minor rust on 2.8

Discussion in 'Members Capris' started by 2.8jonny, 20 March 2010.

1. 2.8jonny

2.8jonny Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    made a start on the repairs need on the passenger a post last night, what do you think?

chop.jpg chop 1.jpg chop3.jpg chop 4.jpg chop5.jpg chop2.jpg

jon

2. stetat2

stetat2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Cosworth mk1 Capri, 1954 ford pop gsxr 1000 k1,
    yor're right ther Jon, its always worse than it first appears. Dam fine job you're doing so far though :thumbup1:

3. Elliot

Elliot Big Fabrication Guru Capri Power Member

The rot on the A pillar doesnt look too severe.. How are you going to weld it? With a mig I assume ?

If you havent already, get that door surround rubber right out of the way and remove the door switch and the foam/rubber part... also make sure there are no wires too close on the inside.... and also important, from the inside you will find the sunroof drain tube, I dont know if you can get it too far out of the way, so stuff something non flammable like a wet rag or similar between it and the weld area.... check for fire frequently...
    and... good luck !

Elliot

4. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    No the rot there is not to bad, the heavy strengthener that runs up to the hinge although rusty is totaly solid. The mig is all i have to use at home and my tig skills are a little lacking, so its mig all the way baby.

There is loadsa space between the panel and any flamable parts such as the drain tube and wiring, so thats all cool.
    The seal and the switch foam are both parts you can guarantee i would have forgotten to remove, thanks very much for the reminder.

What are peoples views on fire control/extinguishing? I have always gone for the wet rag and bucket of water approach at home. At work i have always had access to very good extinguishers, which i have used during a couple of nervous situations, mainly due to a lack of preperation and youthfull exuberance. Doesn't fresh waxoil thined will white spirit burn well!!!!

jon

5. Rosser

Rosser Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.8 injection, day to day ST220
    I would have thought fresh waxoil thinned with white spirit was just waiting for a spark or loads o heat .
    generaly have an air line beside me when weldin ,not so good sometimes as have seen it faning the fire in some case, not lost a car yet
    Are you going to drill couple of holes in your patch and reattach it where the original spot welds were ?

6. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection

Yeah straigt back on the origional spots, gonna do some 6mm holes and plug them. The sheet steel i have is a tiny bit thicker that the origional ,so should be as strong as when it were first made.

jon

7. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    A post corrosion cut out and plated, a skim of filler will render it invisible.

chop7.jpg chop8.jpg

Lower wing removed to reveal the horrors beneath!!

chop6.jpg chop7.jpg chop9.jpg chop10.jpg chop11.jpg chop12.jpg

Oh bum it's worse than i suspected. I'm now pleased you guys shamed me into doing these repairs.

It's funny i have always seen the yearly trip to the mot man as a battle of wits and a demonstration of my abilities to pull the wool over the testers eyes! Now i have a fresh outlook and realise that the mot is and has always been a test to prove the road worthiness and safety of your vehicle.

I must be getting old!!!?

Jon

8. sean

sean Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri 2.8i special
    shudder!!! that brings back a few horrible memories at the start of my resto!!!

9. Elliot

On a positive note.... I've seen a lot worse. Good job on the a pillar repair.

Elliot

10. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Thanks for the comments guys, they really spur you on as does the first car meet in April!

Progress is slow, but i am trying to maintain a fairly stock apearance. So just a couple of minor bits done the last couple of evenings, mainly trying to rebuild the lip on the floor that all the other panels spot on to.

chop14.jpg chop15.jpg chop16.jpg chop17.jpg chop18.jpg chop19.jpg chop20.jpg

Sorry for so many pics in so much detail, but this thread is good for my records.

Jon

11. drev

drev Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk3 2.0s and a mondeo 2.0 ghia
    Your doing a good job there. Should last you many more years.

12. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    thanks drev for the encouragement.

did a couple of hours last night and thing are starting to look capri shaped again!! realy closing back in.

chop20.jpg chop21.jpg chop22.jpg chop23.jpg chop26.jpg chop27.jpg chop28.jpg chop29.jpg

couple more nights like that and i'll be ready to stuff the bottom of the wing back on, yip.

jon

13. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Managed to grab an hour this evnin and got the inner sill welded up. Just got to make the outer sill repair sections fit them and its wing on time baby!

chop32.jpg chop31.jpg chop30.jpg

jon

14. Elliot

Making good progress there bud. looking forward to the finished results..

Elliot

15. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Well the camera broke after the last post, so i just carried on minus photos.

The job is all but done. All rebuilt with fresh steel and stronger than ever. Got the bottom of the wing sprayed and the door hung this evening, isn't it a pig trying to hang a fully furnished door by yourself!

Just got to refit the interior and go for the mother of all cleans and yip she is gonna be ready for the route 38 meet this sunday down here in Cornwall, just need to make sure the babies seats fit!!

Still lots to be done but she is safe once again.

Thanks for all the constructive comments.

Jon.

16. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Winters here and it's my night off!

In the garage for little poke around the passenger side scuttle and the driver side a post and sill end, next thing you know the dash is out and the drivers door is off!!!!

Here we go again, should be two tone caspian over strato by the time i finish. There realy aint that much to do just tidying and the odd bit of rust removal and repair.

Drivers a post holed
    drivers side sill end, floor pan, bulk head, inner sill-bit crusty lip between them all fell off when poked
    tail gate slam panel holed
    both lower rear quarters full of fibre glass
    localised repairs on both rear arches
    localised repairs on both sills
    passenger side scuttle full of scarey filler
    bare metal the lower half and change colour as its stone chip tastic
    rear panel is suspect but probably just localised rusty and split above exhausts

Sh!t think i have my work cut out for at least a year of thursday evenings, no more bmx night on thursday.

Will do updates with piccies as before and i'll be more carefull with the camera.

Jon

17. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Bar poking a hole in the drivers floor pan and putting the front end up in the air there is no real progress as house DIY has taken priority again.

That said when starting the car up to move her a little to the left before the big jack up i did the usual checks around and under for all those things i just popped down there for a minute or 2 a month back. Something was wedged at the back but on closer inspection turned out the bloody ns fuel tank strap had rotted through and fallen off!

Here we go again.

jon

18. Laser

Laser Laser Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
    Chin up ! the good part is you are working your way through the problems got to say im well impressed with the quality of your welding and fabrication skills .. once the rots set in it is a real challenge ..but it looks like your getting it licked :headbang::

19. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Well its started again.

Managed to grab some time in the garage this evening, trouble with the welder, which turned out to be rusty wire and a sticky tip hampered progress but progress was made.

a post 1.jpg
    a post 2.jpg
    a post 3.jpg
    a post 4.jpg
    a post 5.jpg

filler was rushed and a bit cack if i'm honest and the area was a pain to access with the wing in the way but its a start and i feel much happier for it.

Jon.

20. AndyB

AndyB Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Raleigh 14
    Looks spot on to me Johnny, nice job mate. Looking forward to more pics [​IMG]

21. Laser

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
    Spot on great repair . what are you putting behind this to preserve the rest of the pillar waxoyl ?

22. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Thanks for the words of encouragement chaps.

I tend to load every thing up with waxoil once repaired, the car was ziebarted from new and i think that is the only reason its still here to be honest, its great stuff. The a posts were mint when i bought the car a few years back and i waxed them at the time but i guess the rot was already under the surface.

Jon

23. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    On it again tonight and only more destruction this time but at least i'm getting an idea of the work ahead!

no 7.jpg no 8.jpg no 10.jpg no 11.jpg no 12.jpg no 13.jpg no 14.jpg no15.jpg

Inner sill and floor pan lips worse than i expected but fortunately the outer sill lip is very good.Outer sill, end floor pan and bulk head at the juntion behind the wing have generous rust and the part of the wing i removed is like paper in places.
    All in all i am pleasantly surprised that it isn't worse despite hoping for less.
    Discovered the usual splitting under the drivers seat mountings as well.
    A productive and enjoyable evnin playing like big kid with my toys :)

Jon

24. steveo

steveo Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    previously owned 14 !! 2.8 i capris ,
    looks good matey :thumbup1:

25. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection

Thanks steveo, i aint looking for encouragement but a few positive words sure helps spur me on.

Managed this tonight, doesn't look much but it took me flipping ages!
    The old one
    no17.jpg
    The new one
    no 16.jpg
    no18.jpg
    no 15.jpg

Took ages and theres lots of floor repairs as the old one was flat when removed, only staightened it to use as a patern. Good old jacking point or should i say outrigger.

Jon

26. Capri-Son

Capri-Son Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Concours 280
    Some good progress there Jon - keep going. :thumbup1:

27. CapriGear

CapriGear Capri Gear Trader

Drives:
    Ford Focus, BMW 540i
    That part you took ages making are readily available to buy.

28. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Yeah but an hour of my time when available is free and at the moment funds are tight! Also the hour spent making that outrigger taught me more about working with sheet steel and will hopefully make the next one easier to make. Thanks for the info though and keep it coming if you don't mind.

Jon

29. steveo

steveo Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    previously owned 14 !! 2.8 i capris ,
    clever bit of fabrication , nice job :thumbup1:

30. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Well missus went away with our twins for the first time ever this weekend, the house felt weird. So i got stuck in to some guilt free garage time. Hours spent forming, bending, welding and at times bleeding got me this so far.

no 19.jpg no 20.jpg no 21.jpg no 22.jpg no 23.jpg no 24.jpg no 25.jpg no 26.jpg no 27.jpg no 28.jpg no 29.jpg no 30.jpg no 31.jpg no 32.jpg no 33.jpg no 34.jpg

Bit picture heavy! be glad i didn't have the camera while doing the bulk of the work, these are mainly just before and after the weekend shots.

Jon

Attached Files:

31. AndyB

Drives:
    Raleigh 14
    Absolutely fantastic fabrication there Jon, looks really good mate. Also the outrigger is brill, especially the three little dinks in each big fold for good strength and just like the Ford original - how did you do that? Very impressive mate, keep posting the pics up [​IMG]

32. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Thanks very much mate :thumbup1:
    The dinks in the out rigger were made with a large blunt flat bladed screw driver, a vice and a hammer after the bend had been made. Just gave it the old tappa tappa until it looked like it should and then straitened up the edge in the vice again. easier than i thought it would be to be honest.

Cheers

Jon

33. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Bit more time spent in the garage over the last few weeks, not much but enough to have got through some more rust and had a fire on my head whilst welding. Micheal Jackson and i must use the same products.

You can see another foot long section of inner sill and floor pan that had to bet cut out and replaced just behind the new section let in for the seat mounting, the old second skin was then plug welded back on.
    seat mount.jpg seat mount 1.jpg
    Loads of new steel here and a tad more strength than when i started, the floor is even level like it should be for the first time in my ownership.
    floor pan.jpg floor.jpg inner sill.jpg
    Like making the pieces of you own jigsaw at this point, kept most of the shape of the bulk head flange but the outer sill end was kinda missing when i started and an awkward part to produce. So I am afraid to admit i took a near enough is good enough attitude at that point.
    pre spot.jpg yip.jpg yipp.jpg yipee.jpg

outer sill.jpg out sill.jpg

Forgot the camera a few times but thats probably just as well.

Jon

Attached Files:

34. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Bit more progress made the last few evenings.

Decided to weld this bit to the car first, then add the wing after in order to avoid putting welds where they could be seen but not ground back.

wing rep 1.jpg wing rep 2.jpg wing rep 2.5.jpg

Ended up replacing more of this section than i would have liked and lost the shape slightly, as a result when on the car the bottom of the wing sits slightly proud of the sill. It aint to bad realy just a bit dissapointing.

wing rep 3.jpg rep wing tack.jpg rep wing weld.jpg rep wing.jpg

Finally spladged the bottom of the wing back on and you can see where i cut the wing bellow the rub strip means minimum blending and you could actually get away with only grinding the very ends of the welds back as the rub strip covers the rest.

wing on tack.jpg wing on weld.jpg wing on inside.jpg wing on ground.jpg wing on strip.jpg

Well thats a small victory, much to do yet but i am happy to be putting parts on rather than grinding them off.

Jon

Attached Files:

35. Antony

Antony Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk3 Capri S, Vectra CDX, 1988 Panda 4x4
    Excellent work mate :) great pics too. Nice to see another one being saved from the brink :)

36. AndyB

Drives:
    Raleigh 14
    Hey Jon I think that's top class work there mate. I love the fabricated stuff, especially the attention to detail like the drain hole, nice. And welding looks great to me too. I'd be very happy with that mate [​IMG]

37. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    As always guys your words of encouragement are apreciated, thanks.

Jon

38. brooki28

brooki28 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri laser 2.8 injection
    keep up the good work mate

39. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Found time a bit short of late what with a week at the in laws and all the xmas build up, still this week ive found some hours in the garage.

After a few more holes found that were thought just to be surface rust, i started on the paint and after a couple of reactions and many layers, not mention to flatting back i have the base coat down.

At this point i've realised the picture options have changed and i may be a while before more pics are up!

40. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Found time a bit short of late what with a week at the in laws and all the xmas build up, still this week ive found some hours in the garage.

After a few more holes found that were thought just to be surface rust, i started on the paint and after a couple of reactions and many layers, not to mention flatting back i have the base coat down.

Wheel arch localised rust should not be to bad to repair.
    [​IMG]
    Hole in rear lower area obviously worse than i realised!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bit of new paint here and there but waiting for laquer. The line at which the colour change takes place is wrong but after much thought i came to the conclusion that only sad rivet couters would care!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And finally some little ford badges i intend to put in the recess on the sill step, no idea what they are from but they were in a coffee jar in a capri i broke years ago.
    [​IMG]

Enjoy.

Jon.

41. Capri-Son

Drives:
    Concours 280
    Jesus! I knew that there were sharks of the coast of Cornwall but didn't realise they came that far in!

Seriously though, well done - you've come along way with this at a decent rate - looks really smart. :thumbup1:

42. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Jesus! I knew that there were sharks of the coast of Cornwall but didn't realise they came that far in!

Seriously though, well done - you've come along way with this at a decent rate - looks really smart. :thumbup1:
    [/quote]

Thats what it must have been, parked just a little too close to the water when i went for a surf this summer!! GNARLY DUDE.

Jon.

43. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    A bottle of red down and some internet trawling and it would appear that i made an error with mt silver strip! I should have only covered the sill not the step and the a and b posts, the step and posts should be blue with only the wrap aroubd of the outer panels being silver.
    You are all too kind, you should have spoken up. I will see how i feel when sober but right now i am all for correcting this issue.

Jon.

44. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Well it only took a couple of hours and i think i will be glad i did it in the long run, heres what i did while the kids were asleep.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Neater than what i did before, well i think so anyway!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also stripped the slam panel down the other night and removed the head lights, bumper and any thing on the inner wings that was in the way. The intention is to give the under bonnet area a quick flash over, it aint in bad nick its just that theres some suface rust here and there that could be treated and iv'e always hankered for a cleaner look under the bonnet. Don't get me wrong i aint making a show car by any means, it just seems a shame not to do it while i'm there. Thing i didn't count on was how hard it would be to remove all the old wax and ziebart from the area, an evening in and there is only a mild sign of improvement.

Still waiting for the lower rear quarter i have ordered as there was confusion over which side i required, you gotta love the internet, you just can't beat talking to a real person.

Jon

45. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    No piccies yet but i have got the laquer on my sill and door shut now, Yippee. Just a few bits of cheeky fluff that need flatting out but looks ok!

I started to prep the drivers side door ready for refitting after some paint and things are worse than i thought. Around the top hinge there is some serious peppering, what strted as some innocent surface rust turned out to be only the top of the serious rust bellow! Not sure if i can save it yet, tomorrow night will tell, shame because there is only a little bit of rot in the very bottom of the door, which would be easy. Still the hinges seem real solid, so i may be able to work from that.

Jon

46. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    holes glorious holes and the makings of a repair.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jon

47. Capri-Son

Drives:
    Concours 280
    The paint does look better than the way you had it before but I must admit that I didn't realise it was wrong in the first place.

Nice to see even more progress on this. :thumbup1:

48. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Thanks for the input there mate, the jury is out on the paint! I don't know which way i prefer it but i do know that i aint changing it back. So i guess i better get used to it!

Jon

49. Capri-Son

Drives:
    Concours 280
    Definitely looks better the new, correct way. :thumbup1:

In the good Ford we trust...

50. capri280

capri280 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Wife MAD!!!!
    Fantastic work, keep it up look forward to seeing it all finsihed :thumbup1:

51. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Likewise bud, i am watching your 2.8 thread with much interest. You are certainly a braver man than i, having said that they are always worse than you think!

Jon

52. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Bit more done to the drivers door this week, i have added about a foot and a half along the bottom and finished the repairs around the top hinge. All it needs is filler now, a job i just don't like and am not really any good at.
    Piccies to follow.

Jon

53. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    A little update as progress has been made.

Drivers door is now welded and primed, took nearly two foot of fresh steel in the bottom and around the top hinge area was a twot!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

A couple of pic's of the step, a post and b post now in shiny finish and awaiting the door. The colour match although not perfect is not nearly as bad as the flash makes it appear, and being on an edge you don't see too much of a change.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And finally let a section in to the wheel arch, been putting this job off, not sure why as it went ok! Much better than my crazy peeling reactive paint on the door!!![​IMG][​IMG]

That's all for now folks.

Jon

54. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Hi chaps
    I have been progressing slowly with the old girl lately, what with house maintenance and garden remodelling but I have made progress all the same.

The drivers side is now all but done with the door in paint and fitted, no picture of this I'm afraid as the car is now over the other side of the garage so I can work on the wife's side!

The drivers side rear quarter prior to flatting back
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and how it looked before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The passenger rear quarter and rear valance after repair covered in kurust
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The horrors of digging at just one rusty bit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A couple of minor patches let in here
    [​IMG]
    Finally a wheel arch I rescued from a car i scrapped years back, that will be used as repair panels
    [​IMG]
    Just a teaser of the front panel with its base coat of silver
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking people.

Jon

55. Dixon

Dixon Registered Capri Power Member

some very very good work done here.. espeially the fabrication skills..

well done mate..

56. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Thanks mate, I even got some encouragement from the missus when she saw the pictures this evening!!

Got an insurance reminder through today, classic policy with 3000 mile limit, 150 notes including £25 of legal cover. She aint goin on the road but that is the cheapest insurance quote I have ever had on any car. I must be getting on a bit!!

Jon

57. capri280

Drives:
    Wife MAD!!!!
    Fantastic work again there, :headbang::
    coming along really well, look forward to seeing what you find on the other side :smokin:

58. ian2800

ian2800 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk2 3.0, Mk3 3.0S
    Excellent work, coming on nicely :thumbup1:

59. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Thanks for the comments guys, should be on the road for this time next year as long as funds can be sourced!!

Jon

60. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Got a rare couple of hours in the garage tonight and made progress on the passenger wheel arch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Picture tastic, just the way I like it. :lol:

61. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Hi chaps, been a while since I posted and even longer since I made any progress with the car!
    Whipped the fuel tank out tonight and was met by 20 litres of fuel (more than I expected) but that's ok because it's going in my mates mk2 scort. So at least its RWD.
    The tank aint looking good, there has been a pong of petrol for a while now and two steel pipe simply crumbled off and she's mighty thin in places, as a result I aint sure if I can save her!!

The good news is there is very minor corrosion on the wheel well with only a tiny section needing welding, there is plenty of surface rust to be sorted and some slightly more difficult area to repair where there is an overlap section. All in all not to bad on the car.

Will try to get more time in the garage soon and get some piccies. Next is the axle off for a rebuild and to free up some more space to work underneath.

Jonny

62. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Well the evenings have drawn in sufficiently to make putting the monkeys to bed followed by a surf impossible so I have found myself in the garage a few evenings of late.
    No pictures of the progress but I have accomplished some goals!

The leaky fuel tank leaks no more!, well subject to a garage floor check for seeping water tomorrow. I tried 3 times to replace the return line and finally on the third attempt I experienced success. I plumbed the wife's diesel focus exhaust in to the tank with some 2" hose and after 20 minutes purging I gingerly heated and blew the factory braze from the return pipe, no bang!!! The steel pipe was always to be replaced with copper as this is what I have available.
    Attempt 1 was braze which looked to be good but after many failed water tests and a whole rod of braze I decided a new tact was needed.
    Attempt 2 silver solder, I formed a washer from some sheet steel and punched a hole through the centre of 8mm and welded this to the tank to cover the original hole, which was a little to big for silver solder to gap fill. This worked a treat until I touched the pipe a little too long with the torch and burnt a hole in the thing. :wtf1:
    Attempt 3 as attempt 2 but a little more careful and successfully I hope :stunned:

The holes in the spare wheel well have new metal let in and my incredibly peppered and rusted panel where the boot meets back panel, along where the boot seal mounts has been painstakinly repaired. It just awaits some filler and paint.

Next on the list is where the boot floor overlaps the next panel over and behind the axle as its blowing apart and it wouldn't be right to leave it. Also for some reason where the boot sits covering the fuel filler pipe on the boot floor aint pretty either.

More reports and some pictures to follow, I'm back. :banana:

Jon.

63. capri280

Drives:
    Wife MAD!!!!
    good to see your getting stuck back into it.
    Look forward to seeing some more pics

64. Antony

Antony Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk3 Capri S, Vectra CDX, 1988 Panda 4x4
    Just re visited this thread. Brilliant pic's and excellent work. More please :)

65. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Well as promised here are some pictures of the latest progress, not my usual step by step affair you'll be pleased to hear as we only just found the camera after a couple months of absence!!!!
    Needless to say some welding and steel replacement was required here and there!
    A few piccies now the paint is on, it's waiting for a flat and a polish but i am happy enough with the results from the tight dark end of the garage.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The fuel tank has been bare metalled, rust treated, had silver solder, weld and epoxy steel repairs, painted with zinc primer then glossy black and heavily waxed on top, all clips pies and hoses have been replaced. The pump carier has been sand blasted, repaired and given the same paint treatment. Not concourse but should out last me!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

More to follow as I chop the passenger side floor pan and inner sill up, followed by the dreaded scuttle rot :DeadHorse: First will be schultzing the underside at the back and refitting the fuel tank with some stainless straps so I can move on to the next scary task.

Jon.

66. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    A couple of shots of the rear valance and spare wheel well after repairs and a lot of rust killing and some paint, all ready for waxoil under seal.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

That's all for now.

Jon.

67. deanozoff

deanozoff Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri 2.8i,Mazda Rx8
    Im playing catch up on this thread :stunned:

I can what you mean when you said you were busy. Excellent fabrication work there. I have a little scab on the o/side lower rear quarter. Im scared of prodding it now ive read this! :tongue (2):

Paint looks brill, you got a air gun/compressor or managed that with an aerosol :snack:

68. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Thanks for yer comments mate, much appreciated. Hoping for a spray gun from father Christmas this year because what I have done so far has been with aerosol and its costing a fortune, from primer to lacquer that back panel and one lower corner must have cost me 25 to 30 quid!!! :stunned: Only trouble is I aint got a clue how to use one, so could get even more costly. I do however have a couple of litres of blue base and thinners from some work I had done a few years back, what I was thinking is that I may give it a go under the bonnet when I have the engine out, won't matter so much there if things go ugly.

Must admit I was shocked when I poked about on the drivers side lower quarter. I took the grinder to the paint and the garage filled with filler dust :banana:
    Say hello to Mickey from me.

Jon.

69. deanozoff

Drives:
    capri 2.8i,Mazda Rx8
    Yeah your right, the cost of aerosol paint is horrendous if bought in quantities. I bought some from 'Arkwrights' corner shop (he looks and acts like Granville too) Cost me £6 for 2 cans in anticipation of re painting the lower rear panel which was cheaper than halfords though probably been on the shelf for 20 years!
    A mate has sprayed a Pug 205 GTi shell recently with old style cellulose paint n cost only £70,. You just spray on plenty of layers and flat it back. It looked good too
    I want a compressor for my garage,n mig welder. Had both previously but sold em on. Ask Santa for 2
    Thanks, but thankfully no Mickey this time. Some cracking classic cars about here though. Nice ladies too. :rock: I managed to get to a cruise too. Il post some video pics if I work how to :duh:
    Cracking job

All this talking has dried me up, Need a beer :lol:

70. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Got the back end over the fuel tank covered in that horrible wax under seal that will not come off your face unless you use a scrubbing brush :DeadHorse: The fuel tank is on and so is the fuel pressure accumulator, sadly in the wrong order. You live and learn but for reference put the accumulator on before the tank!!
    stainless tank straps with new bolts [​IMG]
    Stainless bracket holding accumulator [​IMG]
    Refurbished pump bracket with stainless allen head screws [​IMG]
    The view from behind :rolleyes: [​IMG]
    New return line and sender unit [​IMG]

Sorry loadsa picture of not a lot as usual but its all good for my records.
    This week is when I kick my own arse in to action, gonna whip the passenger door off, screen out (scary stuff) and attack that scuttle, which needless to say aint pretty. Both skins are gone on the wifes side and its been leaking in to the foot well for years, hence the rotten floor and sill end.

If memory serves there are drain holes from the screen rubber through and under the scuttle at the corners, what are your views on simply doing away with these drain holes when the area is repaired? As always your opinions are appreciated.

Jon

71. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Hi chaps.

Got the back end flatted cut and polished the other night, chucked the lights back in and decided it was time to get on with the bloody job. So this evening I have removed the passenger door, seat and carpet but most impressive of all is that after half an hour of sweating and finger nail bending the screen and rubber are out and unbroken, yyyyyyyyyyyyyyiiiiiiiiiiiiiiippppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. :banana: :banana:

Here is the damage so far.
    The view from above,
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    the view from below,
    [​IMG]
    and step back to see another step backwards, it doesn't even look car like now!
    [​IMG]

Damage to the scuttle would appear to be superficial but so did the sill ends!
    Cheers gents.

Jon.

72. chris249

chris249 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1.6 LS, 1.6 Laser, 2.8
    Great thread, you've really got stuck in there! One day i'll have to attempt this with mine [​IMG] excellent fabrication skills too! [​IMG]

73. Laser

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
    No messing with this Guy !
    Really getting stuck in, great picture story of the usual capri rust areas but never the less a very useful wake up call to those little blisters and what lies beneath ..

once you have nailed this lot your on the home straight !
    thanks for sharing the progress
    im off to poke my rear chassis legs soon with a screwdriver :boxedin:
    on the other hand ..........

74. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Your so right about those little innocent blisters mate, just the tip of the brown crumbly ice berg! By the way absolutely loving the latest details of carla's repairs and paint.

Thanks for your comments guys, they do help to keep me plodding on.

Jon

75. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Not my finest work but but with a skim of filler it will look ok.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Ready for filler tomorrow night.
    Jon

76. capri280

Drives:
    Wife MAD!!!!
    Doing a great job again, Those areas around the screen are a pain to fix. at this rate it won't belong before your back on the road :headbang::
    Well done :rock:

77. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection

Thanks mate, how is the progress going on yours, I am very interested in how the rear end goes in?

A couple more evenings and the scuttle is filled and in primer.
    [​IMG]

More holes! Passenger side sill has two fairly large sections of inner sill and floor to replace,
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    the usual fat bugger split seat mount
    [​IMG]
    and the not so usual transmission tunnel rot around the prop centre bearing!!
    [​IMG]

Cheers gents.

Jon.

78. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    A few more holes filled.

Both of the rear seat mounts have been renewed and a couple sections of the floor to inner sill have seen some attention. The tunnel repair is an embarrassment but at least a strong one, my welder had words with me after that effort!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Loadsa pictures, sorry.
    Jon.

79. capri280

Drives:
    Wife MAD!!!!
    coming along nicely :thumbup1:

80. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Thanks mate slow but steady. :rolleyes:

Jon

81. deanozoff

Drives:
    capri 2.8i,Mazda Rx8
    all very time consuming matey,looking great .hope you got a heater in there with you. this reminds me need to crack on with mine. by the way throttle body still go on

82. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Thanks mate.
    Down here luckily it aint that cold, besides I am one of these freaks that is always too hot, so it suits me just fine. Still very interested in that throttle body mod, so keep me up to speed mate.

Cheers.

Jon.

83. Liverpool-Lad

Liverpool-Lad Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    208bhp 2.8i Turbo
    Nice work, wish I had the time/space/knowledge to carry out my own repairs. Id recommend if its not on your list to spray some cavity wax up into the a pillar too where the repair is and any other areas you can find/fit the wand in.

84. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Thanks mate, appreciated and be assured my cavities are well and truly waxed :banana: ;)

Jon.

85. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Well not done much lately but I have managed to complete a bit.

Rebuilt the end of the sill and also got more involved than I would have liked in the n/s spring box, I ended up 3 layers deep!!

Pictures look pap because I have put rust killer over all the bare metal.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    A skim of filler here and there and it will be ready for paint, which I may or may not be trying with a spray gun!

Bit dull I know but it's an update none the less.

Jon.

86. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Well I have been out in the garage a little of late. Pictures will follow but currently I have the filler work all complete on the sill and the rear arch repair, primed up and silver base on. The blue and lacquer are yet to follow with my new spray gun from Father Christmas!!! I have the blue from years ago but I am yet to procure the clear coat, I will be practising on the passenger door shuts before I move on to doing the the whole rear quarter up to the swage line. Scary shizzle!!

I am currently revisiting the bottom of the passenger wing, it is fair to say that my skills have improved as I have been doing this project but there is quite a bit of work needed to get the panel straight. When I removed that section I had real issues with it sticking to the factory sealer behind and as a result I ended up with some alignment issues where it got bent. So my favourite job fillering :DeadHorse: is under way there.

Jon.

87. deanozoff

Drives:
    capri 2.8i,Mazda Rx8
    Glad you got what you wanted from The big man for crimbo mate. Was the right model/spec of spray gun too??

The deeper ya delve the more you find, bit like routing in the attic, mine anyway
    Looking good, if the otherside of the car was anything to go by that you finished with an aersol, then it'll be good.

Ive not kickstarted with the jobs on mine as yet, but will post up pics of throttlebody soon to go on

88. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Hiya buds.
    The big beardy guy was very kind this year, got the gun I wanted and a few other things as well, I hope he was generous with your blue oval gift list?
    looking forward to hearing about the TB and seeing some pics your motor.
    A few pics of my shed, a bit dusty but no clear coat yet, so there aint much to shine about.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Delighted with the way the arch repair at this end turned out, I was lucky enough to have an arch I rescued from a car I killed off a few years back, so no issues with poor alignment. Hats off to you guys who have done complete arches, the paint prep must be hideous.
    [​IMG]
    More filler here than I would normally like but sometimes needs must.
    [​IMG]

A the best guys.

Jon.

89. capri280

Drives:
    Wife MAD!!!!
    Jon once again some bloody nice work there. and clean that floor! i saw some dust on it. :stunned:

90. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Thanks matey. Dust on the floor is the least of my mess problems! I keep my surf boards in the garage and made the kids car seats filthy as I put the boards the other morning, dusted them off the best I could but she will go spare if she finds out :banana:. I guarantee that if it gets on them it will be all over a party dress 10 minutes short of the party :rolleyes:. Still I wanted to keep them in the house, can't blame me.

Jon

91. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Tidily bit done to the passenger door.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Back to my old ways, it is like a flip book!
    Some minor scabs that all needed a little mig to sort em out where a scratch had been allowed to grow.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

All very boring but necessary!

Jon.

92. oldschoolfords

oldschoolfords Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    3.0 capri Ghia, Escort Mk1, Capri GT4, Volvo V70tdi
    looking good matey! keep up the good work!

ALSO!! noticed you apologied for the amount of pictures! thats never needed!! :D

93. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Thanks mate

jon

94. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Shamelessly lifted word for word from another post but an update none the less :tongue (2):

Hehe it sounds tough having to be patient at certain times. I imagine if I was starting I'd want to get a whole panel done in one go, or the car done in one 'sitting' but seems better to keep that patience and do it gradually, properly... Is it much work to rub down the heavy spots? I imagine you have to wait a certain amount of time first, then remove the dust created afterwards too

All the rubbing down was done at the primer stage, so I am starting with a 600 wet and dry level of smoothness ;) I never realised having always used aerosols how thin the paint actually is and it goes on so smooth when the gun is set right that I wont be needing any flatting back this time, I think if I did, it would mess up the metallics and show through the clear coat. Takes about 20 minutes to dry between coats and I am delighted with how little the paint gets waisted in the air after my mate telling me how bad his suction gun is for over spray. So over spray/dust is pretty minimal. The paint gets thinned 50:50 with thinners and I used 10ml of paint, so 200ml total, a fair bit of which was wasted trying to set up the gun.

Here are the finished base coat results.
    End of door from last night
    [​IMG]

Door shuts
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the run!!!!
    [​IMG]

The budget gun concerned
    [​IMG]

Gonna totally do the back panel up to the swage line, so I aint to upset it went wrong, Also I got a bit keen on the scuttle trying to use up the last of the paint and got another run and some impressive orange peel :nono:

Cheers for sharing this monumental moment guys.

Jon.

95. chriscapriman

chriscapriman Registered Capri Power Member

somewhere where i dont know where i am, near liver
    Drives:
    '71 Capri 2.0XL & '86 Capri 2.0 stupidlaserturbo & '93 Granada Scorpio Estate 2.0 & '12 Focus wagon oil burner
    no pics there mate, something has gone wrong, waiting with baited breath :boxedin:

edit, there they are :D looks greath that :thumbup1: must be very satisfying doing it all yourself, i have zero patience and even less skill so have to pay someone for this side of capri resto :boxedin:

96. MK2Boyd

MK2Boyd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK2/3 Hybrid - Night Fury Rides: Yamaha Bulldog BT1100
    Nice work there,

Insperational...

97. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate encouragement from people responsible for such inspirational builds. She is finally starting to move back towards being a car once more!

Jon.

98. Vernon240

Vernon240 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    RS3100 Mk 2 347 V8
    Really good work going on here. I think looking at everyones build gives people the incentive to take the quality up a notch or two in their own builds and not want to settle for less. Excellent progress here! :thumbup1:

99. 2.8jonny

Drives:
    1983 2.8 injection
    So true mate, so many people on here set the bar so high with the quality of the work they produce that you can't help but try to keep up as best you can.

It frequently amazes me the information available to us on here and the willingness of people to take there time with frequently repeated questions and also some very in depth and technical issues that take some serious understanding and even more explaining. Also the time people put in to recording and sharing their own builds and experiences in members cars. This is quite a personal thing and I for one consider it sharing my personal interests with if not friends in every case people who at least have an appreciation and love of something I enjoy.
    As a resource this forum is often undervalued but personally I think this is only by the minority. I think that most people who use this forum like me appreciate it and in my case without it I feel that I may well have lost interest a long time ago in my own project and if not that then I would have come unstuck on some tech info or data.

Change is always a difficult thing to understand and I stand with the majority in not liking it but more often than not once change has been implemented you would have even more trouble convincing people to go back to the way things were, it is human nature! Hey we all drive these ageing door ways to the past because lets face it, we think things were better then but go back there and you would soon miss the comforts and technology we now enjoy.
    Sometimes if change is inevitable and you are unable to embrace it, tolerance is the best approach until inevitably you soften to the new status quo and actually like it!!
    Not all people are in a position to contribute to the forum but that does not make their needs any less worthy, in fact we all started there at some point in the past!

Tipsy minor rant in the wrong place, so apologies. If moderators wish to remove it I welcome the decision.

Thanks for the forum and the resources it offers. I for one would miss it if it were no longer available.

Jon

100. Laser Capri

Laser Capri Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.0 Laser and 3.0s
    This is a great project, really good work and progress. A lesson to everyone on how minor rust can hide something much more serious.

My favourite thing on this car is actually what we have seen the least of so far, that is the engine. I seem to remember this has a really impressive 2.8 in it which you have put a lot of effort to tune. Also love a two tone 2.8 in these colours!!

Hopefully once the rust is done we will be able to see more of that engine. Keep it up, great work so far!!