Compression!

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by Rwoodward123, 27 April 2021.

1. Rwoodward123

Rwoodward123 Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Ford capri laser
    Hi all, I feel like I am living a nightmare with my laser. It is a 2.1 pinto ( so I was told) it struggled to start I had a mobile mechanic come out and check it over, he said there was enough voltage going to the coil. He then wired up a live from the battery to the coil then starter with a fuse replay in-between she fired straight away ( great news) I drove it down to the local garage for it's mot everything was fine she went like stink.

The capri then failed it's mot on a lengthy sheet, ( I wasn't surprised it was in a poor state before I got it) the garage have now had the car 5 weeks while I've been working away and they now tell me the compression is 85/90psi on all 4 cylinders so it needs a rebuild.

it is running twin weber carbs with a Kent fr cam. I was wondering if it does really need attention or are they pulling my chain

The car drove fine to the garage which I can't understand, I am currently still away so I can't look at it or even speak to them in person about it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Ross

2. Finn

Finn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.9 Mk 3 Capri. 2.8 Mk 3 Capri
    There is a garage local to me that is well up on Capris. If you do not get any joy send me a message and I will put you in touch. Finn.

3. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK3 STRATOS SILVER 3.0 GHIA
    Unless it's breathing like a steam train, and you say it went like stink, why would it need a rebuild, someone is taking the piss, just my opinion, which counts for nothing, BUT I do not believe in ripping people off, problem is, a lot of garages are thieves, not all, but a lot.
    I would tell them to cease work on your car immediately.

4. Rwoodward123

Drives:
    Ford capri laser
    I'm going to get it back and test the compression, I just feel like it's a poor response from the garage considering they have had it 5 weeks now. they haven't done any of the mot failures all they have done is test compression ( which wasn't what I asked for)

I thought with 85/90psi it wouldn't start or if it did it would run like a bag of shit. It always takes a few turns of the key to get it going but it's nearly 40 years old!

5. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    Doing your own test is a good start. Were the MOT failures all unrelated to this? Any reason they didn't work on those?

6. Not_Anumber

Not_Anumber Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 2.8i 5 speed. 2x previous Capris.
    Beware- they may be trying to put you off keeping the car an incentivising you to part with it for little money.
    Oldest trick in the book; a long list of MOT failure items, many of which may be too trivial to have feasibly failed in another garage. Then out of the blue they then claim there is an expensive engine fault which has to be tackled if you want to keep the car, it will take more time, money and hassle to fix. In the meantime the garage owner mentions he happens to know a local enthusiast who buys classic cars that need a bit of work. He knows a bit about old Fords, likes a bit of a challenge and doesnt mind getting his hands dirty on something that needs quite a bit of work . He could sound out this guy for you if you wanted, see what he thinks it might be worth in its present non MOT able state....
    Said local bloke of course usually turns out to be the garage owner's brother in law.
    I may be maligning a perfectly decent and respectable bunch of guys there but unless you know them well I really would get a 2nd opinion.

SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA likes this.
  7. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

Drives:
    In 45 years, I have taken my car to one garage, complete wa**ers, car came back with more than enough problems, that weren't there when it went in, the attitude was basically, tough shit, you want the other jobs doing, it will cost you more money, this was a recommended garage as well, wtf, so I said, f**k you, at the time I was 18/19 and didn't give a toss, BUT every person that has asked me for a recommended garage, I always say what ever you do dont use these tossers, they will rob you, just had a young lad completely robbed, £4k for an engine and they didn't put a new clutch in at the time, 2 days later, no clutch, there answer, we thought it would be ok!!??

8. steve 35

steve 35 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1.6L
    My first capri back in 1988, got ripped off by a garage, told me they'd replaced the head gasket, charged me a lot of money, 2 week later was having problems again, went to a different garage, head gasket needed replaced, took it back and they said it must be the way I was driving it! Wankers, after that I bought a Haynes manual and just plodded on repairing them myself,

9. Rwoodward123

Drives:
    Ford capri laser
    Here is the mot failure sheet, he said he didn't do anything of the work as the compression is low there isn't any point because the car would fail on emissions. The car never failed the mot on emissions that's what I also couldn't understand. I just feel like they are trying to fob me off so I pay out a hell of alot more.

For the mot faults they wanted £1200 then the compression was low and that would be more to fix Screenshot_20210424-195903_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210424-195911_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210424-195919_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20210424-195922_Samsung Internet.jpg

10. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    looks like ive got some work to do here Ross dont panic a lot of those are one related problem and repair one bit and some of the others are sorted at the same time, it looks more freighting than it really is, looks to me the garage is being an arsehole, but dont panic all is in hand mate

11. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

Drives:
    Most of that list is brake related, so brake hose kit, brake pipe kit, new rear cylinders and shoes, new front pads, possibly, new handbrake cable possibly, investigate servo operation, caliper repair kit, get your hands dirty and have a go yourself, you will be amazed at what you can achieve, photograph everything and take it to pieces and the most important bit, you will know the jobs have been done and you will be proud of yourself.

12. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    get the Capri out of that garage..
    .. .. they obviously have not got a clue ..
    sorry Ross, but you need good friends just now and that garage to give it back.. If they're saying they didn't start work on it (contrary to your agreements) then you owe them nothing

13. Not_Anumber

Drives:
    That garage are making an expensive mountain out of a molehill. Do it yourself with the advice and help of members on here and make sure you document the work, note how long each job took as an amateur and the cost of materials. Once youve sailed through the MOT elsewhere send a copy of the certificate, the fail form and your inf about the work to Trading Standards . Depending on what they come back with be sure to let the local press know. Garages like that take advantage of the unwary and shouldnt be allowed to do MOTs.

14. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    Or you could just enlarge your report to poster size and put it on the side of a van parked on the street in front of the shop, as an endorsement of their thorough work. :eek: ;)

Clockwork Orange likes this.
  15. 2.8jonny

2.8jonny Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Low comp on all 4 cylinders could just be exhaust valve seat recession because of unleaded fuel. I'd expect a garage to do some simple investigation before recommending a rebuild.
    Jonny

16. caprinerd

Drives:
    will get it sorted as Ross is about 10 miles from me just need to sort the brakes before anything else at least its then able to move and stop to start with

17. Rwoodward123

Drives:
    Ford capri laser
    Caprinerd has kindly offered to get the capri back on the road. ( finding someone local and honest is becoming more of a pain then I ever thought)

I just want to thank everyone for getting back to me. I was honestly dreading posting in here about the compression but you guys have been a wealth of knowledge.

18. Not_Anumber

Drives:
    It just goes to prove you have definitely done 2 things right.
    • Buying a Capri
    • Joining this forum

Clockwork Orange and caprinerd like this.
  19. caprinerd

Drives:
    Great post, sums it right up

20. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    if Rodger has decided to get involved then its a nice day..
    hope the garage is getting dumped, and if there is a web link to them, then suitable negative feedback can be lodged,,
    Ross.. you just did a lucky thing..

Rwoodward123 likes this.
  21. caprinerd

Drives:
    OI Alain theres no D in my name :p:p

22. Lord Flasheart

Lord Flasheart Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Panzer, Jeep, CBR600, 3.0 Ghia
    As punishment for such a spelling abomination by the honourable member for elastictrickery, can we change his sig to Capri Mk 3 for a couple of days :D:D:D

23. caprinerd

Drives:
  24. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    it was revenge for all the LLs I suffer, maybe not you but even on sites where peeps 'reply' and it pops yer name in automatically .. then dicksh!t still spells it wrong !!
    youre gonna get trouble Flash ..

ps even Ford in their own workshop manuals..
    upload_2021-4-30_20-46-46.png
    Part of the official publication --
    upload_2021-4-30_20-48-28.png

I thank yo !!

Lord Flasheart likes this.
  25. Lord Flasheart

Lord Flasheart Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Panzer, Jeep, CBR600, 3.0 Ghia
  26. caprinerd

Drives:
  27. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    anyhoo ..
    has Mr Woodward managed to get the Capri repatriated homeward yet??

28. caprinerd

Drives:
    I dont think he`s back here for another week at present as he is the otherside of the pond at present, so just waiting on word from him

29. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    hate to think what a parcel o rogues could do when he's off the scene.. Hope its just been parked up and left, not dismembered and made immovable :(

30. caprinerd

Drives:
    the area isnt that bad an area for crime so would think its been safe but who can tell what rouge the Hobbit generation would think to do these days

31. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    glad to see a happy outcome here they sound like a right bunch of cowboys

32. caprinerd

Drives:
    heard of them but never had dealings with them

33. Rwoodward123

Drives:
    Ford capri laser
    Yes I am still over the pond I'm due back on the 7th. I will then collect the car, I'm going to ask the garage to take it back to mine on a recovery truck as they failed the car and classed it as dangerous ( no brakes) so I shouldn't drive it it's only 2 miles from my house.

I then need to pray Roger has time for me and the capri still, I'll then get it up to his on a recovery truck with a few crates of beer. Then he will get her road worthy! I'd rather pay a friend then a garage to do the work anyway.

Crash & Burn likes this.
  34. caprinerd

Drives:
    Ross i may have someone to transport it down to mine, but lets get it back yours first and go from there