My Restoration.

Discussion in 'Members Capris' started by boddney, 21 October 2013.

1. Hancockshire

Hancockshire Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1988 Fiesta Pop Plus 'Fifi'
    Your Capri makes me want one even more to have a go at Capri ownership. Keep up the good work man, you're doing great

2. boddney

boddney Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Or rather restoring a 1977 Capri Mk2 1600 GL in Green. Restored 1987 Toyota MR2 Mk1. '04 Toyota Corolla & '13 Rav4 Invincible
    Thanks Hancock :thumbup1:

Got on with seam welding the underside and protected both sides with under-seal only to realize that I haven't welded the jacking point/floor strengthener. Oh well, I'll get round to it another day. Still, that's another bit finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. boddney

Drives:
    Or rather restoring a 1977 Capri Mk2 1600 GL in Green. Restored 1987 Toyota MR2 Mk1. '04 Toyota Corolla & '13 Rav4 Invincible
    So I thought I'd do my neighbors a favor and sort out the exhaust pipe. I bought a half system from a guy near me a few months back for £20 but it came off a 3.0ltr Mk3 but I knew I could get the back box to fit as that was the bit that I needed. Anyway in the mean time a big bit fell out the centre box so it really was getting to noisey.
    So off came the pipes from the middle of the car backwards and I got the replacement pieces out the loft of the garage. And guess what?

[​IMG]

So that wasn't going to work so out comes the welder again. Rotten piece cut out and plate stuck in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice bit of exhaust putty to cover the sins is always good. Happy neighbors now. Nice quick little job.

4. boddney

Drives:
    I bought a few panels for the old girl so I thought I'd have a go at offering them up to see how they fit. The lower valence actually almost fitted straight on if it hadn't been for the 3 ltr exhaust that I'd fitted and a small piece of weld on the O/S that I'd done ages ago. So I cut the pieces I needed to and it was a really good fit. next it need primering as it was in bare metal with preservative on it when it arrived. So here are the pictures.
    [​IMG]

Primed. Thanks for the use of your washing line Hamster.

[​IMG]

I didn't get round to looking at the sill panel as you will see in a mo. The plan was to weld a patch in the hole of the N/S rear floor on the inside and then put a patch underneath as it's a double skin there. Howerver things didn't go quite to plan as usual. Have a look.

Nice easy hole cut out.

[​IMG]

Patch made from the sacrificial MR2 wing. Not a lot left of it now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Welded in.

[​IMG]

Then I turned my attention to the under side and cut a little out then some more then some more and OH MY GOD STOP IT!!!!!!

Looking back toward the front spring hanger.

[​IMG]

And from the outside looking toward the front.

[​IMG]

I lost heart at this point and took the dog down the beach to have a think about how to tackle that mess. The O/S is just the same. Do you think it's safe to carry on with this car looking at these pictures bearing in mind I'm just an amateur with a welder.
    Some encouraging words would have been good at this point as I was feeling rather deflated and fed up.

5. Laser

Laser Laser Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
    I would get some advice from more experienced bodywork people here
    But is all the usual suspect areas the main thing it the bit where the bolt goes through for the front spring ..
    as long as that's solid then the rest is pure fabrication and some decent welding
    before launching in there
    1. measure and make templates
    2. fine decent thickness steel
    3. make up the templates and form them then
    4.brace all the area eg doors shut and floor well supported
    5 take loads reference photos
    6 then work one area at a time working outwards from the chassis rail

6. boddney

Drives:
    Thanks mate, that's a good advice list to follow. The chassis part where the spring bolt goes through is fairly good to be fair although the springs do have to come off for replacement so I'll get a proper look then. Do you think I should take then off before the fabrication or might that collapse the whole area?

7. 1974gt

1974gt Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri mk2 1974 2.0 gt
    I think one of the traders on here make a piece that replaces the spring get hanger section the other bits are just inner and outer sill sections from what I can see,definatly keep chin up on it I've been through the same thing on my build it's gutting to just keep finding more and more rot and more things that don't work.
    just break it down in to manageable achievements for example if you you say to yourself I'm going to tackle the spring hangers, then just do that till its done, I started with the worst jobs and worked my way through 1 at a time and y the end of 5 he huge list I was on easy street, plus in terms of welding I found half the battle was just making sure everything was ground back nicely

8. 1974gt

Drives:
    capri mk2 1974 2.0 gt
    To be fair it's not the worst I've seen either, it's just one of those areas where so many bits meet that it looks at first glance a bit shocking

9. boddney

Drives:
    All true mate. Those bits you speak of are from CCI and cost about the same as a small house.

Your car is stunning, I've been following your thread.

Thanks for your comments and encouragement.

10. 1974gt

Drives:
    capri mk2 1974 2.0 gt
    Thanks I've been following yours too, my favourite thread actually as I can relate to it pretty well, my car was the same in the areas like yours it's really just a case of breaking it down and rebuilding it one piece of metal at the time, on mine I actually made the holes the spanner through square for ease of fabrication, the bit that nearly broke me was the inner rear pieces behind the rear wing, I reckon every project ha a moment of oh my god can I really do this

11. resto2.8i

resto2.8i Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Silver Porsche 996 Carrera 4S, black 2.8i and a mk1 3000gt xlr v8 cologne arched project
    For the repair plates speak to trev at the Orkney garage, should be a better price than cci

12. steve 35

steve 35 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1.6L
    Your doing an ace job there, this thread is giving me the motivation to crack on with my 2.0s cut the wings off and completely stripped it few weeks ago, but seem to have lost the will to carry on, really need to get back in the garage, need it done for show season next year, keep up the good work

13. boddney

Drives:
    A small update as I just don't have the time to get on with the Capri. As it's fathers day my boys said "just do what ever you want today dad". So I got the springs out that Nial got for me a made them ready to fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Gibbo4242

Gibbo4242 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 280
    Glad to see your back on it. This is a fascinating thread, keep on going.

Nice calendars by the way !

:blush: :rolleyes:

15. wildwest-capri

wildwest-capri Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK3 Laser used by the BBC. aka Mellow Yellow
    Sod the springs.Lets see more pics of the calenders :headbang:: :boxedin:

16. clicon357

clicon357 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK2 1976 2.0L GL (rotten), Mk3 1983 2.0L "S" (basically just the shell), MK3 1.6L Cabaret (nearest to being back on the road) - all in bits! Focus 2.0 Ghia Zetec estate awaiting sills. 2.0S Mondeo Duratec estate for the daily.
    Actually, not a calendar. We live next door and his garage looks onto our bathroom window.............Knew I should have gone for the frosted glass. :lol:

17. wildwest-capri

wildwest-capri Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK3 Laser used by the BBC. aka Mellow Yellow
    I'm on my way :stunned:

18. trevster mk 2

trevster mk 2 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    mk 2 2.9 cosworth boa ghia
    good going m8 are those new rubber bushes? if not while you're at that stage may be worthwhile fitting poly bushes?

nice to see someone having a real good go at doing it yourself, and the results are looking real good, wish i was brave enough to get on the welder

top work[​IMG]

keep going, as said each bit done is a step towards finishing, and some good advice from those who have the t shirt to guide you
    good luck with the rest
    best wishes trev

19. Hancockshire

Drives:
    Cracking looking springs, they're looking very happy. as for the acres of rot, well you get what you pay for don't you? ;)

20. boddney

Drives:
    Can you buy just the spring bushes on their own either in a poly bush or standard or do you have to buy whole kits?

21. Kris

Kris Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    Mk3 2.9S Cosworth 24V
    You can buy them separate I think mate, check eBay :)

22. boddney

Drives:
    I took her top off today to see what the lumpy bits were underneath. I wish I hadn't now coz it looks terrible but it had to be done and none of the rust is holed so better now than later I suppose.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I also had a rub down and polish of one of the Mk3 door handles as I had seen what someone else had done so I thought I'd have a go.

From this....

[​IMG]

To this...

[​IMG]

23. Kris

Drives:
    Mk3 2.9S Cosworth 24V
    Always look forward to seeing this thread being updated, and again you havnt disappointed :)

That handle came up really well! I've a spare set so I may do the same!

24. boddney

Drives:
    Thanks Kris, but again I seem to have found more work to add to the list rather than ticking anything off it. Maybe one day that will start to happen a bit quicker than at present.

25. Hancockshire

Drives:
    Are you going to put a vinyl roof back on when you're finishing the car?

26. boddney

Drives:
    I hope so but they're £300 at least plus all the brittle gutter trims, windscreen rubber and riveted on securing strips at the back. OUCH!!!

27. boddney

Drives:
    Impulsive repairs today. I've been wanting to fit the springs for ages as I'm really keen to see the difference in ride height. I know in my mind that I should do the bushes first but i just couldn't wait. Anyway this is how the springs looked when I got the car with a ride height of 53.5 cm from ground to the bottom of the wheel arch. Both side where the same.

[​IMG]

So Dan and I set to work on the one the other that I had pulled apart a while ago after Nial suggested that I have a look to see if there are any leaves broken. This is what I found.

[​IMG]

These where growing between all the leaves and the centre bolt was broken.

[​IMG]

Pissed off once again I put it back together with a normal bolt and 3 leaves until I could get to Nials to get my replacements.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway back to today. Dan getting started.

[​IMG]

When I got the old spring off I laid it next to the new one hoping to see a real difference in shape but alas no.

[​IMG]

You can see here that the rear bush is really shot but as the car has to stay mobile the new had to go on.

[​IMG]

So here it is fitted and to my surprise and quite a bit of delight I did have to jack the spring up to the axle where as with the old one it was flat enough to stay with the axle when it was not supported on the jack. What I'm trying to say is that I think the new springs may have quite a lot more curve than I realized.

[​IMG]

Quite a difference from the other side.

[​IMG]

Laters til next time.
    Bod

28. boddney

Drives:
    So I cracked on with the other side today and as usual it turned it to a bit of an epic saga.
    This is what we started with.

[​IMG]

Easy access to the front eye bolt.

[​IMG]

I pulled the spring out and a load of chassis came with it.

[​IMG]

What a job to cut rot out in that little box. But we got there in the end.

[​IMG]

Made a patch and stuck it in in my usual c**p looking manner.

[​IMG]

Ground it all back and gave it some underseal.

[​IMG]

Again, here's a difference picture.

[​IMG]

A matching pair now.

[​IMG]

She now sits much better. As said earlier she did sit at 53.5cm ground to wheel arch and now it's nice and level at 61.5cm.
    That is the result I was after.

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Bod

29. Kris

Drives:
    Mk3 2.9S Cosworth 24V
    Looking well boss! Had to put new springs in mine also, mine was sitting low on one side! :)

30. CapriGear

CapriGear Capri Gear Trader

Drives:
    Ford Focus, BMW 540i
    I have brand new standard spec bushes or I can supply Superflex polybushes for the springs.

31. boddney

Drives:
    Ah right. Do the polys need putting in with a press? How much are they?

32. Kris

Drives:
    Mk3 2.9S Cosworth 24V
    The old ones are handy taken out with a press, the bushes I fitted didn't need fitted with a press as they are the split type ones. The super flex ones do, but think they are a better make than mine :)

33. boddney

Drives:
    Ok. Split ones sound like the easier ones to use. Do you sell those ones caprigear?

34. boddney

Drives:
    A little update. Again there are still more pressing things that need doing but I'm getting concerned that the surface rust around the front and on the roof is getting a hold. The rust underneath will be cut out and replaced but won't be seen so not really an issue, but on the top, my skills are aren't really good enough to cover that sort of thing up.
    So out came the sander and grinder with a flap wheel and off we go trying to sort it out.

As seen before we started with this.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rubbed it all back and covered it with rust killer/converter

[​IMG]

Primered just to protect it a bit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Arty shot back in her space.

[​IMG]

Even though this work is just a temporary measure to slow the rust down until I can catch up, it really has lifted the look of the car and it actually looks like a car under restoration sitting on the grass rather than an an old scrapper just getting in the way.
    Thoughts please.
    Bod

35. clicon357

Drives:
    MK2 1976 2.0L GL (rotten), Mk3 1983 2.0L "S" (basically just the shell), MK3 1.6L Cabaret (nearest to being back on the road) - all in bits! Focus 2.0 Ghia Zetec estate awaiting sills. 2.0S Mondeo Duratec estate for the daily.
    Do we get into the old "...is primer hydroscopic?" debate? :lol:

36. BigJ

BigJ Registered Capri Power Member

It's a great job you're doing Bod considering the amount of corrosion you've come across and still seem to be discovering as you go.

However, feet on the ground time, and with the greatest respect, how confident are you in the strength of that shell to withstand a decent impact with you and your family inside it?

Some of that rot looks as if maybe it's gone a bit too far for patching up on the drive.

No offence intended but I just thought I'd ask the question as I can't see what you can, only what the photos show. :thumbup1:

37. boddney

Drives:
    Big J, no offence taken at all. I ask myself that question every time I work on the car and have asked somewhere way back in the thread if anyone with more experience thinks it looks too far gone.
    Which part, if it is just one part, do you think is the weak link? Or are you thinking, boot floor, chassis legs both sides and further in etc all add up to be weak?

When I patched the chassis near the front spring eye, there where some big bits of blown rusty metal that came out that hole that I don't know where they came from and I thought then, "how thick is the metal in this box section"?
    It is a worry of mine and my wife asks me about getting rid of it a lot. I've spent about £800 on it in the 3 years I've had it, so not a great deal really. I would probably get a lot more for the parts of it should I decide to break it as I don't think I would want to sell it as a resto/runner as I don't think I could sleep at night worrying that someone may get hurt in it due to the work I had done.

When I finished my last (much easier) project I was at a loose end with myself as I really enjoy the chase of looking for parts, trying to get the money for things, reading all the forums and threads that I can relate to and join in with etc and I i broke the car I would be back at the same loose end.
    It's a hell of a dilemma and I wish someone could tell me what to do.

Bod

38. Bristol Red

Bristol Red Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    * Red '84 3.1 Injecton *
    Was thinking the same thing myself! Standard primer is hygroscopic so will absorb water.. probably a good idea to put a few coats of paint on top

Loving this thread keep the updates coming Bod :thumbup1:

39. Hancockshire

Drives:
    Well think how much you paid for the car, then how much you've spent on the work on the car & finally how much the car's worth at the end of it

40. BigJ

I know when I restored Kylie, my lad's 2.0s, we came across some corrosion in places that we were not expecting and couldn't see. Some of it was in the load bearing sections of the chassis and so once I had decided it was still financially viable, I spent a long time looking for the right person to do the job professionally as it was way beyond my scope and it was going to be the car that my son was to drive. Only once they had assessed the car for me was I comfortable to proceed with the repairs using new panels wherever possible. The boot floor was also gone in mine so a new one was found and welded in to good solid metal making sure that any rot or thin metal was well gone. Don't forget what sits under the boot floor and is only protected by the metal that surrounds it.

In a past life, I've had to deal first hand with the consequences of vehicles coming apart upon impact and some but not all were due to weakness in the car structure either from a poor repair or ,from corrosion that not even experienced MOT testers had been able to discover. As a traffic bobby and advanced vehicle examiner in the Police back in the 90s it was my job to piece all the bits back together following fatal or serious accidents and many of the cars I dealt with were the very cars that are now considered classics and which didn't have the design safety that modern vehicles have today. Of course you can still be killed or injured in a modern day vehicle but generally speaking their level of safety due to their design is much greater than when Capris etc were being manufactured and impact survivability rates have increased.

If a section of bodywork is corroded then it will no longer be able to absorb impact forces as well as it would have done when new and so any of us who are repairing our cars as we like to do, need to be comfortable with the standard of repairs that we carry out to make sure we maintain the integrity of the load bearing structure as much as possible.

Any serious corrosion near to suspension mounting points would be a matter of great concern to me as would any areas that contribute to the rigidity of the structure such as the roof. It's what you can't see that is the worry and as a Dad like you I just winced a bit when I saw what you were coming across and thought to myself that maybe now would be a good time to take a step back and maybe get a second opinion from a professional who could help you decide whether to continue or not.

Continueing as you are may well be an option but if you have any doubts, and it sounds like you may well have, then maybe now is the time to listen to your gut feeling and take advice before proceeding any further?

If the mechanical bits are all okay on the car and you felt it wasn't the right thing to continue with restoring that shell then it might be easier to source a decent shell that isn't as far gone as yours and transfer the running gear onto that? As you say your existing shell could be used to donate parts to a new project and recoup some of the money that's been spent to date.

Others may have a different view and I respect that and also the fact that what I see and read in the thread may not be the full picture so hopefully you will take my comments in the supportive spirit that they were intended.

Joe

41. boddney

Drives:
    Thanks Joe, now off to do some thinking and soul searching.

42. clicon357

Drives:
    I must admit I looked at the pics of the chassis rails & hangers and was surprised you elected to locally repair them...............

There have been a few on here, this being one of them where I've wondered what would really be left if you were to acid dip (I don't like the process mind) the shell. Reminds me of the MK2 Jag they did in Practical Classics where they dipped that and it came out like a colander.

Fair play for having a go and all that. We've pm'd in the past with a view to you having some bits off my old MK2 but the items are really too far gone as discussed. Maybe there is a time to "let go"? This is the attitude I've taken with my MK2 hence getting the MK3 shell.

Same as what MK2Boyd did........had a MK2 in dare I say better condition than yours. He bit the bullet and then got a MK3 shell which he transferred the bits over to and made into a MK2 lookalike.

43. boddney

Drives:
    I sent a message to a restoration place in Canterbury where Dagenham Darren had his done. Now waiting a reply and then decision time.

44. BigJ

A wise decision :thumbup1:

Depending how you get on you could also run your thoughts past Wayne and Stuart on here who do this sort of thing everyday and who will give you an honest assessment.

45. Kris

Drives:
    Mk3 2.9S Cosworth 24V

Good man, on the bright side... it would be done quicker! :)

46. boddney

Drives:
    Well I've had some quotes and someone came and had a look and everyone had different ideas. Basically to have it done professionally will cost thousands and I don't have that sort of money for that sort of thing and that really isn't the point of having the car. I like the challenge of doing it and it gives me something to do when I have spare time and something to do in the evenings i.e research on here and parts hunts etc.

The guy that came to look said that the repairs weren't what would be done in a workshop, so I gave him a hammer to have a bash about with and he said that they were certainly strong enough, just a little unorthodox.

I've decided to carry on in my own fashion, ya know, slowly and unortodoxly (if that's a word) chasing the tin worm about and doing terrible paint jobs until such times as I get fed up, bored and frustrated or come into some money.

I'll keep posting up on here if you don't mind looking at it and I do truly thank you all for your concern and advice.

I doubt I'll sell the car when it's done but if I do then I will certainly inform the next owner of the type of restoration that it has been and the price will reflect that but that is a loooooong way off.

Cheers,
    Bod

47. 1974gt

Drives:
    capri mk2 1974 2.0 gt
    Well i always enjoy your thread updates, not everyone has thousands to spend on a resto, and even if you or someone else decides that the work isn't up to scratch at least it will save it for the future and at the end of the day car restoration means slightly different things to different people for me, restoring a car is learning how to do it and doing it all yourself, for some one else it's sending the car away to be taken apart then sending all the bits to different people, having them resemble it and then finally putting the seats in and saying they restored it

48. resto2.8i

Drives:
    Silver Porsche 996 Carrera 4S, black 2.8i and a mk1 3000gt xlr v8 cologne arched project
    If ever you want to pop over I can give you some tips and help in the welding practise stakes, also have some spares and tools that may help you get it done, scott

49. stu_d909

stu_d909 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1987 mk3 laser, 2008 mk2.5 focus st-3
    if your bothered about how your work looks mate check these vids out on youtube you will soon feel pretty good about the stuff your doing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOjE0W2duFg

stu

50. garethp9404

garethp9404 Registered Capri Power Member

Cracking video. Some very interesting repairs there. Makes me wonder if you really need a welder to restore a capri. So bod how are you feeling? Going back to if the repairs are strong enough to take a thump up the rear just have a look at the likes of a citroen c1 or the so called Mercedes smartcar.

51. Kris

Drives:
    Mk3 2.9S Cosworth 24V
    I sat and watched the whole series once haha! It makes anything I do like it was done in the factory :p

52. jebspencer1980

jebspencer1980 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Jesus, I went on and looked at the third video where he was 'welding' the wing rail and then using filler to cover up the ugly looking welds. I'm not saying I can weld but I am sure I wouldn't have been happy with that. Not a big fan of safety kit too, grinding with no gloves, goggles or hearing protection :crazy:

53. tommurphy73

tommurphy73 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    All but a 2.8i
    Spent the whole evening watching these videos. Amazingly it passed the MOT at the end.

54. caprimk3

caprimk3 Richard Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mondeo Mk3, 78' Capri 2.3S
    Shocking work really in those vids.

He waving the welding gun over the spot where he's weldig, like it's a magic stick :sleepy: :sleepy:

And slapping the filler and paint on like a 6 year old...

Even I can weld better than that, and my eyes are no good!

Keep on working Boddney, you are certainly much better than the chap in the video :thumbup1:

55. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    I liked at the end of the first video, he's drilling at a locking wheel nut and it sure looks like the drill is in reverse. :thumbup1:
    Sounds like your car has become a "learnatorium", like my Eloi. For that reason alone, worth the decision you seem to have made now. Good luck! :thumbup1:

56. boddney

Drives:
    I like that dude, he makes me look good.

For a start, what's with trying to undo wheel nuts with a 3/8" ratchet and then there's the lame 1lb claw hammer, ring spanners and a rubber mallet.

Filler over rust is just rubbish and really not fair on the next owner and that drill was definitely going the wrong way with a tiny B&Q drill bit.

I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the videos.

Thanks all for posting it up Stu and making me feel better and giving me some mojo to crack on.

Oh and thanks V8 Wide Boy. I'd love to pop over and say hello. Are you about week days at all as I work in Norton Subcourse.

57. resto2.8i

Drives:
    I'm home about 6 most nights and around pretty much every weekend if you want to pop over, Scott.

58. Hancockshire

Drives:
    It's a massive shame you've been losing your motivation but at least you're not 20 & struggling to scrape any cash to get a Fiesta back on the road. I've always loved this thread because every update you post has just seen the car getting better & better & better. Still you have a Capri where as I'm not likely to get one for a good few years due to the insurance companies hating on young drivers like myself & if the values keep increasing like they do

59. tommurphy73

Drives:
    All but a 2.8i
    Keep up the good work. I think that you are doing a great job. As long as the metal you are welding to is strong and the welds get good penetration then they should be fine. I was enjoying your updates.

I struggled a lot when I got my welder first but I found that once I got it set up properly that I was able to do a pretty good job. Getting an auto darkening welding mask made a huge difference to my welding.

The following page was quite helpful for me in the beginnning.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/wire-speed.htm

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/tutorial.htm

Another thing that I did was replace the teflon wire feed tube with one from a professional gun (it only cost a few euros from a welding shop) this made the wire feed much more stable.

Regards
    Tom

60. boddney

Drives:
    Thanks Tom. The auto darkening mask is on my Christmas list and I may well change my wire feed tube aswell then. Mine is always snagging and coiling the wire in the welder. It takes ages to pull it all out and refeed it back to the torch. Not to mention the waste of wire.

Bod.

61. tommurphy73

Drives:
    All but a 2.8i
    My welder was the very same. It would only feed if the torch was pulled straight out from the welder. Any curves and the wire would not feed. I had forgotten about the wire coiling up inside the welder. It was one of the cheapest fixes I did to the welder but it worked so well. I also changed the welder tip holder , tips and shroud for one from a professional welder. I can now use the professional tips and the shroud does not keep falling off like it did when I got the welder. I cant remember how much modification I had to do to get the parts to work together but as far as I remember it was quite easy.

My local welding shop were very helpful.

Regards
    Tom

62. acepower84

acepower84 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk3 2.1, Mk2 2.0S, Octavia VRS
    Any more updates on this car?. Did see it at practical classic restoration show.

63. fearthecat

fearthecat Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    himself crazy with 3 and a half Capri Ghias
    This is one of my favourite restoration threads :) I found myself wondering the other day where you were up to with things but didn't see the topic in the limelight. I'm glad Altaf posted in it :)

I've caught up on the discoveries you've made, the trials you've faced and the repairs you've made. What's clear is that you have a passion for this car, and no matter how hard you get knocked down by rust or rot or doubt, you continue... you find your way again because you're driven to do that. This isn't about making a concourse car, or making a car that will net you £££, it's about discovering the story of the car, and continuing that story. As you said, the thrill of the chase for parts, of finding out new things and sharing those experiences with like-minded people. That satisfaction you feel at your work...

"Even though this work is just a temporary measure to slow the rust down until I can catch up, it really has lifted the look of the car and it actually looks like a car under restoration sitting on the grass rather than an an old scrapper just getting in the way.
    Thoughts please."

You were right. When you see all the rust and the bumps and the dents, you see how the car is right now, but treating those areas even temporarily smooths out the car's flaws and shows you a glimpse of how it could look IF you keep going. So you keep going.

Doubt is a massive obstacle in anything, and your worries and uncertainties can multiply very easily. I understand your concern and the concern of others regarding impact resistance and such. Truth is, any classic car is going to fall far short in those regards compared to modern cars. It's unavoidable. I have seen some wrecked Capris that were near mint condition, the impact speeds were low but the damage immense. Every crash is unique and you could have a perfect Capri that gets impacted at the side by a lorry and you're still toast :(

Joe did impart some good cautions and advice His experience is incredibly valuable. I think short of spending a year or two searching for a perfect shell and spending a few grand on that, the best you can do is get professional advice, develop your welding skills (which are way better than mine! :p), and make the best repairs you can given the skills and knowledge available to you.

I used to watch that "My Dad Buys Crap" YouTube series and I enjoyed it. It's true that his repairs are non-standard, that they're some of the things classic car owners hate to find on their cars, but he's using the skills and knowledge he has. I saw a lot of posts ridiculing him but maybe his repairs are what keeps that car going til someone with more expertise can do the job to their own standard. If it's good enough for him and safe enough for the MOT then we shouldn't be making so much fun of him. I remember that he did things in ways that I wouldn't... but I also remember that I've not always had the right tools and I know sod all about welding or any kind of bodywork - my method of rust treatment is to soak things in WD-40 and hope! I've used a simple inspection hammer with a chisel instead of something meaty, because I didn't have anything else at the time. I don't mean to derail your restoration topic with this, and I'll remove this part of the reply if you feel it's doing that... I just know that that guy, gave me motivation and did help me progress where I was just fed up and couldn't get interested.

Try to enjoy yourself, not just with the Capri restoration but in general. Try and stay positive so you have the energy and clarity of mind to move in which ever direction you choose with your car.

P.S. I've said this before, but every time I see your Capri I want to say it again... I LOVE THAT COLOUR! ^.^

64. boddney

Drives:
    Well, thanks for those two posts guys, they mean alot to know that people are interested.

I've kind of stopped with the work on the car itself at the moment as I've been extending my garage to put it in there so that I can work like other people work i.e go and do an hour, drop the tools where they are and leave it like that until I have time to do another hour or day which ever comes first.

In reality, we've had a torrid year here with all kinds of incidents. We had a an upstairs water leak in February that ran all day whilst we were at work resulting in ruined floors,walls and carpets upstairs, and collapsed ceilings and ruined carpets downstairs.
    Then in May my Sister-in-Law had a very short illness for 3 weeks which turned out to be cancer and she passed away leaving us all very down. She was just 35 and left a Husband and 3 year old little lad.
    Then just 3 weeks ago a suicidal car driver drove head on in to my truck at over 70mph leaving me in a bit of a mess as you can imagine.

So not a lot of home fun has been had so work on the garage has been slow. Never the less it is up and this weekend I will be fitting the electrics and it will be finished.
    The garage has been done in true Boddney style i.e. on the cheap but I'm really pleased with it and so is the Capri. It's only been there 2 weeks but already the mould has gone on the seats and it smells loads better but the best bit is my lovely wife is much happier to keep it as it's not sitting on the front garden making the house and the street a real mess.

Anyway, as always, here are some pictures.

I asked a load of neighbours round to help me move the shed. 16'x6'. Properly heavy.

[​IMG]

A big tree in the corner had to come out and the ground work done.

[​IMG]

This give you an idea of my plan. It's going to be a double length rather than a double width garage.

[​IMG]

35 concrete council slabs laid in a day. 3'x 2' x 1" thick. No mean feat let me tell ya. I was absolutely knackard.

[​IMG]

Just over 6 tons of soil dug out in the end all dug out, barrowed through and loaded by me.

[​IMG]

Then the garage arrived.

[​IMG]

I had a builder friend of mine put an RSJ in for me as I wasn't confident doing it myself. We did a swap job. He put in the RSJ and I put new springs and shocks on his Mk1 Celica. Perfect.

[​IMG]

I bought some ex-council garage doors, Knocked the wall down and fitted them in. Another day full of hard work.

[​IMG]

Garage frame going up.

[​IMG]

Finished view from upstairs. (standing on my new carpet :thumbup1:/> )

[​IMG]

A view straight through.

[​IMG]

I have pictures of it complete inside with my workbench and Capri inside but they are still on my phone so I'll put them on later.

Hope you enjoyed that little post.

65. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    I liked that post. May I put some parts in there? DIY projects usually interest me, especially when they involve a little thought and a little actual work, and then a little beer. :thumbup1: That looks like decent material, but watch it for spots that might chafe as it shifts in wind or rain, and that foam pipe insulation makes a great cushion to make it last longer.

66. CAPRIghia30

CAPRIghia30 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    BMW E28 528i, BMW E28 518i, BMW F31 335D X Drive. Need another Cappa....
    Man what bad luck you have suffered. But somehow you have stayed so positive and achieved your build which is fab ! Hopefully you can now crack on like you say at your own leisure which is also in itself a lot less stressful. I hope life is kind to you now and best of luck with rest of the resto. Keep going mate, we are all interested. Jez

67. fearthecat

fearthecat Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    himself crazy with 3 and a half Capri Ghias
    It seems like the Capri has taken a break from knocking you down and given it over to other events. I do wish you well. You're a good person and you have had such a testing, terrible year... though these photos prove there are little bright moments even in hard times. It seems you have good neighbours, good friends, and a loving family who help keep you going and enable you to still do things you want to do. I am sorry that you, your family and your extended family have lost someone lovely. I really hope this is where parts of your life pull you up from the rubble of what's happened... where the Capri becomes a motivation instead of a concern, and where time with your family makes you smile and feel happy.

There's a lot of sweat and strain that isn't shown in your pictures or your words, but it was worth it. Everything looks great and you're already seeing the benefits. Electrics are essential otherwise you have to go inside to make a brew and you might forget where you're up to on the car. I hope you get some time to relax your body and mind.

68. jebspencer1980

jebspencer1980 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Sorry to read about your woes mate. The new work garage looks brilliant, really impressive. It's always satisfying when you do it yourself; my dad and I re roofed the garage at our old place in a day, it was dark by the time I was done up there with the old man holding the torch so I could put the final screws in! Absolutely knackered but a job well done. I bet you feel chuffed to bits to be able to work out of the weather!

Top job

Spence :thumbup1:

69. trevster mk 2

Drives:
    all of the above, wishing you all the best with the rest of the rebuild[​IMG]

go go Boddney , nice to see another capri being saved, well done m8

all the best trev

70. biasmatty

biasmatty Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK 3, 1.6 Laser
    Glad to see this project still going, The garage extension is a great idea and looks really good for a budget build. Just to add regards to the polishing up the door handles, mine looked good for a short while, but they tarnish very quickly, so need polishing up again every other week.

71. acepower84

Drives:
    Good to hear you are still at it. Sorry to hear of your woes.

72. boddney

Drives:
    Just a quick update.

Today was a first for me and the Capri. It's rained all day here so for the first time I have worked on the in the rain just because I can now.

You may remember a little way back in the thread that I fitted some new springs that had absolutely shot bushes. I was lucky enough to get hold of a full set of poly bushes from a guy in the Kings Lynn Capri Club. He only wanted £20 so I went for it.

[​IMG]

Quite a hard job to change these I've been told without a press but I thought I'd have a go so I removed the shackles first to have a look.
    Yep, still knackard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used an electric recipricating saw to slice the rubber out and then cut two slots in the metal case and hit it out with a hammer and chisel.
    All sounds very easy yes? Really not!!!
    Anyway, here's one old one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Top bushes are easy to change so here is the comparison. Not too bad after so many years.

[​IMG]

The new ones are just an easy push in and insert.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Now the springs sit straight with the chassis and all is finished.

[​IMG]

It never fails to amaze me how this car fights me all the way with everything. You wouldn't believe how hard it was to lower the axle enough to get the spring eyes past the exhaust silencer. The lower shock absorber mount bolts were seized in the sleeve so the bolt just goes round and round and I tried for age to free it and knock it out but no chance.
    So plan B, undo the top mounts. O/S top mount comes undone so looking good. N/S one-----No chance. So after loads of fighting I had no option but to clamp the shocks piston with mole grips to get the nut off.Not something I'm fan of but needs must.

Anyway I got the job done and I found the new joy of working on a car inside while it rained outside :banana: :banana: :banana:

73. tommurphy73

Drives:
    All but a 2.8i
    Great to see a new update and some shiny new parts going on the Capri.

74. boddney

Drives:

I just noticed that you said you saw the car at the NEC. It's a shame we didn't meet.

75. trevster mk 2

Drives:
    top work m8, i know exactly how hard they are to get out, i found a drill very useful as once you drill through it sort of goes round and gets the rubber out but then for the metal i just used brute force with a punch and heavy hammer
    pressed the polys in with the bench vice, bast*rd of a job

good to see you are making good progress, keep up the good work[​IMG]

76. CAPRIghia30

CAPRIghia30 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    BMW E28 528i, BMW E28 518i, BMW F31 335D X Drive. Need another Cappa....
    Good to see you back at it Bod. I know it feels like you are the only one when your car fights back, but I can assure you you aren't ! Mines been a cow lately even after its just finished ! Anyway, great deal on those poly bushes mate and keep up the good work !

77. Laser

Laser Laser Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    1.6 Laser and 2.0S
    Great to see you back in the battle sir!
    Keep bashing away ! is it me or are you short of a leaf in those springs ?

78. boddney

Drives:
    You had me wondering there so quick check and there is four.Phew!!!

[​IMG]

79. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    I apologise profusely ... took my eye off your thread and now it seems that 3months have gone in a flash
    so sorry to read the ills you have faced since June, and do hope that home and family are recovering well, even if slowly ...
    I like the idea of opening the rear of the garage into the garden, and with a good quality heavy duty cover over things it does appear to be a welcome improvement to your working environment ..
    keep on keeping on, I have a genuine admiration for your attack and battle with the Mk2, and I have no doubt you will achieve your target..
    if for nothing else, its just worth it

80. boddney

Drives:
    Dan and I had a spare day yesterday and it looks like he may well be getting an apprenticeship in an HGV workshop next year so I thought I'd introduce him into some proper mechanic work.
    The clutch had started to get stuck down before the car went into the garage and thus making it slip when moving it about so I thought we'd have a look at it.

So, car up in the air as high as we could get it and get stuck in.

Dan underneath enjoying the power of air tools.

[​IMG]

Once the box was out the problem was obvious and exactly what I thought it would be. Dryness and you've guessed it--rust.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The clutch plate is almost finished as well. You can see where it's started to pick up in places.

[​IMG]

And the pressure plate just looks rubbish.

[​IMG]

Anyway, Dan had a good time and learnt a lot and I enjoyed some precious time with my eldest.

That's all for now.

81. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Oh, you fix that clutch, it will be like you got a new car! Fun thread here, I think I'll go out and work in the rain. :thumbup1:

82. Lord Flasheart

Lord Flasheart Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Panzer, Jeep, CBR600, 3.0 Ghia
    I've been so wrapped up in my own restoration I've not had time to follow too many others. Just read this from the start & all I can say is fair bloody play to you mate, keep at it :headbang::

83. boddney

Drives:
    Thanks Flash,

We also have issues with the gear lever. I have posted a question in the tecnical section but I may as well copy it on to this thread.

When I was removing the gear leaver I was struggling to get that lock washer/nut thing off when the lever just pulled straight out before I'd even managed to turn the nut.

This can't be right eh?

Then when I looked in the hole it had come from there seemed to be some sort of 'black thing' in there although it might be some 'black stuff' as it was a bit soft. I'm thinking it is some sort of solidified residue of something like that. Does that sound right is is it the remains of a nylon ball of some sort.

Sorry it's all a bit vague but an explode view of this area may help if anyone has got one.

[​IMG]

84. Kris

Drives:
    Mk3 2.9S Cosworth 24V
    Don't know if this is any use, and I don't know if it's the right part but someone may be able to shed some light on it...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/131653556278

[​IMG]

Keep up the good work! :)

85. boddney

Drives:
    Thanks Kris,

I saw that too but couldn't see how it would go over the fork on the end of the lever.

By good fortune the chap from Capri Gear has PM'd me and may have some in stock if mine measures the same as his, as there are different colour coded sizes.

Thanks for looking anyway.

Bod

86. trevster mk 2

Drives:
    fingers crossed for you m8, glad to see you making some good progress[​IMG]

87. clicon357

Drives:
    Zoom in on the schematic here, just below part 18:

http://www.bearingkits.co.uk/3.0-&-2.8-CAPRI-4-SPEED-GEARBOX-OIL-SEALS/47.htm

Appreciate this for a 2.8/3.0 but guessing similar - assume the ball goes curve side down into the "cup" and gets pinned cross-ways to the gear stick.

What the eBay picture DOESN'T show is the cross drilled hole, showed here on the Burton site but again for the 2.8/3.0:

http://www.burtonpower.com/gear-lever-nylon-pivot-ball-type-5-v6-gearbox-gbv6510.html

88. Kris

Drives:
    Mk3 2.9S Cosworth 24V
    Looking forward to seeing any updates on this

89. acepower84

Drives:
    I would also be interested to see how far you have got on with the car. Had to read it all again but it was worth it!

90. boddney

Drives:
    Well thanks for the revival Kris but sadly there has been no progress on the old gal since the clutch came out. I hadn't realised that it'd been that long since I did anything. Life is just to busy plus another mental breakdown reared its ugly head again but I think I have that under control now.

I will endeavour to do some more on on her and post up some more thread.
    Cheers,
    Bod.

91. Hancockshire

Drives:
    Sorry to hear all isn't well with you at the moment, we can't wait to see more progress on this car. I reckon it's going to be awesome when finished

92. trevster mk 2

Drives:
    sorry to hear that, hope you get things back to normal soon, and good luck with the resto, take it easy mate

93. chris249

chris249 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1.6 LS, 1.6 Laser, 2.8
    Hope you are able to get back to her in time, looking forward to future updates [​IMG]

94. Finn

Finn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.9 Mk 3 Capri. 2.8 Mk 3 Capri
    Still plenty to do, but the asking is well worth it Paul.

95. boddney

Drives:
    Sorry and broken hearted to report that I sold the Capri this morning. I just can't stand it when people hang on to a car forever, saying that they are going to restore but all the time it's sitting there deteriorateing. I didn't want to be one of those people so I mustered all my grown up ness and advertised it and it sold about 4 times over within minutes.
    Some are saying I sold it to cheap but I'm happy and there really was sooooo much to do on that I'll realistically never get it done with the amount going on in my life at the moment and for the long foreseeable future.
    Thanks for all the advise and encouragement along the way with all the ups and many downs. You really are a great bunch.

Bod. XXXX

96. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Hopeful for your Capri future, you've done nothing to prevent that. You'll meet others along the way...

97. PaulG

PaulG Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 3.0S, 2.0S and 1.6 laser, Fiesta MK2 1.1,Octavia VRS,
    So sorry you had to pass it on. Hopefully one day you will be in a situation that lets you buy one with less or preferably no work. Good luck whatever.

98. boddney

Drives:
    I feel sure I'll be with one again one day. I'll be back on here from time to time as I still the Capris and always will.
    Bod

99. trevster mk 2

Drives:
    good luck mate, hope you can find a way into capri ownership in the not too distant future

100. boddney

Drives:
    Sorry to anyone wanting to see pictures on this thread but Photobucket have decided that anyone wanting to do 3rd party linking of pictures will have to pay. That's not happening so all the pics have disappeared.
    Bod