New member here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WRCLVR, 26 November 2021.

1. WRCLVR

WRCLVR New Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    E350 A-207 MB cabriolet
    Hi everyone.

I just joined up today, Located in USA, close to Atlanta , GA.

Circa 1982-1985, I owned a 1974 Mk I 2.8 L 4 speed in factory competition orange over black sills. Apparently one year colour only. Blacked out front grill. Had the massively heavy US 5 mph bumpers. Standard USA black and silver steel wheels. Cant find any pics ( from 38 years ago)

Loved driving that car. v6 had about 105 HP. 3rd gear and the v6 torque was great. Handled much better and was a fair bit faster after removing those heavy bumpers. Never could find the chrome 1970-173 bumpers at the time :-(

Might be looking to find another as I'm retiring next year 2022. Prefer a MK II 3 door hatch. Very hard to find in US now. Most have rusted to pieces or rusted in all the wrong places like the front leaf spring mounts for the rear axle on the hatch.

Any ways, just gonna be on here once in a while browsing and looking to see what is available in the UK and continent.

Last edited: 26 November 2021
    Clockwork Orange likes this.
  2. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    Welcome Rally Fan ...
    theres still a lot of Capri interest on your shores, but we have a few good guys here too ..

Atlanta GA .. Bandit country .. :cool:
    (its a comedy movie thing)

3. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    Welcome, from the west coast. Only a handful of US members on here, but we've been well-treated. My first Capri matched yours, and actually handled better than my current MkIIs. I'm preparing one for sale, but it's a 2.3 Pinto engine and I just got some things to deal with rust around the glass on the hatch. I've never shopped for a Capri in Arizona or New Mexico, but I imagine they might be less rust-prone areas than most, and I'm told there are some still on the scene there. I'd look there as much as anywhere else now, I think. And keep an eye out for spare parts on your travels.
    Our big fat bumpers, I try to downplay those on here. Lots of Brits on the site, and they hold those things against us! :) (but it's not our fault - I've never found a set of chromes, either.)

4. WRCLVR

WRCLVR New Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    E350 A-207 MB cabriolet
    Ah thanks Crash & Burn. 1971-1973 had the chrome light weight bumpers but no go on them back then, surprisingly. I always wondered if the 1971- 1973 chrome Pinto bumpers could be made to fit ?

Yes WRC Rally fan. Owned a EVo 8 2005 from 2006 until Dec 2017. sold due to back issues. Now that was a spectacularly fast car. ~ 320whp and 340wtq. at 27 lbs of boost. :)

Team Blitx doesnt seem to have many parts on their site. Wonder if it is just fading away. IIRC the v6 2.8 was fitted to other things like the Pinto and Mustang II in the late 80's . Might be a source of items?

can you confirm if the rust at the mounts at the front of the rear leaf spring is a death killer for a Mk II car?

5. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    Norm @ Team Blitz doesn't list everything all the time on line .. his usual MO is to get a list by eMail from the buyer and he roots out the bits required if he has them ..
    Capri Club North America is really quite active and would be worth your while, also their FB page - Capri World (North America) https://www.facebook.com/groups/102841040302070

the rust at the front mounts of the rear springs can be a killer if you let it collapse, however they can be repaired and there are parts of the mount are really heavy metal ..
    There is a really good chap in Orkney, and a chappy in France that do a repair kit .. My Son-in-Law did mine - we closed all the stupid openings and cavities that Ford elected to build in !!

6. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    The 2.8 was fitted to the Pintos and Mustangs, with minor variations beyond my ability to define. Broncos, I think had them too.

I've also been wondering about adapting chrome bumpers from some other car. I tried a used bumper place here, but they weren't inclined to let me search their yard that way. The rust issue at forward leaf spring mounts depends on your repair & welding skills, I suppose. I've never had to deal with rust that threatens structural integrity, but in our Members Cars threads, you can review several members' repairs of those sections.

Parts are probably the single biggest reason I first joined here. I get most of mine from the Traders in the UK and Germany. Capri Gear, Tickover, Burton Power and Motomobil, among others. I often find them easier than even searching for the parts here.

Clockwork Orange likes this.
  7. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
  8. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK3 STRATOS SILVER 3.0 GHIA
    Welcome, there's still some good Capris left in the USA, they do appear, but much thinner on the ground than Europe, I have recently purchased a 2.8i that has never been welded and doesn't need any, that's very rare for the UK.

TheRealExile likes this.
  9. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    welcome
    There are a few members on here from the USA, so your not on your own, and you will also have help from members over the rest of the world as well, have a flick through the members cars and you will see the work going on, from minor repairs to full blown restorations and modifications as well

10. Lord Flasheart

Lord Flasheart Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Panzer, Jeep, CBR600, 3.0 Ghia
    Welcome aboard :)

11. Clockwork Orange

Drives: