Tickover workshop closing for good

Discussion in 'Capri Chit Chat' started by Lord Flasheart, 4 November 2021.

1. Lord Flasheart

Lord Flasheart Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Panzer, Jeep, CBR600, 3.0 Ghia
    Saw this posted on the Laser site so have copied it here for others to see

Taken from Capri World
    Their workshop skills and expertise will be sorely missed

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT (Tickover is 30 years old too!)
    After 30 years of business, Tickover as you know it will be closing.
    Gus and I started Tickover 30 years ago - our opening day was 1st January 1992. On 31st Dec 2021 we are parting our ways. Gus wants a change of direction after 30 years and it is going to be exactly 30 years to the day when it happens! He has worked bloody hard - Tickover would not have happened without him - Cheers little Bro!
    We are closing the current premises. Tickover will continue from a new location (still in Dartford), but as a spare parts supplier only. Phone numbers and email and website will all continue unchanged. Mail order and supply of new parts will be exactly the same. There will not be a workshop for servicing and fitting, but the knowledge will all still be accessible, so don't hesitate to call or email for advice.
    The other big upshot of all this is that because the new unit is smaller, the big pile of 2nd hand stuff cannot possibly all come to the new place. So all of that is going cheap. No reasonable offers will be refused. Call us if there is something you need - when it's gone it's gone. I don't think there will be any more breaking up of old Capris from now on.
    We are shovelling stuff onto Ebay too - so have a look at our stuff there.
    Meanwhile if we don't see or hear from you before, have a great Christmas and New Year and I hope to continue being your go-to supplier from then onwards.
    Cheers - Clive !
    EBAY bonanza
    We've been rummaging through all the 2nd hand stuff piled all round out workshop and stores. We're listing as much as we can on Ebay, because much of it is sitting about and forgotten. So might as well let it go to good homes, prices are keen and we will add things every day as we find them. Click the link to have a looksee !
    www.ebay.co.uk/str/tickoverretrofordparts

clicon357 likes this.
  2. clicon357

clicon357 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK2 1976 2.0L GL (rotten), Mk3 1983 2.0L "S" (basically just the shell), MK3 1.6L Cabaret (nearest to being back on the road) - all in bits! Focus 2.0 Ghia Zetec estate awaiting sills. 2.0S Mondeo Duratec estate for the daily.
    Got a pair of black, Ghia, rear door cards for £20.

3. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    After 30 years, it's as much a challenge to close in good style as it was to build the business. But time does have its way, and it's time now to thank Gus and Clive for their years of stellar service. This is a high-class place. Long live Tickover, congratulations and best wishes to Gus. Wherever he goes, I expect it will be in a classic Ford.
    Now, let's have a look at that link....

4. Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    '77 Mk II JPS '76 Mk II JPS
    One of those bonnets would be sold if I were closer..

5. caprinerd

caprinerd Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    people mad, round the bend, up the wall, crazy and nuts
    read about it on face ache last night and had a flick through the bay to see what was being sold, two poster was a temptation but untill im up and running no point in getting it

6. clicon357

clicon357 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK2 1976 2.0L GL (rotten), Mk3 1983 2.0L "S" (basically just the shell), MK3 1.6L Cabaret (nearest to being back on the road) - all in bits! Focus 2.0 Ghia Zetec estate awaiting sills. 2.0S Mondeo Duratec estate for the daily.
    I was tempted by the 2 poster as well. Went for £250.

7. caprinerd

Drives:
    nooooo
    just as well i didnt bid on it as it would have sat about for a while

8. jerome-v6

jerome-v6 Registered Capri Power Member

9. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    MK3 STRATOS SILVER 3.0 GHIA
    jerome-v6, you need to give a bit more detail.

10. caprinerd

Drives:
    Can we take it you had bad dealings with them

11. Clockwork Orange

Clockwork Orange Glasgow Subway- Keeping it simple since 1896 Staff Member Moderator

Drives:
    - Capri II '78 series V8 -
    seems a bit snotty .. Gus & Clive have supported a lot of Capri Owners thru the years ..

12. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

Drives:
    I'm very lucky, I've only had one bad experience with a garage, if anyone ever asks me for a recommendation, that's the garage I tell them to avoid with a barge pole.

13. CapriFreak

CapriFreak Established Member Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri 2.0
    called in the other day to pick up some bits for my new Capri struts. Mentioned I was looking for a wide lip rocker cover and they just gave me one (needs cleaning up of course). Nice guys! only been down once before but super helpful on the phone too when i've needed parts

14. jerome-v6

I had horrific dealings. I should have got an engineers report and taken legal action against them.
    I don't know how they charged me what they did and looked me in the eye and gave me the keys to my car.

Full engine balance and rebuild, I picked the car up,
    'How much weight did you take off the flywheel?
    'Don't know'
    How much tolerance were the pistons balances within?'
    'Don't know'
    Crankshaft oil seal not replaced, kept the same one that had been in there years, pissing oil out.
    Head gasket failed within 50 miles. The engine ran as rough as a diesel. I had to get Rick wood to rebuild the engine. he said that engine was a joke.

To quote other forum members ' They're breakers - NOT MECHANICS.

15. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

Drives:
    The one very bad experience that you want to tell everyone about, doesn't matter what other people's opinion is, you had the very bad experience, l would say a very dishonest rebuild of your engine.

16. jerome-v6

+ The cam wasn't run in correctly and with oil changes the oil would sparkle with the amount of metal in there. I was a stupid kid in my 20's back then. nowadays I would have been straight on them for what they did

17. caprinerd

Drives:
    with that experience its not a shocked that your pissed with them, hard to get a good rep very easy to lose it

18. atomic4

atomic4 Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri V8 4ltr Twin turbo. W reg 3ltr S.
    I certainly won't miss them either.
    Took my Capri down to them during the early 90's to get my strut top plates replaced. When I went to pick up my car, they'd just stuffed it into a corner and it was covered in crap. Considering I had brought the motor to them cleaned and polished too.
    On inspection of the above job request. I found that the strut top plates were fitted so badly, you could get your little finger under the overhang where the plate drops into the engine bay.
    They'd also broken my windscreen and didn't tell me about it. But I knew they'd changed my windscreen as my original had had my rego number etched into it.
    To cap things off, my car had overspray and of a different colour from another job within their site. Plus my passenger door glass had welding splats in it.

When I raised all of these issues with them. I was told to "F@#K off and take your motor". I never forgot those words and their attitude towards a paying customer.
    P.S I also had to get a jump start from them to get my car going too!!.

To say I was/am bitter about that experience is one I'll never forget. It's a pity they didn't shut down sooner. Or even better, was burnt down.

I would and have never recommended them to anyone ever. RANT OVER!!!!!!

SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA likes this.
  19. SIDEWAYS 3.0 GHIA

Drives:
    Don't think you are ranting, l see a lot of garages that don't give a toss about customer satisfaction.

20. Trophy Blue

Trophy Blue Registered Capri Power Member

Drives:
    Capri RS Cosworth & Mercedes E250 AMG
    Sorry to read bad experiences. I know how it feels with a different garage in Hornchurch.

I sent my car down to tickover only a few years. They wired up my digital dash ( I gave them the wiring instructions from Calvin). Also wired up my alarm, central locking and electric windows and sorted out some wiring problems.
    I was happy with the work. Called them a couple of times for advice and always gave me time and help.
    Glad to hear they are still going for parts and advice.
    I wish them all the best.

Last edited: 16 November 2021