its done.

Elliot

ADB likes this.
  80. caprinerd

Drives:
    welding that rail in the wing would have driven me mad

81. barnfind

barnfind Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.8i Special
    seamless! love it . . .

82. caprinerd

Drives:
    but would still drive me made doing it

83. MarkW

MarkW Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 3.0S Janspeed Turbo, Green '81', Ford Mondeo Graphite 'Daily'.
    Great stuff. First time I have seen this thread. Nice to see another one being saved even if it does mean it will have to drive on its roof.

84. caprimk3

Drives:
    I'm really glad to see that quality of work done.

There is a garage here in Norway that does similar quality work and they did a Capri last year.
    It ended up costing about a grand in welding alone, and that garage charges about half of the others out there.

But the car turned out fantastic, as your will when it's done ;)

85. Elliot

Thanks for the comments guys, helps keep me motivated. Been a while since an update so will bring things up to date.

[​IMG]
    Making up a new rear lower corner for the passenger front wing.

[​IMG]
    Tacking up, more gap than I would have liked around the curve.

[​IMG]
    Welded in and finished, came up ok.

[​IMG]
    New section for the closing panel.

[​IMG]
    welded off.

[​IMG]
    Also made up a new weld lip right along the back edge.

[​IMG]
    Welded to the main panel and ready for a test fit to the car.

[​IMG]
    Needs more work on the gaps but thats good enough at this point.

[​IMG]
    Have put the front wings aside for the moment as the new front crossmember panels from expressed have arived. This could have been patched up but the rot extends through the other side of the crossmember box section also, so decided to bite the bullet and replace the whole thing. I was also not happy with the condition of the end of the chassis rail, so will attend to that first.

To gain proper access to the 5 thousand million welds that hold the crossmember in, I removed the front panel which has now gone away for blasting. Hopefully have that back next week some time.

[​IMG]
    Not the best picture but shows the area of the chassis rail deformed by expanding layers of corrosion between the rail and the sway bar mount.

[​IMG]
    Cut the rot out and given a clean up.

[​IMG]
    Made up a tool to make the lipped hole in the rail side. Welded in and dressed up nicely...

[​IMG]
    Much the same for the other side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Its an ugly weld, I fed in plenty of filler wire on high heat to get good penetration and build up enough metal so there was no undercut.

[​IMG]
    Dressed up.

[​IMG]
    lick of paint to stop it rusting between now and shell blasting.

Elliot

ADB and my928s4 like this.
  86. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

Drives:
    You are the master of steel, yet more superb repairs!!!

87. Elliot

Jack of all trades, master of none, isn't that how the saying goes ?

88. Elliot

[​IMG]
    Starting to weld in the first half of the crossmember. I fitted the swaybar mounting brackets and bolted it all up tight to check for correct position. Removed at this point as I couldnt get the spot welder in.

[​IMG]
    Mig weld filled in all the drilled out metal, cleaned it up and went over the top with the spotty to give the factory look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Test fitting the 2nd half of the crossmember, having problems aligning the bottom of the panel with the other half... hmmm

[​IMG]
    Right hand side is all over the shop.

[​IMG]
    Left hand side...barely enough metal to weld here...

[​IMG]
    77mm this end.

[​IMG]
    83mm this end. I also checked a factory panel that I have here, it measures 83mm all the way along.

At this point things turned sour. I emailed expressed steel panels and sent them these pictures, explaining that there was 6mm of material missing tapering towards one end. There response was, that was acceptable! After them refusing there was an issue, I put up a post on FB, had a fair bit of response from the capri community and promptly got a refund for the cost of the panel from expressed. Annoying to have to go to those lengths as it makes me look like a twat, but I felt it justified.

[​IMG]
    Getting ready to add the missing metal to the panel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Taking shape

[​IMG]
    Chemical treatment to the concrete mostly lol... clean up and some primer.

[​IMG]
    Epoxy

[​IMG]
    Weld thru

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    refitting some swaybar mounts to hold it in position while welding.

[​IMG]
    Could cook an egg on my spot welder after this little lot.

Elliot

ADB and 2.8jonny like this.
  89. caprinerd

Drives:
    and the quality still comes and great for the up dates thank you keep them coming loving your thread

90. ADB

ADB Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Fascinating work Elliot, your attention to detail is second to none.

91. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

Drives:
    I always worked on + or - 1mm over 1000mm, but in my previous life was responsible for building prototype chassis's.
    A 6mm discrepancy over less than 100mm is extremely poor, but l have seen this before on several of there panels, especially in the Cortina World.

92. Elliot

Yeah it is pretty bad quality. I guess they are in the game to make money, I assume when they first started out they would have had a closer eye on accuracy but as they've massively expanded their range and put on more employees, now they have bigger overheads so they would have a higher priority to make sales and pay the bills. Shame. Part of the world we live in unfortunately.

Anyhoo.... back to the build.

[​IMG]
    While prepping the inner wings for refitting the front panel, it appears the car has had a minor bingle at some point. I imagine this whole wrinkled area was a mess and someone in the past has beaten it back into shape best they could. Ive tried to make it better but the metal is stretched and work hardened in those creases. With consultation with the owner, he would rather replace the damaged metal than lay a mm or 2 of filler. So, the area in green is for the chop.

[​IMG]
    Just starting to rough out the basic shape.

[​IMG]
    No turning back now.

[​IMG]
    Not the easiest section to make. Lots has to line up all at once as well as maintain the position of the headlight panel and front panel correctly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    All done... 12 hours all up just for that little area.

Elliot

Crash & Burn likes this.
  93. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    This is like a class, but the teacher does all the homework. Perfect.

Lord Flasheart, caprimk3 and blue74 like this.
  94. caprinerd

Drives:
    ive now got started on mine but im also building engines for customers, need the customers for the money but also need the time to do mine as well
    Im loving this thread and also the other one you have on the go as well

95. steve 35

steve 35 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1.6L
    That is some amazing work, one thing I wish I'd learnt to do over the years is welding and fabrication,

96. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    that area of repair at front of inner wing shows exactly why it is so difficult to retro-fit quad lamps on a pre-Facelift !
    wonderful work Elliot, and well photographed as well ... be like a proper detailed repair manual if the pictures were bound together ..

97. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    wow that is proper fabrication and welding, well beyond my skills, nice to see your fabulous progress, keep at it!!

98. Lord Flasheart

Drives:
    x 2 ;)

99. caprinerd

Drives:
    any more up dates or are you on lock down there

100. Elliot

Progress stopped temporarily as we went into lockdown and there was a lot of unknowns with what was going to happen and who was or wasnt allowed to work etc. I am now back on track but at a reduced rate on this car. I have my fingers in a few other projects and just picked up a 1934 mercedes restoration as well as my own car and all the panels that I make for mk1 capri's, I've been flat out, need to clone myself....

Elliot

1970 sean likes this.