'Stardust'

Discussion in 'Members Capris' started by ADB, 21 February 2019.

1. ADB

ADB Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Hi all,

I've been quiet of late, had a little project to get on with, Cora is well after her make over in 2014, no change with her ;)

[​IMG]

Hope your sitting comfortably.

I have a little story Id like to share, and it involves a 1974 MkII Capri 1.6cc XL GMH 8O8N :);)

Like a lot of car enthusiasts I never thought I would come across a ‘barn find’ (dry garage to be exact).

In late Feb 2017 a family friend told me of an ‘old wreck' in the 'old man’s garage’ that had to ‘dealt’ with along with his estate/house etc after he had passed away in the November of 2016.

As far as they were concerned it was just an ‘old Ford’ that their dad had loved once but had stood unused since 1978 and needed moving to the scrap yard ASAP.
    I was the only person they knew who had any interest or knowledge of Capris, so I agreed to drive down to Bristol on a cold Thursday in early March 2017.

On arriving and after a few handshakes and an offer of a coffee I was lead to the 1970’s designed double garage at the rear of the property, I was expecting a mess in the house, garden and surrounding area as I’d been told he was a loner and had passed away aged 95. But was pleasantly surprised to see weeded boarders, mowed lawns, a very tidy house and garage area all still furnished as if it were still 1976.

'Odd' thought I.

The side door was unlocked and we stepped into a slightly dark garage, and there in the far corner was the unmistakable Capri shape.

The main door was opened and leaves blew into the garage to reveal a 1.6 Lt 1974 MkII Capri XL in Stardust Silver (I was later to discover it was built at the Halewood plant in 1974).
    And this showed in the level of poor quality in many things on the car, paint condition being one of the bad areas, basically paint straight onto metal!

My first reaction was Wow, a perfect vinyl roof! One look at the tyres, all original and in good condition.

The key (two keys, one unused) were passed to me and I unlocked the driver’s door, it was stiff but opened perfectly, no drop, I peered inside, the smell of 35 years of standing hit me, then I peered at the clock, 18,230 miles !

I stood back and started asking questions through my now tepid cup of coffee.

Seems GMH8O8N was bought new by Tom in October 1974 from Reynolds Ilford Ford dealership for £1701.63

It was bought for his wife as a present.
    It was duly registered in her name and for the next 4 years it pottered between home, her work place and the shops. It was serviced twice by Reynolds the main dealer and went through one MOT with no advisories (naturally), plus had a new clutch fitted as it was slipping (or so the paper work says).

Tom was a meticulous person, his attention to detail is evident in his record keeping of the car, its maintenance records, his little hand written notes in both his Haynes manual, the ford workshop manuals he acquired, his notes are all annotated with, dates, costs, mileages in neatly hand written pen, plus notes on all of the service part boxes he bought as spares, even after he had removed items, these included charge times, dates and ‘ampage’ before and after charging the battery.

Sadly in 1978, Toms wife, who he must have adored passed away suddenly, it would seem that his life was then frozen in time, the car was covered up, just as she had left it, her driving ‘pumps’ left on the transmission tunnel in front of the gear stick, her ‘brolley’ on the back seat, her cigarette stubs in the ash tray with lip stick still visible, her sun glasses and a 1970’s windscreen de-icer can still in the glove box. The house was the same, her hand bag still on the kitchen counter, time froze for Tom, the house he and his wife had bought brand new and GMH 8O8N.

And that’s what I found when I opened the car up, everything exactly as she had left it, as if she had just climbed out of it the day before, a very odd feeling.

So with Toms 70 yr. old daughter stood in front of me asking what I thought and whether I could shift it asap as she wanted to call the scrap man in, I just said, I’ll have it !

Discussions then went into finances and I offered them a good fair price, they were over the moon.

I then jacked the car up and clambered all around it, couldn’t find any nasty surprises at all, well for 18,230 miles what was there to be found??

I ‘popped’ the bonnet and there was a pristine 1.6 pinto, an engine I know so well, I removed the plugs and dropped my ¾"AF spanner on the crank bolt and turned the engine over, it moved straight away. Sold thought I!

I then cranked up my compressor and blew the slightly low tyres up, only a few PSI needed as the car had been on blocks, whilst it was up in the air I crawled underneath and with my torch in hand searched in vain for any signs of corrosion on the floor pans, brake lines etc, all had been ‘Ziebarted’ in November 1974 at Reynolds Motors Dagenham Essex at an extra price of £49 on the purchase price of £1701.63 inc VAT.

I then rolled her out into the sunshine for the first time since Oct 1978.
    I stood back and took in the sight! WOW !!

Only damage was from 'Garage scares' catching the wall at some time, and a rear quarter dent that something must have hit, nothing serious

Next issue was to get her back to Nottinghamshire where I live, a few calls later and Id got the use of a trailer for beer tokens and a mate who was willing to tow it her back, yet again for the standard 'coinage' of beer and food.

So the last Saturday in April dawned and we set off for Bristol, no problems, well none until one of the four trailer tyres blew out!
    You try finding a supplier of trailer tyres in rural Somerset on a Saturday afternoon when your stuck in a service station on the M5 !" Not easy, but none the less an adventure.

We got her loaded up and headed off up north and home by the early evening.

I then spent the next 4 months recommissioning her, nothing was seized, nothing was corroded, all went to plan, bit by bit, first the engine, and fuel system was sorted and being very simple that took no time at all.

Then rear and front brakes over haul new cylinders at the rear and new seals and pistons on the front.

The day came when I was happy enough to start her, a few dry runs and then I fitted the rota arm and after a few turns she fired up and idled no trouble!

Next was try the gears, the gear lever then came off in my hand, the plastic bush had disintegrated! A new stick was found and fitted, then straight into gear, I’ve since restored the original gear stick and reinstated it.

All the electrics amazed me, all worked, even the heater motor and horn! Side light bulbs were still working but both side light bulbs had dropped out of the back of the head light bowls as the grommets had perished, easy fix !
    I like them lol

Once I had sorted everything mechanically including restoring the wheels I needed to put her through an MOT, I booked her into a local garage for a Friday afternoon, insured her and very gingerly drove her the four miles, she drove perfectly.

I wasn’t expecting her to pass first time, but all that they found was a leaking master cylinder, (which wasn't there when I left) a steering rack bush had disintegrated and the rear brakes were binding!
    That’s all!"

That was the 26th August 2017 and after fixing the failures one week later I took her back for a free retest, and she flew through!

I drove home with a big daft smile on my face

I was over the moon to say the least!

[​IMG]

Rolled out into the spring sunshine, first time since 1978

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 February 2019
  2. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18,230 miles ! :)
    [​IMG]

Exactly how Toms wife left it in 1978

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Never used

[​IMG]

Halewood's paint quality :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lovely Roof ;)

[​IMG]

Oily bit, (but not oily at all)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Underneath

[​IMG]

Nice badge

[​IMG]

Move day, April 2017
    Onto the trailer
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leaving her home of the last 43 years

[​IMG]

Home

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Work starts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wheels

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And MOT day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leaking master cylinder

[​IMG]

Fixed

[​IMG]

Back the next Friday

[​IMG]

Yes !! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

September 2017, took her to Newark Auto Jumble and a local evening car meet just at the end of the season

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next instalment soon ;)

Last edited: 21 February 2019
    TheRealExile likes this.
  3. mgentry90

mgentry90 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Nice story and a superb find

ADB likes this.
  4. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    Great story ! Of all the Capris owned by forum members, I think it highly possible that stories like this will be repeated a few times in the future, and some of their lucky finders haven't been born yet. Must have been in the stars for this one to find you.
    Fly low, mate.

Not_Anumber and ADB like this.
  5. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    wonderful, a nice single stalk early Mk2 ..
    amazing rescue, and really appreciate your care and explanation of the former owners - good work, lovely story..

ADB likes this.
  6. Lord Flasheart

Lord Flasheart Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Panzer, Jeep, CBR600, 3.0 Ghia
    Love the story, well done for rescuing her ;)

ADB likes this.
  7. CapriGear

CapriGear Capri Gear Trader

Drives:
    Ford Focus, BMW 540i
    Love this car, it's in good hands.

ADB likes this.
  8. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    that's a great endorsement ..

ADB likes this.
  9. tazla

tazla Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk2 3.0s
    Lovely car .great story .enjoy

ADB likes this.
  10. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Morning all,
    Thanks for the comments, much appreciated ;)

11. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    So where were we ?
    Arh yes.......

September 2017

I drove her around the local area during September covering about 100 trouble free miles, took her to a couple of late year classic car meets at local pubs, she was very well received even in her scabby state.
    I decided that the best way forward for her considering her poor paint work (Ford Halewood quality seemed to be pretty shocking) that I would have to have her taken back to bare metal and repainted properly, so made it my mission to drive her around to quite a few local restoration/body shops just to get a feel for cost involved in the cosmetic side of bringing her back to life, to be honest I wasn't impressed with the reaction I got from most 'experts'. I had so many widely differing opinions and prices even when I explained exactly what I wanted.
    In the end it came down to a chance meeting with a local body shop, as I drove past their premises one afternoon whilst out driving her. And as per usual in life these things are mainly based on two people seeing eye to eye, and luckily with the guy I found that was just the case, he 'spoke my language. A price was agreed and a scope of work I wanted him to do, noting to serious, as I would do most of it.

And so in early October I began the strip down, working towards a late January 2018 date for my body shop guys to come and collect her. The collection date moved ever further back until end of June 2018, as my body shop were very busy (a good sign) and I did say 'no rush'
    In that time I systematically stripped everything off her, bagged and tagged every single item that is going to be reused and resorted, 99% of the original parts.

The chrome had suffered whilst stood in a dry garage for 40 years, so I went looking into rechroming, neither easy nor inexpensive especially the bumper as the size is very prohibitive, in my searching I came across two brand new front and rear bumpers, still in their Ford Bags, perfect !
    The other items such as handles went off for rechroming and polishing.
    Whilst doing all of this I did however find a local guy who took the original bumpers and for cash and over a number of months bring them back to a beautiful shine. (They are going to be used on the car and the new ones stored)

The Ally parts, again after some searching I came across a polishers I could trust and all were polished to a statin look.
    Every single screws bolts washers etc, all bead blasted (by me) and reanodized in the correct shade of yellowy/gold. at a very old fashioned Derby based plating place (Nuns St platers) A Brilliant place !

Alternator, brake servo/master cylinder and starter all restored my good self along with a myriad of sundry items that needed some TLC.

I built an engine lift frame and bought a hoist and the engine came out in early November, on a F****** cold that day !

It was then stripped and rebuilt over the December 17/Jan/Feb 18 period, very enjoyable for saddos like me.
    I decided I wanted the engine bay to look like new to match the exterior paint work so it had to be 'de' Ziebarted.
    And a 3 weekend period followed of ‘De’ Ziebarting the engine bay, which involved 3 gallons of petrol, a scrapper a few tooth brushes and a pair of trainers (petrol eats trainers, I found out lol ) !

The interior came out over the Xmas break, well what else would you do with Xmas? Apart from clean the interior parts from a 1974 Ford Capri in your front room whilst listening to music (not Xmas music!)

All came up like new, Im so pleased with the results, all then stored upstairs.

Paint condition, a good reason for restoration

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a garage scare, another reason for repainting

[​IMG]

Started at the front end (not sure why)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Never been cut, so removed them very carefully

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Important reference info

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just some of the 'bits' left behind under carpets and inside panels that the Halewood lads dropped

[​IMG]

Handles before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bumpers
    New ones
    [​IMG]
    (originals re chromed)
    [​IMG]

Ally trim (some of it)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alternator refurb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Servo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 27 February 2019
  12. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    And hundreds of 'things'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engine bay clean up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Loom de Ziebarted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seats and trim Dec 2017

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next instalment soon :)

my928s4 and bruce_19 like this.
  14. Lord Flasheart

Drives:
    Excellent sir, I know exactly how your doing, reminds me of when I did mine during 2015-16 :) ……. fantastic job, keep the story coming please ;)

ADB likes this.
  15. pas28i

pas28i Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.8injectionSpecial, golf gti mk2
    Love the car and love the story so far, no doubt one of the best mk2s when finished!

16. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Glad Im rekindling memories, :) Will do ;)

17. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Thanks, here's hoping, as long as I keep focused :)

18. barnfind

barnfind Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    2.8i Special
    Thanks for sharing this story so far, it's great to see this capri saved by an enthusiast

ADB likes this.
  19. capri280

capri280 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Wife MAD!!!!
    great work there

ADB likes this.
  20. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Next instalment

I had a long wait for the call to come in from the paint shop, there was no rush, I was raising money for the works and they were very busy, as 'classics' aren't their bread and butter.
    Whilst waiting I spent months going through every single item Id stripped off her, cleaning, painting, re anodising, etc, etc.
    She was finally collected on a roasting hot end of June evening.

I visited her many times during the prep and paint process and came back in September 2018, I then began the job of cleaning her underside, everything off, cleaned and repainted.

Waiting..................

[​IMG]

Waiting....................

[​IMG]

Off she goes, end of June 2018

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally in the 'shop'

[​IMG]

Time to remove those scars

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Home in late September 2018

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 4 March 2019
  21. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Bonnet

[​IMG]

Then the underside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gearbox and prop shaft

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Organised mess

[​IMG]

my928s4 likes this.
  22. Lord Flasheart

Drives:
    Looking fab mate :)

ADB likes this.
  23. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    The story continues................

In Mid December 2018, after finishing the detailing of the underside, I rolled her inside the garage, as I was going to be working aboard all of Jan 2019.

Pushed her inside and the eclectic lights showed up a paint defect I had just not noticed whilst outside :(:(:(

Micro blistering, 3 very tiny areas on the horizontal surfaces, in different areas of the car, odd..... so work stopped , called the body shop and organized with them that she would be coming back to them in early February.

So once back from aboard I got fixed hitch and asked the old man to tow me the 5 miles to the shop on a freezing cold Saturday morning.
    The rework took two weeks, one of those weeks was waiting for a new windscreen seal to arrive :mad:
    She finally came back home (again) in late Feb for me to start the rebuild process (again)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arrhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, nooooooooo ! :(

[​IMG]

A cold Saturday morning

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And back home (again)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First interior panel in, see if you can spot the deliberate mistake somewhere on that panel

[​IMG]

I wasn't happy with the surface finish of the bodywork under the fuel flap, so rubbed it all back, filler primed, wet and dried smooth, re sprayed with my trusty modelling airbrush ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And found a classic built of Ford Halewood quality (again)

Rear off side quarter light, not fully sealed, they must have gone out on strike during sealing it and banged it back in afterwards

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Resealed

[​IMG]

And that bring the story up to date.

Whilst taking the underside to bits I found out that the exhaust was the original Ford fitted unit, so decided to reuse it as it had flown through the MOT in Sept 17.

Ground back the crap, bead blasted, and only found two small holes !
    Then patched it with a S/S shim, spot welded in place and sealed it, then a few coats of high temp paint and baked in one of the large ovens at work (don't tell the boss)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and even recovered all the brackets and had them re anodised along with lots of other itmes from underneath

[​IMG]

More updates to follow as I go along :)

Last edited: 11 March 2019
  24. WimC

WimC Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Ford Capri MK1 '71
    Waw! This is really amazing! Once finished it will be concours worthy!
    I hope I can get mine in an equal state as yours.

ADB likes this.
  25. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    what a wonderful job ..
    well done

ADB likes this.
  26. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Thanks WimC
    I doubt it, its not at that level, its just at my level :)

Time and Patience and you will ;)

27. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Ta mate :)

28. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Steady couple of weeks since I last posted.
    Photos below tell the story ;)

The elusive fuel flap rubber (Thanks Martin :))
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to glue down the vinyl in this area (Ford didn't in 1974)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wasn't happy with the original gutter trim, so ordered some from East Kent, and made a fixture to form it round, (haven't tried it yet)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a forming tool for the ends (will update on my success rate)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riveted the original gutter clips on, then wasn't happy again so have begun the process of reverse engineering them and making new ones in Ally with Works equipment

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Work in progress, gotta slice them up now and machine the profile

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wasn't happy with original rubber seals so made new ones

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You gotta be smart when working on your own ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Struts ready for fitting

[​IMG]

Hope your enjoying

Clockwork Orange and my928s4 like this.
  29. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    can you elaborate on the way the rubbers are fitted to the bumper?
    your pics look like some kind of rivet, but on mine its like an M6 thread on the rubber strip, so I used number plate nylon nuts to retain it on my bumpers..

what was that you used ??

ADB likes this.
  30. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Sorry for the delay in answering

I reused the M6 studs that are attached to the rubber bum strip and fixed them on with S/S nilocks, then greased them and put heat shrink around each one just to tidy them up

[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 April 2019
  31. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    ah right ... thank you for the reply ..
    lots of effort going in to your re-fettle ... well done

ADB likes this.
  32. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Steady few week since the last update,

Fitted out the rear door, not got round to fitting the FORD Capri XL lettering yet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More work needed on the edging of the vinyl, Im not happy with it

[​IMG]

Then spent a while detailing the engine bay with my trusty Revell airbrush

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Last Saturday (20th April) the weather was perfect for engine fitting

[​IMG]

Stuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Exhaust on as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Servo/master cylinder combo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then down the pub !

33. Lord Flasheart

Drives:
    Excellent work there sir, your doing the old girl proud :)

ADB likes this.
  34. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Thanks, ;)

35. kalina

kalina Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Ford Capri MK3 2,0 V6
    honestly for me, one of best threads ever! And also the story behind the car is great, it worths more than a car!

Not_Anumber and ADB like this.
  36. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Thanks Kalina,

37. Lord Flasheart

Drives:
    Have you managed to fit the gutter trims ok in the end ? When we did my Mk3, it was the biggest pain in the arse of the whole restoration, used the black East Kent Trims & like you, have the factory vinyl roof, getting that last piece around the extended gutter rail used on the factory vinyl roof models was a proper ball ache :mad:

Clockwork Orange likes this.
  38. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Hi,

No not yet, Im concentrating on other stuff first, but I made a fixture to form it, and Im having ally ends wire eroded and CNC profiled at work when the lads and the machines are free, just so I don't have to rely on that crappy plastic thing !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

39. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Steady weekend, fitting all the 'bits' in the engine bay, might not look like much, but a lot of detailed careful fitting has gone on ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of empty bags and another empty box, means Im getting there :)

[​IMG]

40. Lord Flasheart

Drives:
    I know that last photo well, it was good a good feeling to be emptying bags & boxes :)

Good luck with those gutter trims ;)

ADB likes this.
  41. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Busy couple of weekends on the MkII.

One leak on both the water pump and elbow off the Carb which was very badly corroded when I refitted it last December, but putting water in the system soon found the holes, so I delved into my 1990s stock and found a new bagged one. The water pump dripped, so Francis came to the rescue with an original from his stock. Thanks mate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New cam cover gasket

[​IMG]

And some new oil and filter

[​IMG]

Door parts laid out
    Both doors now built up and retrimmed, Pleased with the results.

[​IMG]

I managed to save the original door inner plastic sheets so refitted them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing beats pealing protective covers off re polished things

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

42. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And last Friday 17th May, I along with my father got the engine running, went a treat !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interior in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the process of forming the gutter trim, using my home made jigs, heat and patience

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ive had new trim ends made by the lads in our machine shop, I reversed engineered the shape using the works CMM machine which plotted the shape of the old plastic one and then sent the file to wire eroder, which then carved out the shape, and we then used the wire eroder to slice 8 of them, then abit of filing and bobs your uncle !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Passenger side some time this coming week

Last edited: 21 May 2019
    WimC likes this.
  43. 302Capri

302Capri Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '79 Mk3 BOA, '69 Mk1 GT V8
    Great work especially on those trims. If you can't buy them, make them!

ADB likes this.
  44. Lord Flasheart

Drives:
    Absolutely spot on, you had the added issue of that tick shaped bit too, there was no way on my MK3 we could find that the East Kent trims would go right the way round the extended C shape of the gutter for those that have the vinyl roof, top work mate, a credit to you :)

ADB likes this.
  45. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Thanks mate,
    I was determined to get them as close to the originals as possible. Never expected to get the first one right first time around, it just seemed to work out just about right, the passenger side will probably be a total night mare lol

46. Lord Flasheart

Drives:
    Just be as patient as you have been & you will get there ;)

47. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    'Patience' Its my middle name ;)

Spent the evening last night forming the passenger side, no problems :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

48. Lord Flasheart

Drives:
    Excellent plan mate ;)

ADB likes this.
  49. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Always a rewarding part of any restoration, the badges :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Original position reference photo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Few video clips I've taken over the 2 year period of the restoration,
    June 2017, after some TLC and a service, I started her for the first time in 39 years

And Friday 17th May, first run after rebuild

And after a starter relay, starter motor change and a set up of timing she runs nicely

51. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Finishing touches began last Saturday, Im working toward having her on show at Wollaton park (Nottingham) show on June 9th with the Mansfield Capri club lads

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

52. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    sex on wheels

ADB likes this.
  53. Lord Flasheart

Drives:
    If your going to the Wonderland show I'll make a point of tracking you & the car down mate, really great car & story ;)

ADB likes this.
  54. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Hi mate, unfortunately Im not at Wonderland this year, my good lady has booked a holiday over that weekend !

Cant call her too many names, she's has been very understanding over the last two years of this project.

I plan, however to be at Wollaton Park show in Nottingham on Sunday 9th June with both her and Cora and Loughborough town classic day on Fathers day June 16th.
    Silverstone at the end of July and the Lanc do in August ;)

55. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    A lot of progress last weekend
    Passenger side gutter trim formed and fitted, including my trim ends

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Black boot polish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A pillar scratch gone !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slight damage sorted
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last 'to do' gets shorter !

[​IMG]

MOT booked for this coming Friday

56. blue74

blue74 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    ST24 Mondeo, Mk1 Capri (maybe one day)
    Its the small things like you are doing that count toward a good and outstanding car in the end. Looking neat.
    I like your to do list, it's getting shorter, mine just keeps on growing.

ADB likes this.
  57. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Thanks Blue74, I have to get the details correct, as the OCD kicks in :)

58. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Busy evening yesterday, 3/6/19

Windscreen seal trim fitted, without scratching anything !
    Corner finishers to fit next, Im making some news ones, the new trim profile is slightly different to the original and the corner things don't fit quite right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a job that's been worry me, fitting the bonnet, went without a hitch in the end !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pleased ;)

59. caprinerd

Drives:
    Looking awesome really nice build congratulations on you workmanship

ADB likes this.
  60. 302Capri

302Capri Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '79 Mk3 BOA, '69 Mk1 GT V8
    That's coming together really well!

ADB likes this.
  61. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Thanks, Im loving the detail and the ease of the last 2 years

62. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Yes Im liking the progress, thanks :)

63. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    Almost a shame to finish, use when you're getting so good at it all. Exemplary build, a car I wouldn't kick out of bed. :D

ADB likes this.
  64. tazla

tazla Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Mk2 3.0s
    Lovely job.lovely car .it makes me want to strip mine back down and re do it all .keep up the good work .

ADB likes this.
  65. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Thanks mate :)

66. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Blimey, thanks ;)

67. WimC

Drives:
    Ford Capri MK1 '71
    Never seen a MK2 as beautifull as this one!

ADB likes this.
  68. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    wonderful work, excellent attention to detail ..
    so nice to see the wish to preserve a car to its proper glory ..

wouldn't even blink if you were doing a proper wee Mini ..
    Your work on this Capri is just exemplary ..

ADB likes this.
  69. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    A slightly emotional evening on Wednesday

Had a Tx from the husband and wife who I bought stardust from back in 2017

They were up visiting family and could they pop in to see progress on her mother’s old car
    ‘Yes’ said I
    I didn’t get any photos as Lorraine was visibly emotional about it all, as it was her mothers car and it had some long past memories for her, her mother passed away in 1978, the year the car was 'put away' by her father.

They were both so pleased with how she looks now

Amazing what a car can do eh

I’m pleased

Not_Anumber likes this.
  70. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Oh thanks for that :)

71. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Thanks mate :)

72. Lord Flasheart

Drives:
    As I have said, along with your exceptional efforts, its the story as a whole that makes this so special.

I know what you mean about the emotional side, the chap I bought Biscuit off had lost his wife during his ownership of the car & had stopped using it, such that it hadn't moved for 18 months when I bought it. At the NEC show in 2016, Biscuit & I were very fortunate to be invited onto the Meguiars stand that year, I contacted the previous owner to let them know, to my surprise, the chap turned up with his son & grandkids on the Saturday, he was emotional enough seeing the car, having him sit in it just made the tears flow, but in a good way.

Its all about the memories ;) .... well done mate :)

ADB and PenelopesMaster like this.
  73. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Thanks mate, yeah very odd feeling, having someone shed a tear.

74. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Well that was quite a weekend, I was determined to get her through an MOT prior to Sundays Wollaton Hall classic show, so braved the rain on Saturday morning, gave the honour of driving her there and back to my father, which he loved.
    And Im glad to say she passed with flying colours :)

Gave her a really good clean Saturday afternoon, ready for the off at 9.30 Sunday morning with Cora (driven by my father with my mother) in convoy.
    The Mansfield Capri club lads welcomed us and she was shown all day, lovely weather, never missed a beat !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found and fitted her last Tax disc (got all 4 of them) along with her original tax disc holder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All original contents of the glove box left by Mrs Warner when she last got out of the car in 1978

[​IMG]

Sunday morning

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It got busy !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

75. barnfind

Drives:
    2.8i Special
    I am in awe of this project, as many others are. It's not just the car, its the story, the presentation, the family, the thought, the consideration, the craftsmanship, the end product. It's a unique read and one that makes me think differently - It's deep. It made me understand the meaning of `Tribute'.
    Thank You :)

fearthecat, Not_Anumber and ADB like this.
  76. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Thanks for the kind words, it is a tribute, it is great story, but its also me, I go to these lengths with anything mechanical, its kinda in my blood, having OCD ! :)

Thanks again

I will keep the thread updated over the season on where we get and the adventures we have ;)

barnfind likes this.
  77. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    I left her finished in the garage for 48hrs, come home from a long day at work and she's already a storage shelf !!
    FFS !
    I wonder sometimes :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

78. Crash & Burn

Drives:

Very well said. I'm feeling tributious now, too. I think I'll build a mobile shelf like that.

barnfind and ADB like this.
  79. Lord Flasheart

Drives:
    NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ADB likes this.
  80. barnfind

Drives:
    2.8i Special
    :cool: . . . could be a dirty protest by the other half, meaning you are grounded for the short term.

ADB likes this.
  81. mgentry90

mgentry90 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    capri obviously!
    Looks the opposite to me, it's cushioning to stop anything falling on it lol

ADB likes this.
  82. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK3 STRATOS SILVER 3.0 GHIA
    Great build, a very good friend owned a Mk2 from new and he thoroughly enjoyed his Capri days.
    This is just a query, are your headlights in the wrong way round, they just look awkward, the way they are aligned, and no, am not a spot weld counter, before anyone asks.

ADB likes this.
  83. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Thanks
    Yes they are, I fitted them the wrong way around, but refitted them using the photos I took of them prior to strip down, even checked the photos of her when I puled out of her 40 year hibernation, lights in the wrong way around !
    So it would appear that Ford fitted them wrongly at Halewood in 1974 (very possible considering all the other gaffs I've found) or that the young apprentice (must have been an apprentice job back in the day) that was given the unenviable task of Ziebarting her prior to collection by her one owner took the headlights out to spray around the headlight bowls and didn't refit them properly.
    Its the only thing I can think off ??

Look closely at the photo below, rolled out for the first time in 40 years, lights in wrong way around

[​IMG]

84. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Lovely evening last night so took her out to a local pub meet, she was well received

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Abit different to September 2017, when I first took to the same event her prior to restoration

[​IMG]

Lord Flasheart likes this.
  85. caprinerd

Drives:
    looks awesome and so much better with out the scatter cushions as well

ADB likes this.
  86. Lord Flasheart

Drives:
    Finally got to see Stardust yesterday at Warley, she really is beautiful :):)

A credit to you Andy, hope to see you again at the bomber run ;)

ADB likes this.
  87. caprinerd

Drives:
    i take it she is as good in life as on the pics then

ADB likes this.
  88. Clockwork Orange

Drives:
    am thinking - if you got to see Stardust, she will look better than a picture deposited on here ..

I always am happy to see other folks comments and pics of Capris compared to the owners postings.. perspective and all
    Stardust wins on that count..
    ADB done some job

ADB likes this.
  89. caprinerd

Drives:
    Well im hoping to see it doing the rounds Al and will post an honest view of it but im sure i want have a bad thing to say after seeing the build of this Angel, and to the purists out there see its not just the modded capris i go for so thats shut you up, and you know im talking about you by the quote "only modded capris" after all thats what you wrote:p

ADB likes this.
  90. Lord Flasheart

Drives:
    For me personally, more often its the story behind the car, how it found its current owner, tales of its previous owners, whatever it might be, doesn't matter if its modded to buggery, standard or all parts in between, there is a place for them all. We invariably put our own twist or flavour on them, whether its with parts, colours or details.

Stardust is a lovely car, I say that as someone who isn't keen on the front end looks of a mk2, my favorite has always been a mk3 but in going to shows over the last 5 years & have grown to really like the Mk1's, but in talking to the owner Andy at Warley & having previously read his story of finding the car, that's the attraction for me. He showed me how after revitalising most outside of the car & engine bay, something made him leave a bit of the original patina on the back of the headlights, which you can see when the bonnets open, they are rusty. You would think that with his efforts on the rest he would have refurbed them, but he wanted to keep something of a reminder of how it came to him ….. fair play I reckon.

ADB and Crash & Burn like this.
  91. BigJ

BigJ Registered Capri Power Member

Speechless :mad:

ADB likes this.
  92. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Thanks all for the comments
    Great to met you Lord and lady Flasheart

93. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    2019 has been a good one so far.
    Taken Stardust to plenty of events, and she's been well received

Photos cover; Warley, Gaydon, Ilkeston town centre show, East Kirkby and Thorseby Hall
    Around 900 miles covered and not one issue !

In Convoy on the A1M with laser, Francis and Claire, A very enjoyable trip

I think this 300 mile round trip was her longest single drive ever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gaydon, she finally clocked 19,000 miles on the way there after 39 years stuck at 18,230 miles !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ilkeston

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eat Kirkby with Cora as well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thorseby Hall nr Ollerton Notts on a blistering hot bank Holiday Monday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My 21 year old daughter and her boyfriend showed up, she thought it was 'cool', he thought is was f****** amazing (his words)

[​IMG]

Abit different to 20 years ago playing driving in Cora, time flys eh !

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 September 2019
    my928s4, mgentry90 and Crash & Burn like this.
  94. Crash & Burn

Drives:
    That does it, now I'm persuaded, that someday, I'll do something right. :)

ADB and mgentry90 like this.
  95. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Not done much the MkII recently, but with the NEC classic car show looming (thanks to Kev from the MkII Register she's been invited to attend).

So to that end I finally got round to making a press tool to create the stainless windscreen trim corner pieces (I didn't want to pay the £12 +PP each from East Kent trims) and my hand made versions were never perfect
    Im pleased with the results.

My original hand made versions, they' did' for time being.
    The square one above mine is the original form, east Kent trim only supply the rounded forms

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New Press tool, lovely !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

0,25mm S/S shim steel 'blank'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut in half

[​IMG]

'Trimmed up'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And in place

[​IMG]

Also got the original wheels and tyres out of my loft (I resorted them in 2017 as the wheels were corroded but I never fitted them, as the tyres are old and I liked the Ghia wheels)
    As she's going to be under the bright lights of the NEC classic car show in November so thought she would look better with her original wheels and tyres fitted.

The hub caps were removed back in 1978 and wrapped in newspaper, when I unwrapped them they just needed a little polish 'up'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also found these little gems in the box with the hub caps, 'period' 1977 de-icer from Woollies and a little Chief road atlas, with no M25 !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope to see some of you at the NEC

Last edited: 22 October 2019
  96. WimC

Drives:
    Ford Capri MK1 '71
    Nice! How did you get or create the press tool?

ADB likes this.
  97. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    Hi WimC
    Thanks
    I work within a company that has a whole manner of machine tools and all are at my disposal

98. WimC

Drives:
    Ford Capri MK1 '71
    Aha! You're at the source of all things!

ADB likes this.
  99. Lord Flasheart

Drives:
    Nice work mate ;)

ADB likes this.
  100. ADB

Drives:
    1.6 Laser
    I try;):)