Search for information on car history

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bradders, 25 August 2021.

1. bradders

bradders Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri Brooklands
    Hi all, just joined as a member today and I'm after some advice. I bought a Capri Brooklands Turbo technics conversion about a month ago and unfortunately there are a few missing bits of history on the car. I'm trying to find out if possible what dealership the car was bought from when new and details of the first few original owners of the car. I have filled out a V888 form which I sent off to DVLA last week requesting details of the first few keepers from new ( not that I'm expecting much success there but thought I'd at least try! ) Any advice or tips would be very welcome at this point!

2. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    DVLA will only return strictly car data now .. the V888 process got disabled due to the data protection rules (GDPR)
    Capri 280s are fairly few now.. Have you checked with Mick Ward and the 280 register

3. bradders

Drives:
    Capri Brooklands
    Ok many thanks for the reply, I thought I was probably wasting my time with the DVLA lol
    Is Mick Ward on the forum for me to be able to get in touch to ask? Sorry if that sounds daft but only just signed up on here tonight!

4. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
  5. bradders

Drives:
    Capri Brooklands
    Thanks for the links I'll take a look!

6. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    Welcome to the forum and good luck on your quest,
    How many former keepers has she had also if you post up the 3 letters of your reg Al (clockwork orange) can do a quick check and tell you what area it was sold from so then you could look up a Ford dealers in that area and see if they have sold your Capri from new and see if it was a special order from TT or if it was converted after it was bought by a later owner

7. bradders

Drives:
    Capri Brooklands
    Ok thanks for the reply

Last 3 letters are KVN

The TT conversion was done later and the plate in the engine bay for this is dated June 1989

From the logbook it now has 7 previous keepers

8. caprinerd

Drives:
    from what i can tell it was first bought in Middlesbrough, im sure Clockwork Orange will either confirm or reject this for me, as on my list the VN was that area so may well be a Jennings car dealer who were bought out by Bookers

Clockwork Orange likes this.
  9. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    Correct Rog.. .. VN
    North Yorkshire up to 1974
    Middlesburgh till new system in 2001

10. bradders

Drives:
    Capri Brooklands
    Thanks guys appreciate that.

I suppose it will be pretty much impossible with data protection nowadays to obtain anything re the first few keepers of the car?

Like I mentioned I did send off the V888 form but knew at the time I was probably wasting my time

11. caprinerd

Drives:
    my first port of call would be to locate the garage that sold it to start with, and have them contact the first buyer/owner and ask for permission to give their name, with the capri, and we do get alot of it on here, people are interested to see if their old capri is still about and where abouts it is i even had a guy come up from brighton just to have his photo done with his old capri, and he even showed me a cut out switch he fitted which i knew nothing about, this was a mk1 1.6gt xlr
    So as i say locate the dealer first and work from there

12. bradders

Drives:
    Capri Brooklands
    Many thanks, I'll give it a try and see how it goes!

13. bradders

Drives:
    Capri Brooklands
    Just got off the phone with Jennings over in Middlesbrough. Looks like a complete non starter there. The manager there said he's worked there for over 20yrs (just before Lookers took over)
    He said even if they had the info on record still under the recent GDPR regs they would not be able to contact the original owner from new unless they could justify it, which in this case he said they wouldn't be able to.
    And even if they could he said they only keep financing/contract agreements on record for 6 yrs and servicing records for 10 yrs. So given everything was paper based back then there's absolutely zero chance of getting anything. And he said even if I got in touch with Ford UK they would just refer me back to the dealer from where I got it from.
    I did join the Capri 280 club on Facebook last night so I may see if there's someone on there who has any knowledge of the car or knows someone that may be able to offer some info. I think this is the only option I have left right now.

14. caprinerd

Drives:
    Sorry it didnt work, but was worth a shot

15. bradders

Drives:
    Capri Brooklands
    Even so, appreciate the help guys

16. Kyle Park

Kyle Park Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Ford Capri Cosworth BOA 2.9
    Hi
    Might sound daft but I've had a little joy with mine. Enter the reg on the search bar on Facebook. It brings all posts with your reg plate either posted about or even pictured. Mine comes up with loads of posts and it's full of comments where people recognise the car and tag the previous owners saying is this your old car?
    Also try Google search which can even bring up previous for sale adverts.
    Kyle