Kismet

Discussion in 'Members Capris' started by Crash & Burn, 22 May 2020.

1. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    I admit I've also been looking at the Sniper kit - Me, the no-tech guy!
    And I've read some mixed opinions about the benefits of the Offenhauser manifolds, but I'm not tech enough to make proper sense of them. It does make a nice accent touch in the garage for now.

2. Rafer

Rafer Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    280 xpack project
    I want to convert one of my Tickfords to EFi, as I've got a low comp 3.5 turbo engine and this was the best solution to do that, as fed up with the K-jetronic clogging up when it's not being used.
    I've been waiting over two years for the inlet manifolds to be made, so glad they are nearly ready.

3. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    I was looking at the price of the sniper kit!
    $1500 for that, OK good its got everything, but appears to need a return flow to the tank..
    but an Edelbrock 500 (1404) is a good match for the V6, does my 3500 V8 just beautifully, and as a carb, all the seals and gaskets are above the fuel level line so do not drip & drain same as a Holley carb ..
    over here, I think I paid less than £350 for the carb.. the manifold was maybe £200? I cant remember for sure.. same air filter does both !!
    it fits with exactly the same pump, filters, & plumbing as was on the SUs (subject to the actual carb connexions).. and I don't think I will get any better consumption, by spend 4+ times more..

and I wont be carrying computers !!

Luddite for the win !!

4. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    As said, no rush, but in something less than an hour, progress from the last pic..
    Weather too nice for this now, I'm off to the hills..

DSCF0606.jpg

5. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    i welded an old Chevette i had like that lol

6. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    interesting to see those forward pipe mounts, around the gearbox crossmember, and also the dents in the floor (under the seat) for the cats to sit in ...
    so now being OR registered, what scope now for standard pipes thru to the silencers (no cats) ..
    Also -
    Mate (dearest Gaz) if you're going to hang the car off an engine lifter, please at least slide a wooden trestle under as way of a safety..
    we don't even condone sliding under a car when its on a jack, without stands under.. Hydraulics are only your friend on the way up..
    if the hydraulics decide to give in while your under there playing Picasso, you'll be wearing that car like Speedy Gonzales' sombrero..

Rafer likes this.
  7. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Wha, you no like Speedy's sombrero?!

8. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    To back up a bit, I originally got 2 cans of the 2K aerosol for the engine bay, but then decided to test them out first on the underside.

DSCF0607.jpg

As I was so pleased with the product and the colour, I've now carried it up through the bay. It will again be a contrast with the final body colour, but chosen for a light, clean look and practical benefits. And look, Roger, at all those holes. They look even rounder now. City of Long Beach Municipal Transit Fleet Gray, they call this. Battery tray previously done with Paint-Over Rust (POR-15), left exposed to test the stuff...

DSCF0611.jpg

Best part is, this slight advancement has inspired another coming surge of progress...That will of course begin with a few hours of sitting with beer, staring at it all.

Last edited: 17 April 2021
    chris249, Lord Flasheart and 2.8jonny like this.
  9. Rafer

Drives:
    280 xpack project
    WOW, looks really good. I do like that colour for the underneath.

10. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Thanks. I did feel a bit of guilt cleaning the underside, for having no rust to deal with. The spray degreaser and steam made the gunk real easy to wash off, and then I used a new "waterless" dish soap spray (https://dawn-dish.com/en-us/products/dawn-powerwash-dish-spray), rinsed away with steam again, to get rid of the degreaser residue. Too simple for this forum, I admit, but I'm not doing it over.

Clockwork Orange likes this.
  11. caprinerd

Drives:
    Looking good Gaz

12. caprimk3

caprimk3 Richard Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mondeo Mk3, 78' Capri 2.3S
    Lookin' very good :cool:

13. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    nice works Gaz..
    That Grey works.. also note with interest in your engine bay..
    a drop down bracket that looks suspiciously like a tow-loop but welded to the frame just behind the battery tray..

Now I have in my possession a genuiny German front chassis tow-loop bracket, but its a bolt-on item for around the front sway bar mount.. so obviously something different..
    do you have a similar bracket piece on the left frame-rail?.. could these be transport tie-down brackets ??

14. caprinerd

Drives:
    sitting with a beer is part of the job, thats what i always though

Crash & Burn likes this.
  15. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    I've always taken them (yes, both sides) as tow loops, but they might make more sense as transport tie-downs, as they'd be less likely to bend like that one in the pic has. I've just fitted a new crossmember with the tow loop that I got some years ago from Martin. To be featured in one of the next pics, coming to your neighborhood soon...

16. kenny james

kenny james Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    3.0 GXL
    Dash looks good, appears to have covered the red really well. Did I miss what you used to fill the cracks in the dash?

17. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Thanks -- I thought I'd put it up before, but now I don't see this, only the dye. But from the same makers....(I'm sure with more practice & patience, one could do an even better job with it.)

DSCF0614.jpg

kenny james likes this.
  18. kenny james

kenny james Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    3.0 GXL
    Many thanks will have a look for some. I new a lad who swore by POR thought it was the best thing ever for protecting car bodywork.

19. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Today's challenge - This power rack from Kismet leaks at both ends of the tube I'm pointing at, I presume because the tube is bent in the middle. I have a rebuild kit, but it seems to include everything but those seals. And I've just come from the local Ford dealer, where they said none of their mechanics has ever had experience working on a power rack - in fact, acted almost afraid to talk about it. As I think Kismet was a rather low-mileage car, I suspect this rack might otherwise be fine as it is. I do have a second one, with that same tube cut in the middle (Aargh..)

DSCF0617.jpg

20. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    so if you gently tease that bent pipe back straight again, will it seal again, I take it they are a push in olive kinda thing.. Again my lack of trust in power steering also creates a lack of knowledge !!

I was looking at the start of the thread again, and got to the factory build sheet.. I note with interest the build date code - ST - 1976 December .. so yet again the benefit of CA no more..
    I am continuing the search for detail regarding the starter NSS wiring, relay & switch detail.. I have none of my own drawings for that at all !!

21. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    I've come to driving the rack around town, following one referral after another to various people interested in looking. I don't expect pushing the pipe straight again would work, as the seals are visibly cracked. After a few more tries, I might take the other one apart to see what I can do about rebuilding it myself. As these racks are so rare in LHD, I'm hesitant to sacrifice one.

22. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    ...Meantime, mostly just for something to do...but a chance to spot missing bits and try to plan ahead some. But I'm liking the staring at it part even more now, and there's the coveted Capri Gear powder-coated crossmember, glistening and waiting for a steering rack..

DSCF0618.jpg

23. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    theres some strange looking kit going back in there!
    the 2 relays, right side of the heater plenum, one of them the interlock for the auto-box Neutral Safety Switch??
    really looking good Gaz..

24. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Oh, now I suppose you're gonna make me figure that out. :) It's just one of the questions I was saving for you. I was just hoping that if I find a place for all the wires to go, then it will make the whole world perfect - Those things fit there perfectly, whatever they do.

(But in order to earn my keep here, I'll see what I can do to identify them...and which wire to cut first, when you don't want the car to blow up.:))

25. caprinerd

Drives:
    got to love a fed car lol

26. ebd630x

ebd630x Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    205 GTI, Disco TD5, Ford Ranger Ute,
    Have you been in contact with Offenhauser directly about the 2.6 inlet or via a retail seller?

27. ebd630x

Drives:
    I used some generic o-rings to reseal my connector pipe. I think it is an air pipe rather than any fluid transfer?

28. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Thanks, I might need to do that - But in fairness, I think I made a mistake, as I've now found two pieces in the kit that could be those seals. And now that the spare rack is down from its storage berth, I see it's the other line that's been cut on it. A bit more studying today, and then tomorrow one or both will come apart, enough to switch the tube. I think I can.....

ebd630x likes this.
  29. Rafer

Drives:
    280 xpack project
    Yeah I spoke to Vince at Offenhauser, I had my last email from him in January, and was told they are waiting to be finished from rough castings but due to Covid there's a little wait

ebd630x likes this.
  30. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    I have indeed confirmed that of those two relays, the one on the left is the auto transmission one I couldn't find before (But Alan did, without leaving his house in bloody Scotland). Confirmed by the numbers on the relay and wire colours matching the diagram. That method hasn't worked for the other one right next to it.
    Red wire, black wire, blue & white wire, and a brown earth. It's going to do something perfectly like the rest of the loom, but I might never know what it is. And the big one over there. Big(ger) mystery. But it looks okay, I'll leave it in.

DSCF0618.jpg

31. caprinerd

Drives:
    whats the unit bolted to your inner wing not seen this on a UK model so must be a Fedral item, is it something to do with emissions at all?

32. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Emissions-related, yes - meaning I can't fully explain it, either. Some sort of solenoid that reroutes vacuum, I think, at the perfect federally-determined time of course. Meaning I might remove it later. :)

33. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Decided to wait on the steering rack and order the correct tool specified by the manual, for drilling the locking pins that secure the tie rods...

https://www.freedomracing.com/lockn...MIqKT04r2c8AIVw45bCh0shgotEAQYASABEgKeLfD_BwE

Would have tried without it, but with two racks to do, I'd rather have it. And after reading Elliot's thread this morning, I found enough patience for the right way, that I can wait for delivery. It's one thing to do a job, and another to do it without collateral damage. :)

Lord Flasheart likes this.
  34. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
  35. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Thanks, Alan, I'll use that one day. In that pic, it's item "D" I need to change, but the inner tie rod needs to come away to move the housing.

I went back today to the marker lamps. I'd been stumped at how to remove the coating inside their trims and restore them. Our Trophy Blue suggested this supremely simple solution - Wheel paint over a base of flat black. On test pieces, a quick before and after...

DSCF0626.jpg

That is actually far bigger progress than I will explain here. Now beer to clean beer up the shop again and have a beer.

36. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK3 STRATOS SILVER 3.0 GHIA
    It's the attention to the small details that will make your car, engine bay looking really good.

37. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Thank you -- It is looking good, and the more I stare at it, alternately with watching the work of so many others on here, I'm influenced to take more time and patience. I haven't at all competed with the results we see from Chap Foose, for instance, but I wouldn't be a bit ashamed to show this to him. I've begun to fashion ways to seal off the bay to protect it during the coming body work and respray. As for that, I have settled on colour, and no reason to keep it a secret:

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-aquamarine-blue-metallic-intermix-paint-kit.html

38. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    I came across some pics from the prior owner, who also got the car as a project. I'm not quite sure in what order they were taken, but I presume he got the car with the motor in, so in random order after that...

capri 3a.jpg

capri 19a.jpg

capri 14a.jpg

capri 13a.jpg

capri 11a.jpg

capri 4a.jpg

capri 7a.jpg

capri 16a.jpg

capri 17a.jpg

capri 15a.jpg

capri 18a.jpg

capri 12a.jpg

capri 6a.jpg

capri 9a.jpg

capri 8a.jpg

capri 5a.jpg

capri 10a.jpg

ebd630x likes this.
  39. caprimk3

Drives:
    Nice to see your progress Gary.

I have never seen a leakage from that pipe on a power rack before, but I bet age is the clueprint, not down to use or temps.
    Myself have only owned manual steering Capris (currently on my 6th).
    Wear I have seen on the racks in my ownership includes failed bearing around the input shaft and torn rubber boots on high milage ones.

40. caprinerd

Drives:
    Gaz can you still get the burr walnut dash facias over there, cant seem to find one here, i realise your driving on the wrong side of the car but was curious mate

41. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    I had an NOS one in Careena, came with the car somehow. Now I have the one from this car that will pass, and a spare in worse condition. Beyond that, not sure where I'd find one except from a wrecked car. Easier to have one made, I'd think.

42. caprinerd

Drives:
    Seem to be none existent here now

43. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    There was at least one person on here making nice true wood ones, I thought - In Oz? That would be my first option.

44. caprinerd

Drives:
    have made a laminated one but not 100% happy

45. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    YogiHogg was making them

46. caprinerd

Drives:
    right will message him cheers Al

47. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Special power steering rack tool arrived.....

DSCF0632.JPG

....and I discovered that I didn't need it to replace the leaking tube, which has been done. I will use it later to adjust the tightness of the ball sockets for the inner tie rods. Action pics when I get to that..

48. ebd630x

Drives:
    Did the tube just pull out when you slid it all the way to one side? You’ve got me paranoid about the fix I did now...
    It will be interesting to see that special tool in operation - it’s not obvious to me from looking at it how it works/what it does. I probably need to replace the seals in my power rack, on the other hand, 30 years of sitting-what could possibly go wrong... :)

49. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    The tube did pull out easily, after just removing the passenger side locator bolt for the heavy housing and sliding it away 3/4 inch. The tool is for the job of adjusting the tension on the inner tie rods, which I'll do when I get home in several days. Action pics will ensue...

ebd630x and Clockwork Orange like this.
  50. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Okay, as promised, I've played with the extra steering rack and the new special tool today. Having consulted every reasonable place in town and being rebuffed by them all, I was left with my own shop. First, by ignoring the rest of the procedure in the manual, I found that removing just this "locating screw peg" (and either end of the pressure pipe) allowed me to slide the end block away on the main tube, far enough to replace the leaking transfer pipe...
    DSCF0643.jpg

Then back to the manual, because I wanted to adjust the tension of the inner tie rods. I've found that when they lose tension, judders occur, and can be hard to trace. Figure 7 was one manual section that convinced me to buy the tool, 75TP-3504-B Sections 3 - 4 of the text are pertinent...

DSCF0641.jpg

And Figure 8 shows what's inside the ball housing being adjusted...

DSCF0642.jpg

And of course I played before the tool arrived, starting to drill out the lock pin, but the tool helped, used as described in the text.

DSCF0636.jpg
    +
    First, I made special tool 75TP3504C with a piece of blue masking tape..

DSCF0638.jpg

Then position the guide hole of the tool over the lock pin, and drill..Here, I find the tool accommodates a .014 drill bit, but the manual calls later for a 0.16 pin. That's 5/32-inch and 3/8-inch, respectively. I used the tool and .014 to remove the pin, and then used it the same way on the opposite side to get the proper depth, then widened the hole to .016 without the tool to fit the new proper-size pin.

DSCF0639.jpg

In the reassembly section of the manual, sections 30 - 31 of the text show the finish of this adjustment....I find 30 (a) to be easier than 30 (b), and the depth noted in #31 to be confusing, so I drilled according to the depth gauge on the opposite side, where drilling without the tool would be extremely difficult, given the uneven match between the housing and locknut.

DSCF0644.jpg

Here, the tool is applied to the small hole in the ball housing in order to turn the adjustment without damage...

DSCF0646.jpg

And expecting that the inner seals of the rack are still good, that is all I want to do to this one.

51. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    I should mention that there was only one more of these tools available from the source I got it, roughly $60 US plus shipping. When I'm done with both my racks, I'll make this one available to any member, worldwide, who is willing to pay only the return postage when they're done with it. It's for the power rack only. I also have the comparable tool for the manual rack.

52. Lord Flasheart

Lord Flasheart Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Panzer, Jeep, CBR600, 3.0 Ghia
    Top work there Gary :)

53. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Today, did the other rack that will go into Kismet. Got what looks like a perfect result, and made it look easy because nobody was watching. But having trouble stretching new gaiters on with only two hands. Help coming tomorrow. Then will order another kit and rebuild the spare rack, an extremely rare part here.

54. caprinerd

Drives:
    good to get an update Gaz, keep them coming bud

55. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    nice wee couple of updates Gary..
    that tool is right interesting, I have never seen anything like it ..
    You say its a different tool for a manual rack, so I assume that one is slightly smaller?

excellent works.. and an excellent offer to members here.. Well done Gary

56. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Kismet is turned around now in the garage, rear end out and moved by various creative devices to the back yard for refurbing. I remember on Careena, I lifted the rear end and walked it to a table 30 feet away. A few years older & wiser now, I didn't lift any of it this time. It's cleaned & painted now, but drums are still stuck on and waiting for my renewed interest.

DSCF0649.jpg

I started last night cleaning the underside again, from the forward spring mounts back. As the exhaust was in the way, I got that out early this morning, before the Norwegian heat wave hits. I'll take the pipes out back and scrub them clean, at least. Once the car is together and they're in place, I'll have the cats removed.

DSCF0648.jpg

We'll be a solid 40c (105f) here today, but the garage will be cooled to a mere 27c (82f). With beer, that will be perfect to finish the cleaning.

A Before & After in one shot here, just steam, sprayed degreaser, and paper wipes so far. Really not so bad a job. And this was the original gray of the underside..

DSCF0650.jpg

ebd630x likes this.
  57. caprinerd

Drives:
    oh how i hate that job, i did it on NooNoo then hand painted it rubbed it down and then spray painted it, all on my back whilst car was on axle stands

58. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    There's the underside paint done and wheel wells done in truck bed liner, gives the garage a good chemical aroma...

DSCF0653.jpg

..While in the back yard, things are coming along. Brake drums were big-time stubborn. Like me...

DSCF0654.jpg

Drums and all other brake system parts will be replaced with new. Ample time now to play with details while more parts are in transit.

ebd630x likes this.
  59. Lord Flasheart

Drives:
    Good progress there mate ;)

60. caprinerd

Drives:
    yeah good to see it off Gaz

61. caprimk3

Drives:
    I did see what you did there Gary ;):D

Looks fantastic now. Gives ideas for my own car.
    I hope mine is just grubby under so a steam wash will do and then paint.

62. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    liking your work as ever Gaz..
    that underside looks really respectable now, minus one bump-stop, and the dents in the wheel well (what did the last guy drop in there, an anvil ??)
    well done getting the drum off, when they stick they can be a sod!!

63. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    When I removed that "missing bump stop", one of the screws broke, so I didn't pull the other one. The broken screw is now repaired and both bump stops back in position looking nice. The spare wheel well was torn through from the bolt fixing for the spare being twisted for some reason. It's got silencer mat on the inside already, so being above the tank, I won't try to improve on it any more. I also touched up the light spots in the paint after that pic.
    Today moved the rear end back to the front porch to do the brakes. The most comfortable brake job I ever did, as I can sit on the stool and see everything at eye level. The replacement drums are a set I had turned some years ago, been in my storage since. Also had wheel cylinders and spring kit in spares.

DSCF0656.jpg

One side done, the other tomorrow. I earned myself another dinner out.

DSCF0655.jpg

64. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    As I'm trying to keep up with Rog this week, here's a pic of Kismet's sphincter muscles...

DSCF0659.jpg
    Out with the old, that's all renewed now. New brake lines and fuel return fitted underneath, new-ified exhaust hangers from spares and both bump stops proud in place. Perhaps won't look quite so clean with the used exhaust system back in, but you'll remember it like this...

S0020664.jpg

And this a fair place to pause in thanks to the many other members whose work made mine better. You can't even see where I welded anything! That's Elliot's influence. :)

65. caprinerd

Drives:
    keep up with me i was trying to keep up with you :D:D:D

66. Lord Flasheart

Drives:
    Stop yacking & get on with it the pair of you :D

67. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    I showed you sphincters, what more do you want? :D

68. Elliot

Elliot Big Fabrication Guru Capri Power Member

Nice to be influential lol

69. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Rear end, suspension, brake cable and all new brake parts refitted and adjusted, back on the "ground" and torqued, all very nice under there. Next, turn it around, fit new fuel line, sort inside wiring and some prep on the driver's door and front wing.

DSCF0673.jpg

70. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Just came on to say that pursuant to consultation with Alan (aka Clockwork Orange), Kismet's first new wheel has arrived from Burton Power, and I'm surprised at how long since I've updated this. There's been some behind-the scenes progress, but not enough.
    I'm needing to order the wheels one at a time to satisfy the size requirements at my post office. That adds a lot to the shipping total, so I'm going to use them as motivation, and require myself to advance the car between each shipment.
    I'll order the next wheel Monday, so I'd better get busy. (This one took a month to come, only because they're made to order. Usually I get shipments from Burton in 3-5 days.)
    But enough chatter - Here's a pic..

DSCF0804.jpg

71. caprinerd

Drives:
    15" minilites good call gaz, think i should have gone 15s when i got my new rims

72. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    they are a bonny wheel for sure .. Nice to see them turning up now..
    although I don't understand your PO having 'incoming limits'?

73. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Size/weight limits - When I ordered a trailer hitch once, it was in a carton too large for them so they sent it back.
    Many US post offices will still not accept shipments from private carriers. Mine does, so I try not to abuse the service.
    They came up with a way to do it, and it works out as a valuable method. (I ask private carriers to use the street address of the post office rather than my P.O. Box or street address, and that avoids their requirement that anything addressed to the P.O. Box must be shipped there by the actual postal service - and keeps my street address confidential, with no worries about security of the delivery)

74. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    I had the seats reupholstered, and got them back today -- (Will find another place to store them, out of the kitchen..)

DSCF0841.jpg

That distraction out of the way, I can return to my electrickeral lesson. Alan has been after me for years to show how to do the interior wiring on a Capri. It starts with a diagram, of course...;)

DSCF0842.jpg

You may notice there's no beer in the pic yet. That's next...Then, stare at the diagram and look at wires, and compare with drawings in three manuals, until something makes sense. It's that simple. :)

75. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    :p:D:p:D slow start there Gaz... no Bier ? :(

76. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    noticing the humps in the floor for the catalytic converters ... take it they wont be getting refitted now!

77. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Once the car is together, I'll get them removed and new mufflers (silencers) fitted. The humps, I can hide with those new seats..

78. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    straight pipes from headers to the mufflers under the back seats .. pipe straight though that area..

79. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    That's the plan.