My Mk1 Capri

Discussion in 'Members Capris' started by Kev Ush, 26 March 2015.

1. Kev Ush

Kev Ush Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk1 Capri
    Hi folks,

I thought I better post up some pictures of my french spec Mk1 Capri 1300 XL (pinto engine) I bought last year. When I got her she was completely standard and the story goes that it was bought new by a doctor in 1972 who then passed away in 1976...it was then laid up unti 2008 when the guy I bought it from found it and put it back on the road. When I got her she had only covered 60000km and has never been welded. The paint is all original except for one of the front wings that's been painted at some point.

My original plan was to find a capri and drop in my cosworth V6 engine that I have sitting in my garage. But since finding this capri I've changed my plans and decided to keep it simple and just drop in a 2L pinto and lower it on a nice set of wheels. So far I've managed to source a 2L injection engine which I'll convert to run on a dgav carb and I've fitted some 2" lowering springs on the front with 1" lowering blocks on the back just to get an idea of the ride height so I can sort out the wheels for it. Due to a house move and a baby on the way things haven't moved along quite how I wanted but it still keeps me busy enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These photos were taken a couple of days after buying it.

2. jebspencer1980

jebspencer1980 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Thats a nice looking motor mate, looks to be in good condition :thumbup1:

3. grifterkid

grifterkid Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    An imaginary 3-litre S...!
    That looks lovely...! Well done for finding it...

4. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
  5. chriscapriman

chriscapriman Registered Capri Power Member

somewhere where i dont know where i am, near liver
    Drives:
    '71 Capri 2.0XL & '86 Capri 2.0 stupidlaserturbo & '93 Granada Scorpio Estate 2.0 & '12 Focus wagon oil burner
    Very nice, makes sense to put a 2.0 in, may want a different geared diff in, I found the 4.1:1 in my 1300 mk1 far to low geared even with a 5 speed, swapped to a 3.89:1 and is much better suited to the torque and power of the 2.0 ;)/>

6. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    Looks like a lucky find, low mileage and very nice condition (Something seductive about those bumpers). You're right, I can't see enough of the wheel in that pic to talk bad about it... :D You done good!...

7. Kev Ush

Drives:
    Mk1 Capri
    Yeah I still have to find out what gearing it has inside the diff. Strangely it has an atlas axle on in?? I thought they only on 3L capris.

I'm still trying figure out what I'm going do with the styling...I can't decide if I'm going for a street sleeper look and fit some widened lotus steels (13x6 on the front and 13x7 on the back) or go for some RS 4 spokes.

[​IMG]

That was me trying on the steel wheels on the back...not the greatest picture...what do you think??

Cheers,

Kev

8. chriscapriman

chriscapriman Registered Capri Power Member

somewhere where i dont know where i am, near liver
    Drives:
    '71 Capri 2.0XL & '86 Capri 2.0 stupidlaserturbo & '93 Granada Scorpio Estate 2.0 & '12 Focus wagon oil burner
    Wide steels all the way ;)

9. Antony

Antony Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk3 Capri S, Vectra CDX, 1988 Panda 4x4
    Nice looking Mk1. My first capri (a Mk1) was a similar colour to that but metallic. Tawny I think it was called :)

10. mick

mick Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri 2.8i
    Very nice straight car, what a lovely find. yeh to the steel wheels :thumbup1:

11. Kev Ush

Drives:
    Mk1 Capri
    I ended up ditching the Lotus steels idea...if I go with wide steels I'd prefer to get the standard wheels banded. Ended up just putting on a set of 15x6 wheels for now. Still have to play with the ride height a bit as I think the rear is a 1/2" to low. Also had to run spacers on the rear as I found the wheels were to set in the way compared to the front but I might swap the rears for 7" wide wheels in the future as I'm really not a fan of spacers. Might also try some RS4 spokes on it too.

[​IMG]

12. Craigorypeck

Craigorypeck Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Twincharged mk1
    I Like the 15s, i intend on the same............. eventually

what ET are you running? are they compomotives?

Love this car!

13. Kev Ush

Drives:
    Mk1 Capri
    No they are just cheapo wheels from midland wheels

http://www.midlandwheels.com/Shop/P-2993-6-x-15-JBW-Minilight-Silver---4x108.html

With 195/45 tyres...although I wish I had got 195/50 tyres now.

The rear has got 16mm spacers on it with longer studs.

14. 302Capri

302Capri Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '79 Mk3 BOA, '69 Mk1 GT V8
    Great looking Mk1. I don't think the rear is too low in that picture, looks perfect to me.

Steve

15. Craigorypeck

Drives:
    Twincharged mk1

agreed, looks good to me too!

those midland wheels have a positive offset too, 0 or even negative (-7) would give you more of a dish and no wheel spacers

16. Stuinboro

Stuinboro Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri
    Have the midland copy 13x7 4 spokes on and I don't think they look too bad.
    Like you though I'm saving the pennies to get the rostyles banded and polished!

The 15's look awesome though, lovely looking car :thumbup1:/>/>

[​IMG]

17. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    just spotted this thread, sorry I have missed it ... Lovely Mk1 in a great colour ...
    I had a facelift Mk1 with a Salisbury axle - was a 1600L pinto - ratio was 3.777:1 ... standard fit

18. Kev Ush

Drives:
    Mk1 Capri
    Got my twin headlights and quarter bumpers fitted last night for a car show today

[​IMG]

Just got to get them wired up now

19. resto2.8i

resto2.8i Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Silver Porsche 996 Carrera 4S, black 2.8i and a mk1 3000gt xlr v8 cologne arched project
    Very nice gxl look, scott

20. Craigorypeck

Drives:
    Twincharged mk1
    things got way better very quick there, are those quarter bumpers bashed up in vietnam by any chance? how did they fit?

21. Kev Ush

Drives:
    Mk1 Capri
    Lol, not sure where they were made. They were from eBay so every chance of it.

They seem to fit ok...went onto the original brackets ok and the indicators screwed in fine.

The only thing is each quarter bumper has 3 bolt holes in it...They only need 2 bolt holes to bolt onto the original bumper mounts though

22. Craigorypeck

Drives:
    Twincharged mk1
    harrington group? if so a UK middleman with a factory in Vietnam. I bought the same bumpers but a long way off fitting, but they actually look really good. Not chrome but polished stainless steel.

I intend on replacing the massive US style bumpers on my mk1. Theres 3 holes, 2 on front and one on the side, middle one not used? any mounting bracket pics?

23. rscapriman

rscapriman Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    RS Capri's + Mondeo
    Hi guys, if these bumpers are the RS type the middle hole is where the spot lamp bracket fixes it then drops down with 2 fixings through front panel into a plate behind with tapped holes.
    Without these brackets the bumpers had a tendency to droop on the corners.
    RScapriman

24. Kev Ush

Drives:
    Mk1 Capri
    No I bought these of a German seller: enekinneo...but they probably are the same ones...these are stainless steel. For sure they are not perfect but they are better than the last set of original RS bumpers I found that were rusted and dented...and the guy still wanted 100€ for them.

Thanks for that bit of info. Are the bumpers still likely to drop on the corners without spot lamps fitted?

25. Craigorypeck

Drives:
    Twincharged mk1
    So thats what those brackets are for! I have looked at those and couldn't figure out where they were supposed to go.

Does the bracket go through the lower valance and hide behind it? Its got that tab thats bent forward at the bottom with another hole, is that supposed to come out below the valance to mount the rs style front chin spoiler on to?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did you get these with your bumpers Kev? Sorry for messing up your thread here.

26. Kev Ush

Drives:
    Mk1 Capri
    Mine look exactly the same as that...painted black on the inside etc.

Mine never came with the spot light brackets though...and I'm not going to look for a set of them either.

Don't worry about it...that's what forums are for :)

27. rscapriman

rscapriman Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    RS Capri's + Mondeo
    The bracket bolts through the front balance via the 2 holes on the curved part of the bracket, if you look at any Mk1 balance there are 4 indents in a diamond pattern the 2 vertical marks will line up with these brackets(the 2 horizontal for lamp brackets on regular spotlamp brackets ie the press steel on non RS models).
    The spacer goes between the top of the bracket and the front balance any again bolts through the valance(only on RS2600 not RS3100), very top hole into bumper leaving a slot at the bottom for lamp.
    On the inside of the balance there is a pressed steel shaped plate with 2 tapped holes to accommodate the 2 small vertical fixings.
    I have left these off my first RS3100 and found the bumpers to droop but have to admit they are not the nicest looking things when fitted.
    RScapriman

28. shauniboy1984

shauniboy1984 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Ford Capri mk2 2.0 GL
    That is a proper cool car. Love the colour

29. daveman918

daveman918 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1974 mk1 project
    Hey All. I have a set of these all mounted up except for I'm trying to figure out what you do with the outer most bolt on the front side of the car. Is there a bracket? There's that little dimple on the body and before I start drilling and making a standoff or something I was wonder how they originally mounted.

Thanks!

Dave