Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Wayne, 19 January 2021.

1. Wayne

Wayne Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri
    Hi everyone, new to this site. I have a low mileage MK3 Capri laser that I've had for 12 years and am about to start fitting a 24v Cosworth that I acquired some time ago from a Granada. The site looks to have lots of useful information and parts for sale which seem to be getting much harder to get hold of these days!

Cheers

2. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    Welcome in. All you say is true, and you could even find some fun on the way. Later new members will look for useful information from your engine swap. That's, as they say, "how we roll"...

3. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    first off a very warm welcome, and have a look in members cars and you will see the 2.9 cossy is and has been done a few times and plenty of help with your install is close at hand, by the way which 2.9 you got BOA or BOB? what box and rear axle you using on the project?
    And dont believe a word Mr Crash has said we are really grumpy fatherless people on this site :D:D:D

4. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    Some of what I say is true. The rest is show business.
    - George Burns -
    (He might be an ancestor)

5. Wayne

Drives:
    Capri
    Thanks for the welcome. The engine is a BOA that I removed from the one owner donor car, it had about 70k miles on it so hopefully still some life left. I gather the loom is fairly simple on the BOA. I am planning on using a modified MT75 gearbox and as many standard v6 capri parts as possible to make life easier - crossmember, steering, fuel tank. Axle I'm undecided as I'm not too familiar with the different ford types, its a 1600 laser perhaps someone can tell me which axle it has standard? Will be buying a helical LSD for whichever axle I end up with.

6. caprinerd

Drives:
    Wasnt he Montgomery Burns, out of the Simpsons, old dad?
    the BOA is a nice straight forward engine, and i think the BOA and BOB looms can be used but on the BOB only the BOB loom can be used, its been a while since i did the engine build, but im sure some one will correct me if im wrong, the Diff ratio is different on the 1.6 through to 3.0 2,8 and 3.0 both shared the same ratio for the final drive (diff) the other thing you may well need to do is sort your clocks out as you run a 4 pot engine and the 6 pot engine has a different Tacho (Rev counter) there are a few other bits to consider as well but will try and sort them as you go, take some pics and post them into Members cars any problems just ask in one of the rooms we have and your sure to get the help you need bud

7. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    Welcome in Wayne.
    Plenty of advice & data here..
    Hope the build goes well, get the engine checked over before you start, plenty posts on what to look for
    Get a Members Capri thread started up and diary your way forward..

8. Ptgladstone

Ptgladstone Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Peter gladstone
    We have plenty of 24v cosworth experts on this site..

9. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    standard Laser 1.6, axle is a Salisbury type, 3.75:1 ratio.. good bit is it’s the same casing and dimensions as big brother 2.8/3.0 litre..
    So if you’re going to build a LSD type, use your axle but change to the 3.09:1 ratio to match engine size..
    You can also simply fit a set of 2.8/3.0 brakes while it’s all in bits..
    Next decision will be what trans in lieu of the existing T9 ??

10. Wayne

Drives:
    Capri
    Thank you that is very helpful, I have a modified MT75 on the way so plan to test fit everything first. Might need a custom propshaft? Once I know everything bolts up as it should I can remove the engine and go through it. Great news about the axle casing and thank you for advice on the ratio, hopefully the 1.6 half shafts are the same as the 2.8? Unsure at this stage whether a rear disc conversion is necessary or maybe overkill as I gather I can only fit 280mm front brakes under the 13" 2.8 alloys I plan to use.

11. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    which 28i alloys?
    15inch gives you way better scope for brakes, and much better tyres too.. if yours are 7spoke, go for the RS Catalogue/280 version.. lots about, same style
    the half shafts are the same in that axle.. tbh, rear discs arent really necessary, when 9inch drums can be fitted and work well.. the ratio front to rear is like 70/30, the rear brakes hold the car in line, its the fronts that really do the stopping..
    also if you beef the rear up to much, it will lock-up as the weight transfers to the front ...

12. Wayne

Drives:
    Capri
    I have the 7 spoke 2.8i alloys. I know the 15's give better choice for brakes and tyres but I like the standard look. The brooklands ones are slightly too big for my taste, 2.8 rear drums suits me fine then. Makes things easier. Thanks again for the info

13. caprinerd

Drives:
    the rear discs on a road car , as said, arent going to make squat difference on the capri, if its a cosmetic thing, the look, them fair play can not argue on that