My Mk1 3000Gt

Discussion in 'Members Capris' started by anturvey, 13 November 2016.

1. anturvey

anturvey Registered Capri Power Member

Hi

Thought it was time to post some pictures of my car that I have owned for the last 6 months or so. It's a mk1 3000GT 4 speed assembled 12/73. It has the "R" Rallye Pack option. The "Tawny K" paint is mostly original (apart from the black bits at the back which are etch primer). The vinyl roof has been removed, no rust underneath but will get cleaned up and painted before a new vinyl roof is fitted. At the moment I'm mainly concentrating on the brakes/suspension/steering - as the car has been off the road since 1991 a few things need renewing.

The panel underneath the rear scuttle and the parcel tray have both been replaced (work started by the previous owner) - apparently the parcel tray had speaker holes in it that appeared to have been hacked in with a machete so the previous owner decided to replace it. And although the scuttle was not rusty, the underlying panel was Swiss cheese.

Apart from that rust, a small 20p sized hole in the O/S outer sill, and a small section at the bottom of the L/F windscreen post (repaired by previous owner but not finished), the rest of the body is sound - just surface rust. Unbelievable for a 42 year old Ford (I worked as a Ford apprentice in the early 80s and mk1 Capris were rusty then!) Even the windows still wind up and down [​IMG]

Allegedly the car has only 56,000 miles on the clock which appears to be genuine judging by the state of the upholstery (pictures of that to come later, currently the seats etc. are stored away from the dust & dirt).

So far I have replaced or am about to replace/overhaul the following:

Done/Doing:
    brake lines & hoses
    TCAs
    tierod ends
    all suspension bushes (replaced with Superflex)
    clutch, accelerator, speedo, handbrake cables
    brake pads (replaced with Mintex 1144)
    steering rack internal bush
    brake discs ground (still the original 3.0 discs)
    rear brake shoes relined, drums ground, shoes profiled to drums
    calipers stripped & overhauled, new pistons and seals
    replaced the single port M/C with a 3-port mk3 M/C for a little safety (and easier to get bits for)
    rear shocks
    ARBS - replaced with 24mm and 14mm
    ignition leads (replaced with Magnicor 8.5mm leads)
    Camshaft gear (alloy)
    all cooling hoses replaced
    waterpump, thermostat replaced
    driveshaft center bearing and rubber bush
    gearbox rear oil seal
    reverse light switch
    diff inspection plate gasket
    front wheel bearings
    clutch pedal bushes
    headers (collector of the near-side factory header was rusted out)
    wheels & tyres (superlite 13x6 with 6p offset, Nankang 185/70/13 cx668 tyres (old school [​IMG])

Still to do:
    unleaded heads
    carb overhaul
    strut top mounts (rubber is perished)
    front strut inserts
    diff pinion seal
    bootlid patching - lower edge has been nibbled a bit by ferrous oxide and one horizontal patch looks like somebody took to it with an axe (the gash was buried under 1/4" of filler over a 6" square area)
    roof sanding/painting (inside & out)
    refit interior
    fix accelerator pedal bracket (bolts broke removing it)
    fit GXL quad headlights (already have these)

Should be a good car when I get it back on the road, eventually I'll get a full respray done if I keep it long enough. Was worried that the car had been damaged earlier today as it's sitting 2 feet off the ground on axle stands and we had a very large earthquake just after midnight (underwear change required) - I was worried that the car had fallen off the stands - luckily the banging and crashing noises were made by other things having fallen over.

Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MarkW

MarkW Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 3.0S Janspeed Turbo, Green '81', Ford Mondeo Graphite 'Daily'.
    Looking forward to seeing this, not sure what you are doing to not save them so not much help I know. 3000GT XLR must be a very rare machine now. Great find and good luck with the resto

3. anturvey

Thanks. Have tried several times to save the photos, they always appear in the post when it's in edit mode but disappear once I click save. Getting a little peeved trying... NB: my car is a 3000GT "R", no XL included - think that was pre-facelift only?

OK, think I have the photos sorted now, fingers crossed.

4. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    been seeing the quake in the news, must have been scary!!!, glad you car and you are ok, looks a really nice project
    good luck with the rest of the resto[​IMG]

5. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    Hmm, when you list all the things done and to do like that, it could almost seem like a lot of work, rather than the pleasant toying we imagine it to be.
    Both you and the car will end up better for it, a win/win, I think it's called. Glad no quake damage interrupted your project. It looks like a good one to work with.

6. anturvey

Thanks, quake was scary but not the end of the world. The civil defence sirens blaring for 30-40 minutes at a bit after 2am was scarier (thought I was watching a Blitz documentary). At least with the earthquake you know what is happening. Seems we must have pissed off mother nature as tonight where I am (Wellington) we are having (more) heavy rainfall and 140kmh galeforce winds are predicted. Wonder what we did wrong! And as I write this we have just had a 5.1 aftershock. Must be due for famine and plague shortly...

Restoration should be simple enough, mainly requires time and money in equal measure.

7. anturvey

Is a great project I think, even the metallic poo-brown paint is growing on me. Is a long list of things to do or already done, but most of it is just deferred maintenance as I like to call it. The price (as opposed to value) of these cars is starting to get stupid, think we are following the UK trend. I know people who used to strip a few bits off good cars in the 90s and then dump the rest - nobody wanted them. Times have changed.

Most of the mechanicals are easy enough, biggest problem I had was getting the motor to run cool - after removing the old waterpump, flushing and reverse flushing every water-way until clear water ran out I thought I had it sorted. Fitted new hoses, thermostat, waterpump etc, filled up the radiator with lots of green gunk and warmed it up - took ages for the engine to heat up and then it promptly did a Krakatoa impression and dumped the cooling system contents all over the engine, me and my driveway - was not impressed [​IMG] After some googling I discovered that there was a drain plug on the passengers side of the engine block, removed that and nothing happened - had repressurised the system at that stage and expected something to come out - poked a screwdriver in the hole and it was like a damn bursting, thick muddy rusty gunk poured out. Took me another 3 hours to flush all the crap out but now the engine temp is normal and nothing leaks anywhere so got away with it (I hope). Seems these Essex engines are known to silt-up and overheat.

Also dropped the car back down onto its wheels today, largish aftershocks are predicted for a while (possibly months) and I don't want to run the risk of the car falling off the axle stands. [​IMG]

8. anturvey

It's been a while so I thought I'd post a few updated pictures. A friend and I have just fitted a new vinyl roof (supplied by Aldridge Trim), was a bit nerve wracking initially but turned out OK. The local upholsterers wanted vast sums of cash to do the job, but having Scottish ancestry I said bugger that I'll do it myself. I'm pleased with the results [​IMG]

The paint work has been tarted-up here and there and polished to within an inch of its life - will require a full repaint one day but will be tidy enough for now (almost zero rust found thankfully, nothing that needed major repairs and zero structural - yay!)

Just in the process of refitting boxes of bits at the moment, and doing things like getting the windows to wind up and down easily (I put new windows channel rubbers in so a bit stiff initially but a little silicon spray sorted that). Got the door/boot/ignition/glovebox locks sorted so they all work and using only 1 key. Replaced the nylon cam gear with an aluminium gear (see one of my other posts for that mini saga). And I got hold of 2 sets of RS/GXL quad light surrounds & bezels and made up 1 good set - these are better looking than the original lights in my opinion. Now also fitted with a new set of Cibie H1 and H4 lights, just waiting for a friend to wire them and modify the headlight relay (luckily for me he's an Auto Electrician).

Have also had the heater re-cored, and had the engine radiator pressure checked & repaired. Currently have the carb. in pieces, check out the last photo of the sludge I found in the bowl - looks like 45 years of accumulated crap.[​IMG] Think I'll fit an inline filter...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. mick

mick Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri 2.8i
    The cars looking very nice, you must be pleased with it, I agree with you on the headlights I personally like the round ones in the Mk1.
    hope the carb job goes ok.

10. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    That roof looks as good as the carb looks bad. Inline filter a good idea, the paper type - They sell cheap here so I change them often. Great progress, a pleasure to see. :thumbup1:

11. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    Nice trick with the H1 inners and H4 outers .. be very aware that if your car was originally fitted with the standard square H4 lamps - you do need to make a small 1 wire mod inside it..
    this will allow you to power the lamps as per the GXL/RS system with quad H1s.. in that dip will come on, then main will come on without cutting dip - dip/main changeover ..
    to complete the conversion to power up your new lights without overloading the loom, or the existing HL relay you will need to fit 1 small relay in each headlamp bowl, to switch the dip power (yellow) from the low to high beam element in the H4 ..

1/ standard Mk1 relay layout - pins and wiring
    Headlamp relay Capri 1 facelift pins.JPG

2/ GXL/RS Mk1 relay layout - pins and wiring, note the separate earth on the dip coil
    Headlamp relay Capri 1 facelift quad.JPG

under the relay looks like
    Headlamp relay Capri I & II early 1.JPG

3/ behind the headlamps - H1/H4 conversion relay set - 1 each side
    HL H4 single conversion.JPG

above drawing I use with a connector block, and make the whole adaptor loom & relay separate ..
    but you could do it with H4 plug-ins
    HL H4 single conversion plug-in.jpg

hope that is of use to you & your friendly electrician ..

printer friendly download -

Attached Files:

12. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Vintage Clocks! :thumbup1:/>

Alan, just for fun, when you get to wiring Rumbly, will you ask us all for advice? :headbang::/> We could at least pretend to return the favours of all the wizardry you've offered on here. :thumbup1:/> :thumbup1:/>

13. anturvey

Thanks for the very useful information, much appreciated. Your diagrams and instructions will defiantly be used, I'll forward them to my electrician to digest [​IMG]

In terms of "1 small relay in each headlamp bowl" do you have any recommendations as to which brand/model of relay to use? And do you think I'll need to upgrade my alternator - currently I have the original factory alternator fitted, but as the bearings are stuffed and it needs to be reconditioned maybe I should just put on a new heavy duty alternator?

14. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    I just use a standard 5 pin auto relay - the contacts only have to deal with a max 60W, so any standard relay from a decent manufacturer, Bosch, Hella, for instance would do, these invariably tend to be listed as 12V30A, or 12V40A .. so way adequate ..
    I use a standard Durite relay over here - part no 0-728-12 .. and also use a rather neat mounting block by the same company -
    all the wires get fixed to terminals that then lock into the plastic block which can be fixed to the rear of the headlamp bowl - part no 0-729-00 ..

as for alternator upgrades, you don't need to go silly, a good ACR type to retain your plugged wiring is good .. check loacal suppliers for the likes of van or auto-trans cars ..
    at worst for me I would consider a 28i alternator, or a Sierra/Granada/Scorpio version - some can have a standard 70-90Amp handling capacity ..
    just remember that alternators work to the batteries requirement, they do not 'pump-in' extra power .. they react to the cars system ..
    also bear in mind that if your wiring is in good standard condition - the main electrical loom connector on the battery has got a small length of rubberised brow/black wire this is a fuse link, apparently rated at 80 AMP - so there really is no point going ballistic with the alternator ..

15. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    Thanks Gary ..
    much appreciated, its so frustrating not getting on with my own, so its nice trying to place my head in the midst of what I think other peeps Capris need to be finished.

as long as I can see, and then solve, a problem it keeps my brain active and my fingers mobile ..
    Grabbing spanners and exerting physical force may be difficult, but at least I can still pound a keyboard !!

always willing to help if I can .. and don't worry, I reckon I will have questions when the rebuild gets under way again ..