Removing the fuel filler pipe

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by kenny james, 6 June 2021.

1. kenny james

kenny james Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    3.0 GXL
    Hi Folks, I can’t get the filler door to open and close on the half x-pack body kit. As drastic as it may seem my best option is an aero type filler. I need to remove the filler pipe, can this be done with the petrol tank in situ? Is the fuel filler pipe mild steel or alloy?

2. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    the filler pipe as I recall is fixed at the cap end, pushes into the tank on a simple rubber grommet, its a mild steel pipe, definitely not alloy ..
    would most likely have to drop the tank to get enough space to remove it ..

3. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    is this MK1 ?

4. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    no Mate - its a Capri II with a kit ... always a sh!t to organise the fuel filler cap..

5. kenny james

Drives:
    3.0 GXL
    86 Laser with a half x-pack. Just bought a 90 degree elbow and a 40cm straight fuel filler pipe along with a Sparco aero filler and fuel funnel also had to buy a pipe to connect the elbow to the straight pipe. Still not sure how I’m going to do this but think I will cut the fuel tank pipe off turn it slightly and point it up into the rear quarter. There isn’t enough space within the rear quarter for a fuel funnel and elbow so I will have to modify the inside panel and original fuel filler housing. The higher up the panel I fit the fuel filler the narrower it gets and the lower it’s fitted it interferes with the body kit. I need to get the original fuel filler off and plan to do that Friday, should have all the parts delivered by then. This is where I got to. 0E4C87EB-7F2C-4062-9274-131ABE5D0F50.jpeg

6. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    i saw one of these and the guy had made a flap that opened downwards not sure how he did it but looked good but im talking about 10years back

7. kenny james

Drives:
    3.0 GXL
    I had thought about the flap opening downwards but thought it might catch the petrol pump filler. Getting fed-up with it as I had thought the rear would be in primer by now.

8. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK3 STRATOS SILVER 3.0 GHIA
    I would stick to it, if you go with the aero style you will kick yourself, there's a fair few ways around it, I've worked in R and D for many years so I can sympathise with your frustration, but it is achievable, l will be spending many hours on front wing alignment, to some the gaps are acceptable, to me they are massive, probably exaggerating, but to me it's got to be better than factory, because they are worth it.