Fast Road Cam Essex

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by Laser Capri, 2 January 2021.

1. Laser Capri

Laser Capri Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.0 Laser and 3.0s
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience of the Kent (or other) fast road cams in the Essex? If so how lumpy are they on idle?

I had a fast road cam in my pinto and it made it lumpy to the point it struggled when cold at idling. I'm hoping being a v6 it probably wont be as badly effected on idle by the cam. I'm not that keen to make the essex feel anymore agricultural as i quite like how smooth it is currently, but looking to up the power a bit with some new heads and cam.

2. 1970 sean

1970 sean Established Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    c class, puegeot partne,r focus,wishing my 1970 capri
    ive got a rebuilt essex fitted with a v62 kent cam and porting polishing and balancing on a low mileage block , was told will be fine for road use ..
    but during a collection of engine parts during rebuild time bought a sorry state of an engine but fitted with a steel timing gear and a v66 cam subsequent digging not really any use for road use tickover around 1500 and top out at 6600 rpm ,,,[maybe one day :cool::cool:]

3. 2.8jonny

2.8jonny Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Good morning.
    I've got a fast road kent cam in my 2.8 cologne engine and experienced no change in idle quality when in was fitted to an otherwise standard engine, although this engine was a full fresh rebuilt unit and replaced a high millage but sound unit.
    I have however since experienced a drop in idle quality with big valve gas flowed heads.
    I'm sure someone will be along shortly will more specific info.
    Happy new year
    Jon.

4. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK3 STRATOS SILVER 3.0 GHIA
    As I am an avid fan of the Essex V6, I wouldn't want to loose the low down smoothness, even if 1.4 Corsas can leave me for dead!!!!????
    The first time I fell out of love with my Essex (probably 1980) was when a Golf GTi overtook me on a bend and I was doing about a ton, any faster and I would have been in the ditch, I spent a lot of money on a cam, valves and porting, did it go much faster, I don't think so on paper the improvements added up to a fair few horses.

5. Stroker

Stroker Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Sierra Ghia Estate 4x4
    Another option to look at if you are concerned with idle quality and drivability is to fit a set of SBC 1.6 or 1.55 ratio roller rockers to your standard cam. Easy and cheap to do, only requires tappet cover removal. These will give a nice increase in valve lift with a small increase in valve duration. I think you will need to remove the pushrod guide plates and file a small amount to stop the pushrod binding on them at full lift.

Clockwork Orange likes this.