Carburettor Question

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by kenny james, 19 September 2021.

1. kenny james

kenny james Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    3.0 GXL
    Hi Folks, I have no idea what the carb is on Charlie but it looks factory. I have thought about changing it for a new Weber 32/36 with a manual choke. I have an inlet and all the gubbins so I should only need the carb and a couple of water hoses. What’s folks thoughts on the pinto carb, should I stick with it or is the Weber seen as an upgrade? I would be looking at a new carb not pre owned. I will stick with the 1.6 pinto for now but may also change the cam.

I have changed the water pipe union on the inlet manifold, can I put anything on the thread to help reduce the chance of a water leak?

All replies appreciated, thanks Kenny

2. classiccapri

classiccapri Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    On the hunt for a new
    It'll be the VV carb I think in the 1.6 as standard.

The 32/36 is a good carb, but will need re jetting to suit the 1.6.

You can put PTFE on threads, or things like loctite sealant etc .

PTFE is my chosen sealant for threads though..

3. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    VV is OK when it works, you can ge a rebuild kit, but it doesnt include the diaphragm and thats the bit that usually fails..
    direct replacement on the same manifold is a 34ICH kit.. includes everything to fit, including the original airfilter housing..
    32/36 for the 1600 is fine, but requires a new manifold and all the usual bits..

4. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK3 STRATOS SILVER 3.0 GHIA
    If it is a VV, as CO states, but at 30k most were toast and requiring a rebuild kit, or throw them in the bin, Weber did do a direct single choke replacement with manual choke that gave superior running and economy to the VV, but if you have the inlet manifold, you are half way there, a new twin choke alongside a decent four branch will give you a sweet 1600 OHC.

5. kenny james

Drives:
    3.0 GXL
    Hi Folks, I have purchase a new Weber jetted for the 1600 pinto. I have removed the old carb and all the gubbins that went with it. I have one electrical fitting left from the old carb and I’m not sure what I need to do with it or what it’s purpose was. Can I just ignore it and tidy it into the loom?

6. Not_Anumber

Not_Anumber Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 2.8i 5 speed. 2x previous Capris.
    Is that the VV's electronic auto choke connection ? If so it can be safely ignored if the 32/36 uses a manual choke or water operated auto choke.

7. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    if it is what is said above me, then tape it up onto the loom so its not going to flap about in the bay

8. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    Black wire, connector onto the carb same as the coil connectors.. runs to a bullet connector under the headlamp relay - was used for the fuel stop valve.. Not required on the new Weber..
    its an ign II feed, and is directly connected to the ignition switch side of the ballast wire ... now perfect to feed an electronic ignition system of your choice..

9. kenny james

Drives:
    3.0 GXL
    Thanks for the replies, hope to get it running this weekend

Clockwork Orange likes this.