Daveyboy20's CA18DET Capri

Discussion in 'Members Capris' started by daveyboy20, 21 August 2009.

1. Nick

Nick A human. Being. Staff Member Forum Tech

Drives:
    BMW
    Nice one Davey, Look forward to the vid ;)

2. Copey

Copey Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Sierra Sapphire, Ford Capri
    ace, can't wait for the vid :)

3. daveyboy20

daveyboy20 Registered Capri Power Member

So took the rest of the 3" bore pipe I had and spent 4 hours trial and error with the angle grinder sorting the bends to finish off my exhaust and then used parcel tape to hold them together as tight as possible.

I cut a little square out of the tape at strategic intervals so the whole thing could be tacked together in one rather than holding each piece up separately because that's how I did the down pipe and that needed redoing at least twice! Very annoying spending ages fabricating the shapes, get it welded and then fit it and for it to be at the wrong angle! The first time the down pipe came off the elbow, went into the cherry bomb then pointed straight at the floor :mad: :D

So for the end piece I made sure it was right and securely kept it together!:

[​IMG]

Sold my daily (awesome Shogun :( ) and my chicken chaser moped isnt finished yet so I did the only decent thing and lashed it to my other mode if transport....

[​IMG]

Had to wait a day after getting it ready for the mission down the prom to my mate Lee's house for the welding so went in to the garage and tackled something that intoxicated me off good and proper when it happened:

[​IMG]

That's after a bit of sanding - it wasn't quite as bad as this but still!

Scratched the hell out of the belt cover (that I spent ages getting a nice finish on) when I refitted the engine after the rebuild. So I masked it up and prepped it, took the can off the shelf with the last dreggs of pearlescant Juice Green in it and gave it a few coats:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left it a day and took the paper off:

[​IMG]

I'll leave it another week and give it a good buff but looks much better now

[​IMG]

So this morning I set off to on the chopper to finish my exhaust, first off was tacking the pieces together using my 'strategic parcel tape gaps' PAT PENDING:

[​IMG]

So far so good:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sweet! Pedalled home quickly, got some funny looks from dog walkers, having a three inch bore exhaust on a push bike is the next step up from a playing card in the spokes I guess! ;D

Anyway, fitted it and it sits a treat, I made some brackets up to steady it and it's nice and solid:

[​IMG]

:cool:

Just gone in the garage with a glass of wine after a need for speed session and started to take the stickers off it:

[​IMG]

While I was there I thought it'd be rude not to grab some 'Dish Scene Points':

[​IMG]

Seein as I tastefully substituted the fag packet/can of Stella, do I get extra points for class?!

Tackling the electric fan at the weekend so watch this space for a vid of it running, fingers crossed. ;D :)

4. Copey

Drives:
    Looks cool that does Dave!

5. JackRatt

JackRatt Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    White 2.0, R1 Carbs, PP&bored injection head, fr32.
    Dream car. God damn.

6. daveyboy20

Cheers guys :) just havin a break from fitting my fan ready for electrics tomorrow :)

7. Nick

Drives:
    BMW
    HAHA love the wine in wheel.. I love that colour on your cam cover, very cool, and the exhaust looks bob on too :thumbup1:

8. chriscapriman

chriscapriman Registered Capri Power Member

somewhere where i dont know where i am, near liver
    Drives:
    '71 Capri 2.0XL & '86 Capri 2.0 stupidlaserturbo & '93 Granada Scorpio Estate 2.0 & '12 Focus wagon oil burner
    daveyBOY, yet you drink white wine :rolleyes: which is clearly a drink for the ladies :stunned:

good job on the car tho :thumbup1: - for a girl :DeadHorse: :lol: :lol:

9. pez

pez Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    nimbus grey "two eight"
    exhaust looks awesome in that position mate:thumbup1:

10. daveyboy20

Cheers chaps - mounted the fan, made some brackets from some old crap I had knockin about the garage, seems to have done the trick! I pushed the capri out the garage and up the drive and set about making a bracket/harness to house the interior fuse box and wiring to make sure it's tucked away and then bolted the rest of the dash back together for the first time since the conversion started which was satisfying! Trimmed the steerin wheel boss as well as the plastic ribbed part was too deep. I also did a bit more reading of my "Profec B" instructions and worked out how to change the reading from 'kpa' to psi but that's about it! I don't need to worry about it too much till it's run in anyway. I took a few proper pics with my camera (instead of my phone) which I'll post up later on :)

Oh and chriscapriman - don't knock the vino! ;)

11. chris_gray1980

chris_gray1980 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.8i Capri
    Top job Daveyboy... cant wait to see some videos :D are you planning on any shows or meets this year, i would love to see you car in the metal

12. daveyboy20

Thanks mate - soon as funds allow I'll be at every show I can! I want to get down to Santa pod a few times all depends on funds but I'm sure theyll pick up soon. Also gonna take it to the gathering (on RR) there is a hillclimb event there which I'd love to have a go of!

13. daveyboy20

Hey up, electric fan wiring went well - there are three tags on the VAG thermo switch instead of two so had to dunk it in a pan of water and test which ones we need - guess the other one normally goes to a sensor in the vag ecu or somethin. Spun the engine over a few times to get oil pressure up and then turned the key - she lives!!!

Had a few water leaks as it got to temp so dealt with them as and when - all from standard Nissan clamps that I hadn't swapped for jubilees so sorted them and tried again waited for the magic temp on the water gauge and 'click' fan on :) more importantly, temp down a bit and 'click' fan off! Wahey!

The hydraulic lifters are a bit noisy on one camshaft and they where nice and silent before but I've read up and been told that hydraulic lifters take a while to bleed themselves and come back to life properly so I'm hoping that itll get better as I drive it. Engine runs well with good oil pressure, there are a few bits to sort in terms of fine tuning - idle is too high and when you give it a gentle blip the revs drop to 400 then fight up 1400 and stay put, I also have to adjust the timing ever so slightly to suit the mods. Doesn't seem smokey and other than the lifter noise no unwelcome noises. Oil temp guage randomly stopped working but one of the water leaks pi$$ed all over the sender wiring so hope that's the cause.

So here are the vids I promised: it says I've posted more media files than I'm allowed to! Once a rebel always a rebel. I'll post the links to the YouTube pics instead of directly on the site :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlz1IKoTdW4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

There are gonna be some hefty pops from this when she's let off the leash!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkipcLPBU28&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Things to note from test drive ...
    Responsive as fook! Didn't labour the engine, rev over 3k or press the go pedal more than an inch or two and it just goes.
    Exedy Sports Tuff organic clutch is like a violent button! Good on the move but taking off nicely will be an acquired art ;D
    Gear change is lovely
    Brakes are $hite

So I have a bit of a list floating about in my head - I'll get it down on paper and try and get it ready for MoT asap, I'm going to look for insurance quotes tomorrow

14. robns

robns Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    rivera mk 3 s on twin 4os
    certinaly different nice engine upgfrade

15. Copey

Drives:
    Sounds ace dave!!! Nice one

16. Nick

Drives:
    BMW
    Liking the sound of that Dave. Top job ;)

17. squadge

squadge Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk3 Capri,naughty mk1 fiesta
    ace work for the side pipe,looks mint. :headbang::

18. kyle28i

kyle28i Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    audi a3 1.8t capri under going a transformation
    Tut weres the burnout haha only jokin mate looking and sounding very coool

19. scotia

scotia Registered Capri Power Member

Car looks and sounds great mate, you've done brilliant work there !

20. daveyboy20

Thanks guys appreciate the positive comments :) :)

21. daveyboy20

I've put a new stat in it and filled with anti freeze- mounted my fan on a better home brew bracket as well. It was killing the battery very quickly - tested battery and it was roughly 12v wether the engine was runnin or not. Traced the fault down to the hefty 75amp alternator fuse having blown. Seemingly earthed out somewhere - I'm hoping I made a silly mistake like dropped the terminal cables wrong way round when relocating the battery or something like that otherwise I have some frustrating electrical fault finding to do. Bought some new 75ampers now so I'll fit one with my fingers crossed and see if it pops.

Also - all the manifold and turbo gaskets are blowing! I've used 50 quits worth of updated MLS manifold gaskets and updated conceptua tuning manifold to turbo gasket and turbo to elbow gaskets and brand new NIssan nuts!! I reckon it's down to my exhaust. It's fairly solidly rigged to the chassis at the back end and the engine is sat on capri rubber mounts - basically the manifold is taking all the pressure from the engine movements so I'm guessing this is shaw making em blow. Soooo, I need to buy a flexi piece - found the perfect thing but it's 45 quid and I'm a bit low on funds so it'll have to wait. Had a blast up the road again and the front arches catch as it's so (too) low so I'll have to mod them a bit. Anyway that's a quick and not so interesting update for you :)

22. daveyboy20

Sorted alternator!! It was powered to the case - oops! Only fired it up for a few seconds but started and idled better :) next on the list is sort the exhaust and set the timing to match the chip. Made up bout the alternator though :)

23. daveyboy20

So I have some progress to report! Me and my mate Chris (meltedcheese) worked out the alternator charging issues and 75amp fuse blowing I was having and tracked it down to my stupid misswiring! Id managed to feed 12v into the alternator body instead of the terminal!

Anyway, that's sorted now so managed to have it running long enough to determine wether my frankenstien cooling system is man enough for the job and it appears it is. I fitted a new stat and when idling on the spot for a while the electric fan systematically cuts in and out and regulates a temperature somewhere just below 100 degrees. There is a hefty mix of anti freeze in there so boiling point is probs 110 plus? I'm hoping it's all ok it seems to be - there is a short on the standard Nissan temp guage though which means soon as the ignition is on the needle shoots skyward which was a bit worrying when I noticed it first time! But I have an auxiliary one that I'm using for safety along with oil pressue and temp.

Drove it up and down the road again but unfortunately due to the rather drastic lowering I gave it the arches caught on the front tyres! When going around a corner it perpetually bounced off them and when stopping and turning it hit them quite hard! :/ (in fact if you look at the video on the previous page the first time I take the right hand corner at the bottom of the road you can hear it hitting!) so I set about adapting the side profile of the front arches. It's something I've wanted to do for a while anyway - I always thought the front was a bit too high and the arch profile at the front didn't match the back too well so I set about pencilling a new profile and cutting them down. Followed by some more sanding!

There hav been a fair few hefty whacks of the bodywork during the build sadly which has chased a myriad of scratches and cracks so I also repaired a couple of these whilst I was modding the arches. It's not to the standard I had it when I first built it but at the moment other areas are taking precident! I'm happy with the new arch/tyre relationship - oh and I spent a LONG time polishing my neglected wheels back up - here's a couple of pics, I'm afraid the only pics I have are taken with an 'old camera' app on my phone! (but it's a cool effect so I'll post em anywho!

[​IMG]

New arch profile and polished wheels

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couple of random shots I liked

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and I modded my dipstick too :)

[​IMG]

So next is waiting for my new timing light to arrive and reset the timing to suit the stage 2 Horshams Developments chip and mods - hopefully it'll be here tomorrow. After that I need to try to stop my manifold and turbo gaskets from blowing which I presume is being caused by my solid fixed exhaust so I'll probably have to fit a flexi in there. My tubular manifold might be cracked so I may swap it back to standard - the tubular manifold is primarily for aesthetics as standard is good for over 300 but it'd be a shame to lose it as it looks cool. Other than that the headlights appear to only work with the engine off...

Couple of bits left and then MoT attempt number one- should be interesting!

24. chris_gray1980

Drives:
    2.8i Capri
    Looking great :headbang:: proper full steam ahead, do you have a 'MOT' date in mind??

oh and love the App, what is it called :thumbup1:

25. daveyboy20

Cheers dude! App is called 'retro camera plus' it's cool innit?! No MoT date in mind I'll set that as soon as I have sorted the timing and the lights. The only major thing then is the exhaust so if I have no more probs it won't be long at all before I can attempt to MoT it :)

26. georgeminns

georgeminns Registered Capri Power Member

looks awesome, will be truly unique when finishe. What make and size are those wheels and tyres, and where did you get the arches from?. cheers.

27. daveyboy20

Good morning Capripower!

As some of you know I've been working on my Capri for a while now - thought I'd update the thread as it's now on the road :)

Mot'd taxed and insured :)

Just before the maiden voyage:

[​IMG]

Out and about with my mates Volvo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was brilliant to be behind the wheel again! Slightly marred by running problems though, I've been upsetting my lovely neighbours with noise (it's fecking loud) so i took some tools and set the timing in a country lane and attempted to improve the running. Got it a bit better - timing is spot on but it doesn't like steady throttle only acceleration :/ it misfires on steady throttle... It also cuts out if I give it a rev up and let it settle back. But it sounds incredible and I can finally drive it - teething problems inevitable I guess!

28. kyle28i

kyle28i Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    audi a3 1.8t capri under going a transformation
    Looking good mate. Bet your glad it's on the road Now

29. vibrating_cake

vibrating_cake Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri
    Sounds like throttle position sensor problem?

30. daveyboy20

Very glad it's on the road - had my fair share of set backs! Managed toget it running much better now but there is still a slight miss on very light throttle - and a slightly inconsistent idle, I think some of my pipe clips are duff so I'm going to replace them as I have a feeling it's a boost leak... One of my intercooler pipes was edging off so I sorted that and it drives MUCH better it's just on feathered throttle that it stumbles now. Hopefully new clips will solve it.

Had an oil leak which was worrying but I've managed to sort that today which I'm really pleased with - however my diff casing is leaking pretty bad, seems to be from the handbrake bar holder, thinking it may have a weak bit of metal there and have developed a pin hole so I'm gonna have to buy a replacement cover and gasket but no big drama.

Pretty chuffed to have it on the road :D

31. daveyboy20

Oh, forgot - it could be the TPS, had my multimeter on it and it did seem to give out the readings the manual suggests it should so this is another possibility! Gonna make sure there are no boost leaks first then take it from there.

32. Copey

Drives:
    sounds like you are having similare problems to me Dave! let me know what sorts it and i will do the same!! a race to sort the CA18DET missfires?? :lol:

33. daveyboy20

Haha will do Tom! Yours drivable yet?

34. Copey

Drives:
    it limps about, but not really no :cursing:

35. daveyboy20

When does yours misfire? Mine does it on light throttle only. If you rev it up it cuts out when the revs drop to idle, I reckon theres a sneaky boost leak somewhere so I'm gonna change all my clips

36. Copey

Drives:
    mine revs upto 3k then starts to miss a lot, like you i think there is a leak somewhere! checked all hoses n they all seem fine, gonna re-build the inlet side of things next

37. jordan1504

jordan1504 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    White 1986 Capri 2.0 Laser
  38. daveyboy20

Thanks mate, I may have to make one of those! I'm almost certain it's a boost leak - gonna try and find it in the morning - done over 100 miles in it and absolutely loving it!

39. daveyboy20

Hi guys a lots happened since I last updated, looking at the last one I can't believe I haven't let you all know!

Basically it's fully run in now and setup properly - managed to crack the 0-60 in under 5 seconds! I'll keep the update short for now though so I don't spoil the mag feature!! Absolutely chuffed to say the least :)

[​IMG]

40. Copey

Drives:
    good 0-60 time that Davy! i know what i will be lookin at! what kinda power that mate? or what stage?

congrats on the feature too mate!

41. Nick

Drives:
    BMW
    Congrats on the mag feature mate. All your hard work has paid off. One quick motor mate. :thumbup1:

42. daveyboy20

Cheers fellas, certainly been a lot of work to get it where it is now!! Power is now a few lawn mowers short of 300hp!

If it's even slightly wet, like even a light drizzle it'll light the back wheels up in 5th on the motorway when you plant it! The fat rubber puts the power down great in the dry though! The chatter from the turbo at full boost sounds like chucking a cat into a binbag full of pidgeons :D

43. acepower84

acepower84 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk3 2.1, Mk2 2.0S, Octavia VRS
    That sounds brill news mate, a real performance machine!

44. Brookland32

Brookland32 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    280brookland 190e 230te
    Wicked car mate what do you do for a living seems to be top notch build you could make a living out of modding cars I reckon car is one of best modded I've seen got a bit of rat to it not to posh with a sprinkle of evil love it :smokin: :headbang:: :thumbup1:

45. Copey

Drives:
    gives me high hopes for mine then :D mine will be about 280bhp i hope

46. Rainbowfrank

Rainbowfrank Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Something else now...
    Nice man, glad it's finally working properly. Remember you having running issues a while back.

Congrats on theag feature! Why was the other car like? Did you know him before the feature?

47. udderbelly

udderbelly Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk3 2.0S
    Glad to here you got it all up and running :) and well done for getting a mag feature very well deserved! Will deffinatly be getting a copy :)

48. daveyboy20

Thanks guys :D

Brooklands32 I'd love to do it for a living mate! I hire, sell and deliver power tools and heavy plant which can be useful sometimes! Daniel, didn't know him before hand but he's a cool chap and his Capri is ace - Mk3 Supra Turbo running gear with plenty of custom bits :D looking forward to reading the feature and seeing the pics in a couple of weeks :D

49. daveyboy20

So the mag is out, she's in print! :cool: here's a sneak preview: :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really made up with it! ;D

50. Copey

Drives:
    Will definatly pick up a copy!

51. Rainbowfrank

Rainbowfrank Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Something else now...
    Tries looking for a copy of this when I was out (gettin bored of escorts in classic and Retroford) but couldn't find it in wh smiths, any ideas on where sells it?

52. Copey

Drives:
    Tesco should Dan

53. udderbelly

Drives:
    mk3 2.0S
    I cant find a copy eighther :(

54. Spliff

Spliff Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    modded mk3
    i'll pick it up at somepoint aswell, nice one. you taking it further or just enjoying it now?

also, that other capri. is it satin black? looks a lovely finish in the pics

55. daveyboy20

I'm gonna keep on improving it over time, plenty of things I want to do - these things are never finished! Yeah the other one is satin :)

WH smiths normally stock it so maybe they where out of novembers and not yet put decembers out? Big branches of Tescos too if your struggling to find it - tends not to be in smaller newsagents for some reason

56. chris_gray1980

Drives:
    2.8i Capri
    Not been on for a while, really chuffed for you mate with the mag feature, well and truly deserved :headbang:: :headbang::

Keep the progress going (will try and find a copy of the mag, if not i can get back issues on my phone (not quite the same though lol)

:headbang:: :headbang:: :headbang:: :headbang::

57. udderbelly

Drives:
    mk3 2.0S
    Finally managed to get a copy of the mag today, really enjoyed the feature :)

58. daveyboy20

Thanks guys! Glad you enjoyed the feature :) :)

59. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    er blond moment what mag is it

60. udderbelly

Drives:
    mk3 2.0S
    practical performance car, i had to buy my copy off ebay :lol:

61. caprinerd

Drives:
  62. udderbelly

Drives:
    mk3 2.0S
    No worries :thumbup1: xx

63. Foxc

Foxc Registered Capri Power Member

In one word man ... MEAN. One hell of a build and a good read fella!!!

64. daveyboy20

Update time! It's actually been off the road since September with a few problems!

Basically I filled it up with fuel and was about to commence a long drive about in the sun for a laugh on a Friday afternoon and it cut out as I got onto the busy roundabout te station is on! It rolled to a stop and wouldn't restart! It was mega busy and noisy so I couldn't get the fuel pump priming which made me think it was the problem I'd been suffering for ages in that the lack of a swirl pot caused fuel to shift away from the pickup on corners and the pump suck air up which was then seizing the pumps over time :/ i was sat on the roundabout in rush hour for over an hour! The amount of times it nearly got smashed Into I literally couldn't watch an more, people don't tend to look around the roundabout, they look to the next junction to make sure no one pulls out on them and then have to avoid broken down Capris at the last arse clenching minute! FOR OVER AN HOUR! Anyway, the police turned up in the end and I had two.policemen pushing me off the roundabout as I steered back into the petrol station to await the AA who turned up about 40 seconds later!

[​IMG]

Friendly classic loving AA dude :)

[​IMG]

Anyway, I had also spotted that a coolant pipe had sprung a leak and soaked my fuse box, oh dear.

Over the next few months I bought the parts to sort out the rubbish fuel system:

[​IMG]

2.8i tank for £30 from the Bay, wire brushed and hammerited. Needed to get my old sender bodged up at work to block off the old pipe - got it brazed over.

Swirl pot at last :)

[​IMG]

So got that fitted along with new pipes and a fast flow filter. Remounted the pump in a better place too. Tried to start it but the pump still wasn't priming!

65. daveyboy20

I managed to trace it back from the fuse box to the ECU and found this:

[​IMG]

Long story short that turned it to this:

[​IMG]

I fitted one of these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And had a problem with the injectors not firing.... Which flummoxed me for a few days until I foubd a blown fuse!

It started again!!

66. daveyboy20

So last weekend I sorted the coolant leak and taxed it! Driven it to work all week and apart from a few niggles Its had for a while its been ace! It spits flames every now as then which is cool :) I went for a late night drive for an hour or so and was blasting through some local lanes when the whole hedge to my left lit up orange as it exploded a massive flame into its hedgey face! Things like thi make you forget all the AA call outs!!

Here it is looking fat outside the shops after work :)

[​IMG]

And we even used it for the weekly sainsburys shop, see it is a Practical Performance Car ;D

[​IMG]

67. daveyboy20

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGZCDVukWg8&sns=em[/youtube]

68. Nick

Drives:
    BMW
    Glad its back up and going mate. Great buy on the 2.8i tank, dont see many at that price now. :thumbup1:

69. Copey

Drives:
    glad you got it up n runnin again mate :headbang::

70. daveyboy20

Thanks chaps :) :headbang::

71. 2.8i TIC

2.8i TIC Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri, Lightning
    Nice one Dave!!:) You have created a monster! :D

72. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    very nice, sounds really good... glad youre getting thru the teething probs

73. daveyboy20

Thanks fellas, appreciate the compliments! Made up to have it tearing up the tarmac again ;D

74. caprimk3

caprimk3 Richard Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mondeo Mk3, 78' Capri 2.3S
    Love the sound and stance mate :headbang:: :thumbup1:

75. daveyboy20

Cheers fella! :headbang::

76. udderbelly

Drives:
    mk3 2.0S
    Loving that video!!! Nice work glad you finally got it up and running, deffinatly worth the wait I reckon :)

77. daveyboy20

Finally found my thread! Apologies for not keeping it updated - those of you on Retro-Rides.org will know that I keep my build thread on there topped up and forget about other ones! I'll see if I can sort this one out a bit but it won't be as comprehensive as the RR one as it takes so long with a slow internet connection, it'll be more of a whirlwind update ;)

78. daveyboy20

Tricky to know where to start!

Well, it suffered an ECU problem due to a dodgy connector which fried the ECU. That was back in.. I can't remember. It's had so many set backs they've all blended together! I didn't touch it for ages, then in a spur of enthusiasm I sent the ECU off to be repaired, stripped the dash and soldered every connection doing away with all the potential problems of scotch locks and other such nonsense. With that sorted, no shorts to the ECU occured - and she fired up! Ran lovely but had plumes of smoke coming out of the exhaust due to a severely blown turbo! Apparently 20 year old turbos don't appreciate having boost pressure increased to stupid levels....

It also appeared to be throwing all the fuel on the floor rather than down the return line to the tank. Return line was totally perished!

79. biasmatty

biasmatty Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK 3, 1.6 Laser
    Glad to see that you are still working on her, Your thread about your Capri was on the reasons for me getting one :)

80. daveyboy20

Awesome :)

Well I gave her a full respray over summer, rebuilt the turbo, replaced the fuel lines and set fire to the dashboard. Wait. One of those wasn't a good thing..... dodgy relay, live to earth, melting to wiring loom. Fun! My best mate and I have stripled the whole loom, removed two aldi bags full of wires and hopefully soon we'll be getting somewhere :/

81. daveyboy20

Well - there've been a few updates since the last one. Sorry I don't keep this thread updated more often, i update my retro-rides one more thoroughly if you fancy a proper catchup:

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/51604/1986-ford-capri-turbo?page=1

she's on the road and being used daily now :) awesome to be behind the wheel again. Even if that wheel is slightly wobbly at the moment! Here are some pics from the last few weeks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

82. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    wow that looks hard as nails, love the wheels, glad you're getting to enjoy the fruits of your labour
    enjoy it[​IMG]

83. weedling

weedling Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri
    If they ever remake Mad Max, that should be in it!

Loving the wheels.

84. ADB

ADB Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Very nice !

85. daveyboy20

Hello! Thought I'd give a quick update to my thread. There'll be a bit of copy and paste from RR but I'll try and keep it making sense.

I took the stickers out of the windows the other day, lost a bit of character, but gained some 'shape' back i think. I would never have stuck all of the stickers on at once and blocked up all the windows, it was gradual over 13 years! Managed to re use some of the better ones on my toolbox.

Had a terrible steering wobble, so ordered some heavy duty TCAs.

The outer bushes came fitted, for some unknown reason, the inners were seperate.

[​IMG]

They're made of heavy duty rock hard rubber too, so needed some force to fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Success! Who needs a hydraulic press, when you've got a 40 year old bench vice?

A ratchet and strap came in extremely handy for taking the pressure out of the anti-roll bar.

[​IMG]

Old and new

[​IMG]

Fairly straightforward job, with no hitches really. The ones that came out did feel slack (even though they were poly bushes) so i was quietly confident the awful steering shake might be better....

It only bloomin fixed it! It feels better than it ever has in the 13 years I've owned it! really positive, responsive and tight steering with no shake or vibration whatsoever. It's literally transformed the handling, it really feels like a completely different car! My mate had a go and was well impressed.

86. daveyboy20

A couple of little bits. Fitted some sound proofing in the back and gave the boot area and where the rear seats used to be a coat of paint, bolted my new fire extinguisher in place, tidied up some interior parts and trimmed the old Range Rover boot mat so it fitted better. Just satisfying little bits!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

87. daveyboy20

Went for a blast about yesterday, basically just a little impromptu tour of all the old roads i used to blast it down when i was 18. It was ace actually, made me wonder why I hadn't done it more often. The paint is sanded down in prep for another respray at some point, so it's looking a little tatty - but here it is sans window stickers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yesterday I to had a go at 'white lettering' the front Toyos. I wanted to before but felt there was already too much going on with the stickers.

88. daveyboy20

The pen was useless so i squeezed the rubber paint out and used a brush.

It's not the best job in the world but looks kinda badass and confirms that i should buy genuine ones when the time comes (soon judging by the tread!).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

89. Nick

Drives:
    BMW
    Good to see you enjoying it after all the hard work mate. I kinda like the rubbed down look too hehe Very roadkill!.

90. andy

andy Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Ford Mustang
    i love the way this car looks, good job. Roadkill : love that show!

91. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    really enjoy reading your updates ,,, not really a fan of the satin/matt black look, but you do make it look good ...
    [​IMG]
    cracking stance and presence ...

may I ask where you got the rear spoiler ???

92. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    i really like it, glad you're enjoying driving it after all your hard work ,enjoy[​IMG]

93. vintoni

vintoni Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk3 Capri 2.8
    Awesome. Finally got round to reading the whole thread.

Out of interest what steering wheel is that?

Cheers
    Vin

94. daveyboy20

Thanks guys :)

I can't remember where the spoiler was from... maybe cci? Is a fibreglass replica of the rs3100 tail so needed modifying to get the right shape.

The steering wheel was from europa spares i think. Bought these bits so long ago i can't remember!

Started trying to prepare the paint on one side the other day, it's looking quite multi coloured at the moment, I'll throw a pic up when i get the chance!

95. daveyboy20

Hi guys - just made this video and thought you might enjoy it

96. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    Nice to see you back Davey..

daveyboy20 likes this.
  97. daveyboy20

Nice to be back!

98. caprinerd

Drives:
    nice vid and welcome back

daveyboy20 likes this.
  99. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    According to my review editors, your video needs more sex and violence. I just thought it needed road scenery, but they may have a point. :)
    But your devotion to the car showed way before that anyway. Welcome back with it. ;)

daveyboy20 likes this.